Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-22-06, 08:53 PM   #13
f1f0
Linux User

Default Re: Display blinks rapidly/random system freezes with AIGLX/1.0-9626

The 9742 beta driver seems to be much more stable with my GeForce Go 7300 card thankfully, I was able to let it run for a day without a problem. However, dare I tried to run some particularly heavy 3D applications (or apps that utilizes OpenGL for that matter, such as qemu). X server's life reduces much shorter, especially Beryl (no AIGLX/GLX, just plain nvidia driver)

With Beryl (latest svn snapshot 0.1.3), usually in minutes the display flickers at random interval, odd noises scatter over the screen then the server dies. I have tried my best to set any potentially dangerous/incompatible options (TFP, COW, etcetera). These lines appear almost immediately before these events:

Quote:
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 13, 0002 beef3901 00000039 00000320 80068006 00000002
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 30, L0 -> L0
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 12, COCOD 00000002 beef3901 00000039 00000220 00000001
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 30, L0 -> L0
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 13, 0002 beef3097 00004497 000003a4 00000000 00040000
I should note that by the time I wrote this, the same lines filled in my logs too, but everything seems to run normally until the 3D applications come in...

To sum up:

Kernel version: 2.6.17-10-generic #2 SMP i686 GNU/Linux
Series: Nvidia GeForce Go 7300
Driver: 1.0.9742

I have included a bug report. Thanks for any insights.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (116.2 KB, 120 views)
f1f0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 06:28 AM   #14
f1f0
Linux User

Smile Re: Display blinks rapidly/random system freezes with AIGLX/1.0-9626

This seems to be a good news: I'm stress-testing the system now (Beryl, Blender, glxgears and GoogleEarth running). It has been running for straight 30 minutes without any noticeable problem. That means:
  • No info/error logged (no annoying Xid events etcetera).
  • At the first few minutes, X temporarily paused for 30 seconds.

The steps I've tried/done:
  • On another thread, the nvidia team said that the Xid events are usually caused by IRQ conflict. I checked, the video card conflicts with my network card indeed.
  • Searching for IRQ conflict solution.
  • Putting pci=routeirq as a the kernel parameter as it 'shufftle' the IRQs, which could solve the problem.
  • Adding 'Option "NvAGP" "0"' to xorg.conf. As it has been confirmed at this very useful link.

In conclusion: Option "NvAGP" "0" may work for your situation (which not so incidentally looks identical to mine).

Good luck.

Btw, it would run a bit slower with this option, but that is the best we could do at the moment.
Old 11-23-06, 08:37 AM   #15
jdieter

First off, I'm not running into Xid errors until I enable AIGLX. I've successfully run nexuiz, tremulous, bzflag for up to a couple of hours with no problems at all.

As for the IRQ conflicts, AFAIK with APIC you are supposed to be able to share IRQs without problems. As with most laptops, the BIOS options in this system are so limited that I can't even attempt to move the video card onto its own IRQ.

My video card is PCI-E, so the NvAGP=0 statement won't have any effect.

I did try to use the pci=routeirq kernel option before my original post and still got Xid's and system crashes when I enabled AIGLX.

Thanks for the ideas, though,
Jonathan
jdieter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 10:27 AM   #16
f1f0
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdieter
First off, I'm not running into Xid errors until I enable AIGLX. I've successfully run nexuiz, tremulous, bzflag for up to a couple of hours with no problems at all.

As for the IRQ conflicts, AFAIK with APIC you are supposed to be able to share IRQs without problems. As with most laptops, the BIOS options in this system are so limited that I can't even attempt to move the video card onto its own IRQ.

My video card is PCI-E, so the NvAGP=0 statement won't have any effect.

I did try to use the pci=routeirq kernel option before my original post and still got Xid's and system crashes when I enabled AIGLX.

Thanks for the ideas, though,
Jonathan
Aye, I understand that this is a workaround but that is one of the very few workarounds we have under our belle.

