Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-14-06, 05:36 AM   #133
bagman

Default Re: Splinter Cell Double Agent (PC)

Hi there
I thought I would post my settings for the game as it may assist some people.

Using the following, I get between 25-50fps with an average in the mid-30's.
1280x1024
HDR: off
Soft Shadows: off
AF: 8x
Shadow Resolution: Medium
Trinlear: On
High Quality Textures: on
V-sync: off
60hz refresh rate
Hardware Shadow mapping: on
Environment details: High
High Detail shader: on
AA 4x
91.47 nVidia drivers

I created a game profile using both the SCDALauncher and the SplinterCell4.exe. They both show up in Manager 3D settings but changes to one is enabled in both.
Driver settings are High Quality and no optimizations. Supersampling is enabled in Transparency filtering and Gamma correct AA is On. I am using alternate frame rendering 1 for the Multi-GPU Performance mode.
I also set affinity to CPU "0" when the game launches, though I must confess that I see no difference when both CPU's are enabled.

Touch wood, but after various crashes to begin with, the above seems to work for me.

I should add that I am in the very early stages of the game ( Geothermal Plant) so there is plenty of time yet for something to go wrong , but hope that the above may help some of you

cheers
bagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-06, 05:38 AM   #134
rewt
mmm, Beer.. :drooling:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagman
I have found what appears to be the SplinterCell4.exe to use when making your own Game Profile.
Can any of yu guys confirm I have the correct .exe file.
yeah, I think thats it. Just add that .exe to the SplinterCell4 profile that already exists. Why nvidia added a profile only for online exe, who knows...

Quote:
I am using alternate frame rendering 1 for the Multi-GPU Performance mode.
Try AFR2 (2404409)

That is the profile in more recent drivers. 95.xx + I think
Athlon64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.6GHz (4100+) · Win XP Pro x86, Vista Ultimate x64 · eVGA K8-NF41 nForce4 SLi · Corsair XMS 1.5GB PC3200 CAS2/1T · eVGA 2x 6600GT SLi · Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe · Western Digital Caviar SE ½TB RAID 0/1 · PowerLink LPK2-30 400W · LiteON LDW-411S OC to 811S 8x DVD±R/RW/ROM · MicroAdvantage 64MB QuickiDrive · Samsung SyncMaster 931B 19" LCD · Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB · Sony PSXtoUSB Analog Gamepads · Memorex MX2700 Multimedia Keyboard · Lexmark 3200 Color Jetprinter · nForce Network Controller 1Gb/s LAN (Cable ~3Mb/s down) · ΩPioneer Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound

Last edited by rewt; 11-14-06 at 05:49 AM.
rewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-06, 05:46 AM   #135
pg_ice

Quote:
though I must confess that I see no difference when both CPU's are enabled.
so the game is NOT optimized for X2s.
Ubi Soft talks bull then.

what about Core2s? do they get the FPS to move in SCDA??
pg_ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-06, 05:55 AM   #136
bagman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pg_ice
so the game is NOT optimized for X2s.
Ubi Soft talks bull then.

what about Core2s? do they get the FPS to move in SCDA??
I just re-ran the game again

When running with my FX-60 there is a small FPS difference between both cores and single core.
Single core runs a few FPS faster i.e. about 5-10FPS depending on where in the map you are. I do notice that as you turn Sam around the FPS can vary by about 10FPS. Similar situation exists with Oblivion

I also tried AFR 2. No good for my 91.47's....as I exit to desktop I get a Windows message "SplinterCell4.exe has ecountered a problem and must close "

cheers

Last edited by bagman; 11-14-06 at 06:07 AM.
bagman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-06, 06:34 AM   #137
pg_ice

Quote:
Single core runs a few FPS faster i.e. about 5-10FPS
as i said
something is wrong with this game
"optimized för dual CPUs" does that mean that you can run the game with dual core without crashes.
great Ubi Soft! you sure can program games..LOL
Old 11-14-06, 07:23 AM   #138
Knot3D

The AMD dual core optimizer patch works for this game.

Also, i get the impression Ati's do better than NV's in this game.

alas, i abandoned the PC version anyway and i got the XB360 version
which features better and more stable framerates and better ingame
assets like higher poly models and slightly better textures.

The latter issue in the PC version also causes the game to look way too bright
where you should be able to hide in 'darkness'.

I'm lovin' SC DA on Xbox360, but i'm hating it on PC.
Old 11-15-06, 04:49 AM   #139
pg_ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knot3D
The AMD dual core optimizer patch works for this game.
works?
what do you mean works?
Old 11-15-06, 04:57 AM   #140
rewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by stncttr908
There are gamepads for PC you know.
So you're saying your version of Double Agent supports gamepads? Mine doesn't. And I even updated to 1.01

I had to use Joy2Key to set up every key on my gamepad. It works, but my left analog stick (the one I use to move Sam around) is not nearly as precise as they were with Chaos Theory. It's pretty annoying..

I'm rather disappointed about the game's poor stability and performance as well. No wonder why Knot3D plays it on the xbox
Athlon64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.6GHz (4100+) · Win XP Pro x86, Vista Ultimate x64 · eVGA K8-NF41 nForce4 SLi · Corsair XMS 1.5GB PC3200 CAS2/1T · eVGA 2x 6600GT SLi · Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe · Western Digital Caviar SE ½TB RAID 0/1 · PowerLink LPK2-30 400W · LiteON LDW-411S OC to 811S 8x DVD±R/RW/ROM · MicroAdvantage 64MB QuickiDrive · Samsung SyncMaster 931B 19" LCD · Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB · Sony PSXtoUSB Analog Gamepads · Memorex MX2700 Multimedia Keyboard · Lexmark 3200 Color Jetprinter · nForce Network Controller 1Gb/s LAN (Cable ~3Mb/s down) · ΩPioneer Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound

Old 11-15-06, 05:10 AM   #141
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewt
So you're saying your version of Double Agent supports gamepads? Mine doesn't. And I even updated to 1.01

I had to use Joy2Key to set up every key on my gamepad. It works, but my left analog stick (the one I use to move Sam around) is not nearly as precise as they were with Chaos Theory. It's pretty annoying..

I'm rather disappointed about the game's poor stability and performance as well. No wonder why Knot3D plays it on the xbox
If you have a 360 controller for PC (i.e. wired 360 contoller) you can use it with DA on PC with no configuration needed. Just plug it in and all the buttons and sticks are mapped the same as the 360 version. More proof the PC version is a direct port of the 360 version I say.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-06, 05:31 AM   #142
rewt

Thanks.

So the game does have gamepad support. Maybe its just a matter of modding the ini to work with my PS2 controller instead.

I don't personally wish to go out and buy an xBox controller just for this game, if you know what I mean.
Old 11-15-06, 06:21 AM   #143
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Thanks.

So the game does have gamepad support. Maybe its just a matter of modding the ini to work with my PS2 controller instead.

I don't personally wish to go out and buy an xBox controller just for this game, if you know what I mean.
its pretty much a direct x360 port, just with slightly better textures. that explains the larger size of the game
Old 11-15-06, 06:29 AM   #144
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Thanks.

I dunno if .ini modding would work. I think the gamepad support is through Xinput. Right now only 360 controllers have a Xinput driver.

Still I guess it is more or less the same engine as Chaos Theory, and it supported gamepads.

On another note. I still can't get over the fact they restricted mouse button rebinding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft
its pretty much a direct x360 port, just with slightly better textures. that explains the larger size of the game
Yup. Any game where I see a "next-gen" option (in other words 360 port) sets off alarm bells. Wouldn't be so bad if the ports actually worked.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote