Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-07-06, 11:13 PM   #13
synixus

Default Re: display corruption on GeForce 440 Go

BTW, is 8776 work for you? This is the only released that's work for me so far.
Sad to said that, 9625, 9626 & latest 9629 all giving the same issue. Either black screen or corrupted.

Sorry, can't help you much here either. Got to wait for the fix.
synixus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 12:50 PM   #14
achilid

Quote:
Originally Posted by synixus
BTW, is 8776 work for you? This is the only released that's work for me so far.
Sad to said that, 9625, 9626 & latest 9629 all giving the same issue. Either black screen or corrupted.

Sorry, can't help you much here either. Got to wait for the fix.
I tried bunch of versions include 8776, none of them works.

You already helped a lot
achilid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 02:59 PM   #15
chuchao2000

Hi !

I have also a c840 laptop and had same problem...
But i've found a solution and now it works (with 8776)

Just use my xorg.conf here attached, it will work !
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.txt (4.0 KB, 761 views)
chuchao2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 04:11 PM   #16
achilid

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuchao2000
Hi !

The problem is still there using your xorg.conf on 8776, ~sigh~

One thing I noticed is: if set "UseEDID False", I must specify "BusID PCI:1:0:0" too, otherwise screen is black except a tiny white line in the middle.
Old 11-08-06, 07:19 PM   #17
x_fight

loook at http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=77433
I hope it can help
x_fight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-06, 10:12 PM   #18
Hibbelharry

Hi Guys,
i've some experience with this bugs, too. In fact I'm owning a Latitude C840 which is the same machine like the Inspiron 8200, sharing the same mainboard, chassis, vga card, display and so on. The only differences between the models are the better support for Latitudes, the slightly changed plastic covers on the top (Palmrest and Multimedia Keys above Keyboard) and a hole at the back only present on the Latitude machines allowing it to plug in in the bigger docking stations from Dell. Dell has equipped the i8200/C840 with display panels from a variety of different manufacturers, i know at least 5 companys which delivered panels shipped as uxga ultra sharp model. One of the manufacturers, samsung shipped panels with a faulty edid rom, containing the technical specs of the display leading to the wrong detection of the maximal resolution. Other panels from sharp, au optronics, etc don't show this behaviour and are working correct, so not all i8k/c840 users see this bugs. You will also see that this bugs is also visible in any windows driver newer than 6x.xx, the same versions which were the last that worked flawlessly in linux. I don't know which kind of samity checks nvidia introduced since that time, but it's no real bug in the drivers, it's in the panel. Updates of the edid rom in the panel are not possible for mormal people, this leaves the following options to get things to work:

1:Create a Modeline for 1600x1200 and tell the drivers to ignore any information from the edid rom. This way you can get 1600x1200 to work right, but i failed to get any smaller resolution to show up correctly, whatever i tried. Maybe really experienced people can find a working solution for more working resolutions.

2: Swap the defective by design panel. This is what i finally did. I bought one on ebay and sold my old one there. just take care not to get another one manufactured by samsung. After selling my old one at ebay this upgrade was around 30 Euros for me. Panels are sold relatively often there as far as i noticed, so you might also be able to win a good deal.

The black screen when starting X11 seems to be a bug in the drivers. Just tell the drivers the output should be routed to dfp-0

Good luck and sorry fpr my bad german english )
Hibbelharry
Hibbelharry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 01:14 AM   #19
synixus

Quote:
Hi !

BTW, chuchao2000, is latest driver 9629 work with this xorg.conf?
Keep us update, thanks.
Old 11-09-06, 01:57 AM   #20
chuchao2000

with 9629 driver i have a black screen...
it's strange that my xorg.conf doesn't work... i had same screen corruption before and this xorg works now.
chuchao2000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-06, 02:27 AM   #21
synixus

Quote:
with 9629 driver i have a black screen...
it's strange that my xorg.conf doesn't work... i had same screen corruption before and this xorg works now.

Too bad chuchao2000. Can't help either.
Old 11-09-06, 12:58 PM   #22
achilid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hibbelharry
i've some experience with this bugs, too. In fact I'm owning a Latitude C840 which is the same machine like the Inspiron 8200, sharing the same mainboard, chassis, vga card, display and so on. The only differences between the models are the better support for Latitudes, the slightly changed plastic covers on the top (Palmrest and Multimedia Keys above Keyboard) and a hole at the back only present on the Latitude machines allowing it to plug in in the bigger docking stations from Dell. Dell has equipped the i8200/C840 with display panels from a variety of different manufacturers, i know at least 5 companys which delivered panels shipped as uxga ultra sharp model. One of the manufacturers, samsung shipped panels with a faulty edid rom, containing the technical specs of the display leading to the wrong detection of the maximal resolution. Other panels from sharp, au optronics, etc don't show this behaviour and are working correct, so not all i8k/c840 users see this bugs. You will also see that this bugs is also visible in any windows driver newer than 6x.xx, the same versions which were the last that worked flawlessly in linux. I don't know which kind of samity checks nvidia introduced since that time, but it's no real bug in the drivers, it's in the panel. Updates of the edid rom in the panel are not possible for mormal people, this leaves the following options to get things to work:
This make perfect sense, I must had a bad luck got the buggy samsung panel.

Quote:
1:Create a Modeline for 1600x1200 and tell the drivers to ignore any information from the edid rom. This way you can get 1600x1200 to work right, but i failed to get any smaller resolution to show up correctly, whatever i tried. Maybe really experienced people can find a working solution for more working resolutions.
Your comment gave me confidence to try it again. This time I merged monitor/modeline related part from chunchao2000's xorg.conf posted previously, with 8776, it finally works!

chunchao2000: I don't know why simply used your xorg.conf doesn't work, but your config saved me.

Quote:
The black screen when starting X11 seems to be a bug in the drivers. Just tell the drivers the output should be routed to dfp-0
I don't have good luck with 9629. With "UseDisplayDevice DFP-0", screen is messed in another way, although not totally black.

Although not perfect, but at least it works now with 8776, really appreciate all the helps!
Old 11-09-06, 10:10 PM   #23
filmil

Quote:
Originally Posted by achilid
I don't have good luck with 9629. With "UseDisplayDevice DFP-0", screen is messed in another way, although not totally black.

Although not perfect, but at least it works now with 8776, really appreciate all the helps!
For what it's worth, I solved the blank screen issue by adding Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0" into the /etc/X11/xorg.conf, the Display section, for Dell Inspiron 8200, GeForce4 440 Go, the 9626 nvidia drivers and Fedora Core 6.
filmil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 10:15 PM   #24
synixus

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmil
For what it's worth, I solved the blank screen issue by adding Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0" into the /etc/X11/xorg.conf, the Display section, for Dell Inspiron 8200, GeForce4 440 Go, the 9626 nvidia drivers and Fedora Core 6.
Excellent, Can I have your xorg.conf for reference please? Thanks.