NvAGP=0 increased my system stability for a fair amount of time though, until it crashed. A crucial info IMO is that I have no longer received some kinds of Xid events, here are the only events that recently produced:
Quote:
NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 9, Channel 00000020 Instance 00000000 Intr 00100000
That said, before this I had: NVRM: Xid (0001:00): 30, L0 -> L0, sort of.

I'd appreciate any explanation from nvidia team as of under what situation these errors are reported. Please don't forget: We are willing to help you to solve your driver problem (yes, if it was kernel problem, why wouldn't you just submit a patch ?) to benefit your company.

Indeed, if you don't even bother to fix this or have no interest in it right now. Tell us so. It would save a lot of time and headache.
Old 11-24-06, 01:25 AM   #17
f1f0
Linux User

jdieter,

I reverted back to my older installation of Ubuntu Edgy Server (which was mainly used for rescue mode, hence very clean though functionally sufficient), quite surprisingly, X has been running fine for a day now. No errors logged, Blender and GoogleEarth works flawlessly (and no tweaking - NvAGP - was needed).

The only thing that remains in the dark is Beryl since I'm using IceWM, no Desktop Manager installed. I'll try trashing my server once - downloading GNOME - to see if things will work differently.

This may not be anything new to you but a huge improvement to me and may also give me a clue as of why that happens. After all, the only reason I'd use Ubuntu desktop (GNOME) is for better usability. But I have no problem running the console.

There may be an obscure functionality/bug in GNOME/Ubuntu/Fedora Core that triggers the crash of nvidia driver. I'll let you know when further info is available.

Regards,
fnf
Old 11-24-06, 07:22 AM   #18
kingslayer

I'm also experiencing lock-ups when desktop effects are enabled. I'm on:

Fedora Core 6
Kernel 2.6.18-1.2849.fc6 SMP
kmod-nvidia-1.0.9629 (from Livna)
compiz-0.0.13-0.32.20060817git.fc6
beryl-0.1.2-6.fc6
Nvidia 7600GT
Gigabyte GA-P965-DQ6 (latest firmware)

I can pretty much make it hang reliably one minute after boot. With compiz or beryl, I just try to open 200+ folders and Xorg would either die or lock-up (with the mouse still moving).

I've tried kernel parameters (separately except for pci=nommconf and idle=poll):
acpi=off|ht|noirq|strict, acpi_irq_balance, acpi_irq_nobalance, apc=noidle, noapic, noirqdebug, nolapic, pci=bios|nobios|biosirq|usepirqmask|noacpi|routeir q|nommconf, pnpacpi=off, pnpbios=off, idle=poll

I've also tried "NvAGP=0|1|3", "RenderAccel off" in xorg.conf and tried to load nvidia.ko with nv_disable_pat=1. NvAGP=1 had a weird effect on gnome-panel though not sure that really was the cause.

I've also disabled USB just to get the card exclusively using the IRQ.

Nothing worked .

I'd like to help out but I'm not sure where to look (I'll do some research) so if you could point me to the right direction that'd be great.
kingslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-06, 08:05 AM   #19
f1f0
Linux User

Exclamation Re: Display blinks rapidly/random system freezes with AIGLX/1.0-9626

Ok, the problem turned out that the nvidia driver currently doesn't work happily with a SMP kernel, even though I have tried every possible proposed workarounds. After having rolled my own SMP-disabled kernel, everything worked fine.

Until the driver gets the bugs fixed, I'd accept the situation. Slower is still better than nothing.

I do thank the nvidia team for having made the best Linux video driver around though. But please inform us customers the slightest improvements that you are doing, it'd make we feel better.

Regards,
fnf
Old 11-26-06, 10:52 AM   #20
jdieter

Unhappy SMP disabled

I've tried the "nosmp" kernel option along with "noapic" to see if that fixed the AIGLX crashes and it still crashes with "Xid" errors and flickering.

f1f0, have you actually tried to use AIGLX/compiz with SMP disabled? It seems that the problems you've listed so far may be unrelated to the AIGLX one that kingslayer and I are having, though, seeing as your laptop seems that it may be very, very similar to mine, you might have our problem as well.

