Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-03-06, 08:54 PM   #1
gregf

Angry card dead

Was doing some work earlier today and x started acting funny. Rebooted now i have blue blocks on my screen. I know its not the monitor because i tried a older card. So i would assume my brand new 120$ video card **** the bed within 4 months. Not real impressed but i don't think i'll be buying another gigabyte ever again. I doubt they are going to replace it.

Question is now. What should i buy? The extent of my gaming is quake3 / quake4 or armamgetronad, maybe some supertux. Mostly used for work. What are some newish cards that hopefully will last longer than this one. No idea on what brand i should buy. I know i want nvidia but other than that not sure what i should get. Also, something that has a fan that wont die in a few days as well. Another known problem with cards these days from what i'm seeing.

Thanks in advance everyone.
gregf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-06, 09:14 PM   #2
Rytr
SuperMod

Default Re: card dead

Need to post some specs/info. Like AGP or PCI-e, etc.
Rytr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-06, 09:26 PM   #3
gregf

Sorry, looking for pci-e other than that long as its a decent card with some good cooling i'll be happy. Like i said not a big gamer. Just want to know who is making some solid cards. Hear good things about evga although i'm not sure.
Old 11-03-06, 10:58 PM   #4
gregf

Question Re: card dead

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150128

thinking of that with the 2 year warranty right now. Still looking for recommendations on a stable card. Good fan is important to me. All the fans on these look about the same so unsure.
Old 11-04-06, 05:30 AM   #5
Thunderbird

I'm not sure what your previous card was, a 7300GS corresponds roughly to a geforce6200, if you want something faster (I guess your old card was perhaps a 6600) a 7600GS might be an option. I would also recommend to add better cooling to your system case as I think that is one of the reasons why it dies.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 12:04 PM   #6
Rytr
SuperMod

I agree, 7600 GS or GTS.
Old 11-04-06, 03:24 PM   #7
gregf

Sorry just got a chance to get back to you guys. I had a 6800GS last time and was more than happen with the performance like i mentioned not much of a gamer. More looking on opinions to brand. evga? xfx? Just had a bad experience with giga-byte so not looking to buy that again right now.
Old 11-04-06, 06:12 PM   #8
Rytr
SuperMod

All you will get is opinions because the only real difference in specific models is the brand. Yes, some mfgs offer increased clock speeds based on picked GPUs and memory but those are usually at premium prices for the specific model. Most all, in the categories you are looking at, are reference design. So just go with the brand you like best or better yet go with the one that has the cheapest price.

Old 11-04-06, 07:45 PM   #9
Bearclaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregf
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814150128

thinking of that with the 2 year warranty right now. Still looking for recommendations on a stable card. Good fan is important to me. All the fans on these look about the same so unsure.
I had this as my first card and I thought it did well. It runs cool compared to the 7600 GT KO I have now. It is quiet too.
Old 11-04-06, 08:07 PM   #10
gregf

Thanks for everyones info on the subject. Think i'll go with the XFX Geforce 7300GS as mentioned. Going to get a two year warranty through newegg this time and save myself the hassle if it dies.