Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-05-06, 08:24 PM   #13
PenGun

Default Re: XvMC and H.264 MPEG4 acceleration

It's likly they would like to charge for advanced hardware decoding as they have for the windows purevideo drivers.
It's possible they have not decided if and perhaps how to do this with the Linux drivers.

PenGun
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 03:32 AM   #14
scifi

Please please please Nvidia linux team, Bring us accelerated H.264 support to Linux! If there must be an license fee involved i guess many linux users would still buy it, i would!

It sucks not to beable to decode a h.264 stream om my linux machines. The only way to do this now is with a 2000$ computer that is has to consume 1000 watt of power and heat, Not the best machine to have next to your television set

Kind regards Staffan
scifi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 10:41 AM   #15
thirrdtenor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenGun
It's likly they would like to charge for advanced hardware decoding as they have for the windows purevideo drivers.
It's possible they have not decided if and perhaps how to do this with the Linux drivers.

PenGun
Isn't the PureVideo decoder an mpeg2 decoder with some post-processing (deinterlacing, scaling, etc)

H.264 decoders are provided through 3rd parties like intervideo and the core codec guys (and others), but accelerated through an NV API.

WMV (obviously MSFT) is accelerated through an NV API that I guess MSFT has leverged as well.

AFIAK, no mpeg2 decoders come bundled with windows because of licensing issues, the same goes with mpeg4. But no licensing issues are (or should not be) preventing nv from extending its XvMc API to mpeg4.
thirrdtenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 12:51 PM   #16
sherbey

Purevideo decodes H.264 along with WMV and MPEG2 according to their website:-
http://www.nvidia.com/page/purevideo.html

I would cheerfully pay the US$19.95 that the windows version of purevideo costs if it were ported to linux, whether it comes as part of the video driver or as a stand-alone program
sherbey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 02:00 PM   #17
clemh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbey

I would cheerfully pay the US$19.95 that the windows version of purevideo costs if it were ported to linux, whether it comes as part of the video driver or as a stand-alone program
I don't believe you have to pay for purevideo anymore. See release notes for latest windows driver.
clemh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-06, 02:07 PM   #18
thirrdtenor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbey

"Programmable video processor accelerates H.264, WMV, and MPEG-2 high-definition movies."

It's misleading, I agree. But WMV uses the MSFT codecs which can be accelerated with DxVA, same goes for H.264 from 3rd parties like intervideo. Nvidia does have their own mpeg2 codec (which comes with players like theatertek). AFAIK there is no Nvidia h.264 codec.
Old 11-06-06, 02:14 PM   #19
thirrdtenor

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemh
I don't believe you have to pay for purevideo anymore. See release notes for latest windows driver.
I think you are right, however if you want the NV mpeg2 codec and player application (nmedia something...) you still have to pay for that. You also get Doldy digital & DTS decoders, this is a DVD player application and thats what you are (were always) paying for.

Regardless, I think we all agree XvMc acceleration of h.264 would be great. But my guess would be, codecs would need to be modified to take advantage of it.
Old 11-10-06, 07:51 AM   #20
sherbey

I think there are several layers to getting H.264 accelerated playback in linux, but the first link in the chain is XvMC in the driver. Other parts are codeable in applications I think (mplayer, xine and mythtv all talk to the XvMC interface directly, rather than through ffmpeg).

As Pace are bringing out a freeview PVR dvb-s2 receiver early next year (TDS850), I may well spend my hard-earned on that rather than take a flyer with a somewhat more expensive PC solution that probably won't work. Shame, but HEY.

I think what linux needs more than anything is a 'runs linux for sure' sticker a bit like the microsoft 'designed for windows' or the 'intel inside'. Tracking odd chip changes in allegedly identical hardware makes linux a bit of a lottery; and getting hardware that's trumpeted as performing a particular task when in fact its all in the windows driver ONLY sucks monumentally.

I can only applaud nvidia for supporting linux drivers when most other hardware suppliers don't, but the absence of even a reply from nvidia on this thread and the others on this subject is poor I think.
sherbey is offline   Reply With Quote