To summarize, everything works fine for me (and from what I can read, kingslayer as well) EXCEPT AIGLX/compiz. If you've managed to get 3D working reliably, how does AIGLX work?

netllama, are you still following this thread...or have you given up on us. Any thoughts on how we can help debug this would be greatly appreciated, and I'm happy to use my laptop as a guinea pig...though I suppose the source to the driver is off-limits.

Old 11-26-06, 12:53 PM   #21
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

You could try the irq=poll kernel option (when using an SMP kernel).

You could also try setting RenderAccel to false in xorg.conf.

However, if some of you can eliminate the problem with a non-SMP kernel, and others cannot, then there are likely two different problems here, which would have two different, unrelated solutions.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-06, 07:57 PM   #22
f1f0
Linux User

Default Re: SMP disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdieter
f1f0, have you actually tried to use AIGLX/compiz with SMP disabled? It seems that the problems you've listed so far may be unrelated to the AIGLX one that kingslayer and I are having, though, seeing as your laptop seems that it may be very, very similar to mine, you might have our problem as well.

To summarize, everything works fine for me (and from what I can read, kingslayer as well) EXCEPT AIGL
I realized my configuration is almost the same as yours, but the behavior is vastly different. While originally, you can at least run 3D applications (with AIGLX disabled), mine crashed straight out without running any 3D apps in minutes with the packaged 8776 driver, and would crash in an hour with 9742 beta. Hence, I'm sorry if my "solution" didn't work for you.

By 'working fine', I meant I was testing it with Beryl (which should produce the same behavior as Compiz), Blender and GoogleEarth running (these are the only 3D apps I have, although I believe if I only ran a 3D game, it would crash as ever in the past; As often times it would crash without running 3D, though lasted much longer).

Like many others, I found the "solution" by accident, it's not surprising to me no solution posted by other members worked with mine.

While I'm on it, let me mention this famous thread, a member kindly crafted a test application that would crash the X server in no time. I hope it will be useful to reproduce the crash if you happen to bypassed it.

I'll give out as much info as I can to help remedy the situation, please let me know. As a Linux user, I'm afraid to come back to Windows just to run 3D apps.

Thanks.

[Edit]: More precisely, the X server hang, not crashed (silly me). Judging the comments from the above mentioned thread, it seems X server is a part of this too. The last version reported working fine with nvidia driver is 6.8.0, I have found no time to download the whole source tree to try, unfortunately.

Last edited by f1f0; 11-26-06 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-27-06, 12:29 AM   #23
jdieter

netllama, I would agree that there's more than one problem listed here. It seems that there are two different problems mentioned in this thread:
  1. X freezes when running AIGLX
  2. X freezes all the time

My original post was reporting problem #1, and it seems that kingslayer and jadacyrus share this problem. I have tried using the "irq=poll" kernel parameter and "RenderAccel=false" in xorg.conf, and neither have fixed anything. This problem seems unrelated to SMP as X still freezes when running my kernel with "nosmp".

Problem #2 was reported by f1f0, and he/she seems to have fixed his/her problem by running a non-SMP kernel.

f1f0, thanks for the interesting links, though it doesn't seem that they're related to our AIGLX problem. I'm glad that you seem to have found a solution for your system.

Jonathan
Old 11-27-06, 01:39 AM   #24
f1f0
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1f0
Ok, the problem turned out that the nvidia driver currently doesn't work happily with a SMP kernel, even though I have tried every possible proposed workarounds. After having rolled my own SMP-disabled kernel, everything worked fine.
No! No! No!

It froze. Again. Nicely. As soon as I saved a new model. Regardless of how I've done. It crashed!.

In two days.

(sighhh), guess I'll give up for now.