Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-27-03, 11:56 AM   #1
HarleyMan

Question Help with Asus A7N266-VM & RH 8.0 drivers please?

I have scrutinized every ounce of information I can find on the correct drivers for my ASUS A7N266-VM board & RH Linux 8.0 installation, and at best, I am, at best, thouroughly confused.

I have installed RH Linux 8.0 successfully, in text mode and can boot Linux "single" - however, since I am not proficient yet with the Linux OS, I am unsure on "HOW" to install the drivers for the motherboard, and unsure of "WHICH" RPM's to download for proper installation of Video, Sound, and LAN functions for this board.

When I try to boot Linux normally and it completes the load screens, the monitor screen goes blank...which I have assumed is due to incorrect video drivers (???)

Thanks in advance for your help!
HarleyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-03, 11:29 PM   #2
Cheshiremackat
Crush K8

Default well...

I would search the forums for a thread... "updated nforce redhat 8.0 installation instructions"... or something similar... the thread was active about a week ago or so... it should detail essentially what to do in pretty good detail...

I have the same mobo, and I am using the 3123 drivers with rh 8.0 and no probs... so I would suggest reading the instructions from that thread first, and post any probs... it is pretty easy to get sound /lan and video (onboard vid that is) working.

if you need the drivers go to nvidia.com and the driver download page... get the nforce driver, the nvidia kernel and nvidia glx drivers... you will need 3 files... get them burnt to cd, or zip disk (wont fit on a floppy).

You can either use the latest 4193 drivers (prebuilt for redhat 8.0) or compile the 3123 drivers from source (best option as the 4193 drivers have a 2d problem)...

best of luck... read the thread and you should be good to go...it is VERY detailed.

_CMK
Cheshiremackat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-03, 08:58 AM   #3
HarleyMan

Default thanks

thanks _CMK!

Copy that on the three files needed!
I had originally d/l the 3123 drivers, but after reading various threads in the forum, I got confused on which drivers to use.

I also found the AMD64 (4180) drivers available, but no mention of anyone having used them, while another post had stated that someone else had successfully installed the 4193 drivers.

Not understanding the whole IA32/IA64/AMD64 various drivers, well....maybe you wouldn't mind a brief explanation on those?

(Thanks for the info on the (4193) 2D problem too!)

And seeing your success story on the 3123's...I'll not try to fix what isn't broken!

Thanks again!
Old 02-28-03, 01:06 PM   #4
Cheshiremackat
Crush K8

Default IA-64 AMD-64,etc

you need the IA-32 drivers, they are for any 32bit processor in the x86 family (you know Pentium and Athalon chips) since you have a nforce motherboad, and thus an AMD processor (Athalon XP) you need the IA-32 drivers.

IA-64 and AMD-64 are drivers for different types of processors. IA-64 is for the Intel Itanium series of processors, mainly used in servers and high end workstations (you do not have one of these, trust me).

AMD-64 drivers are for the next generation AMD processor, the hammer series. These processors should be out this summer sometime. They will be very powerful compared to todays procesors. You do not have one of these, although it would be nice .

D/L the 3123 drivers (.src.rpm) and install as per my instructions in the other thread... all should go as planned... just don't forget the nforce driver (for lan/sound, it has a different ver # than 3123, 2920 I think)...

best of luck

_CMK
Cheshiremackat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-03, 01:17 PM   #5
HarleyMan

thanks so much for your time and providing the info