Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-27-03, 09:02 AM   #73
kyleb

there are more benefits than just the number of instructions, but none that can be done without visual diffferences; which would destroy the whole point of 3dmark!
kyleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-03, 09:37 AM   #74
Chalnoth

I think the primary benefits would be seen by moving to VS 2.0 extended (while keeping the visuals the same), for 3DMark03. That is, it has been shown that per-vertex branching can help with skinning.

As for visual differences, 3DMark01 had an "advanced pixel shader test," didn't it?
Old 02-27-03, 05:38 PM   #75
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Chalnoth
I think the primary benefits would be seen by moving to VS 2.0 extended (while keeping the visuals the same), for 3DMark03. That is, it has been shown that per-vertex branching can help with skinning.

As for visual differences, 3DMark01 had an "advanced pixel shader test," didn't it?
i guess in that case you'll have to wait for 3dmark03SE
Old 02-27-03, 06:04 PM   #76
Hellbinder

Quote:

It makes NO SENSE to move or support PS 2.0 *extended*. Becuase its not any kind of an industry standard. Its just some extra junk Nvidia tossed on their card for marketing purposes.

PS 2.0 *extended* is not a recognized and accepted DX9 Standard. Its a hybrid bastard child of Nvidias own creation. You cannot make comparrisons to PS 1.4 with this, because PS 1.4 *IS* a recocnized Standard and *included* within the DX8.1 and DX9 spec.

What there is iincluded is PS 2.0 and PS 3.0

You want 3dmark03 to add support for more DX9 shader features? Then it needs to be PS 3.0 not some half backed shader support that *ONE* IHV dreamed up trying to do their own thing.

I am all for adding more PS DX9 features to 3dmark03. But lets make them Conform to Microsoft and the rest of the industries *RECOGNIZED* Standards. Like more diverse PS 2.0 tests, or even better PS 3.0 tests. After all the R400 is a PS 3.0 card. The Nv35 might be as well.

It is pretty obvious that the Nv30 is only going to be released in limited quantities before they move to the Nv35. Why Screw up an industry standard benchmark for the sake of one Ill Concieved, poorly executed, limited release product??
1Gig DDR-400
60Gig 7200RPM HD
Radeon 9600M Turbo 128 (400/250)
Catalyst 4.2
Latest good read. [url]http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=http://www.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NTc4LDE=[/url]
Hellbinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-03, 08:34 PM   #77
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
It makes NO SENSE to move or support PS 2.0 *extended*. Becuase its not any kind of an industry standard. Its just some extra junk Nvidia tossed on their card for marketing purposes.

PS 2.0 *extended* is not a recognized and accepted DX9 Standard. Its a hybrid bastard child of Nvidias own creation. You cannot make comparrisons to PS 1.4 with this, because PS 1.4 *IS* a recocnized Standard and *included* within the DX8.1 and DX9 spec.

What there is iincluded is PS 2.0 and PS 3.0

You want 3dmark03 to add support for more DX9 shader features? Then it needs to be PS 3.0 not some half backed shader support that *ONE* IHV dreamed up trying to do their own thing.

I am all for adding more PS DX9 features to 3dmark03. But lets make them Conform to Microsoft and the rest of the industries *RECOGNIZED* Standards. Like more diverse PS 2.0 tests, or even better PS 3.0 tests. After all the R400 is a PS 3.0 card. The Nv35 might be as well.

It is pretty obvious that the Nv30 is only going to be released in limited quantities before they move to the Nv35. Why Screw up an industry standard benchmark for the sake of one Ill Concieved, poorly executed, limited release product??
Any chance of you backing up everything you have said?
Old 02-28-03, 12:16 AM   #78
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by Hellbinder
BS. Look at the specs. "PS 2.0 extended" also supports other functionality that nVidia does not support.

And how in the world can you make the distinction that PS 1.4 is a standard while PS 2.0 extended is not? They're both posted quite clearly on the MSDN website.

Quote:
Again, the parallels to PS 1.4 are just too obvious here.
Old 02-28-03, 11:04 AM   #79
tamattack

Quote:
Originally posted by Chalnoth
Again, the parallels to PS 1.4 are just too obvious here.
So why do you sound like you support one (PS2.0 Extended) but not the other (PS1.4)?
tamattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-03, 11:34 AM   #80
kyleb

espesaly sence 1.4 was adopted by microsoft well after the release of dx8 while 2.0+ poped up right along side dx9 which is the obvious reason not backed by microsoft yet. it seems to me that microsoft is being very reasonable in this situation, however i can't see how you could claim the same Chalnoth.

Old 02-28-03, 11:37 AM   #81
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by kyleb
espesaly sence 1.4 was adopted by microsoft well after the release of dx8 while 2.0+ poped up right along side dx9 which is the obvious reason not backed by microsoft yet. it seems to me that microsoft is being very reasonable in this situation, however i can't see how you could claim the same Chalnoth.
damn now I need to do more reading

I was just about caught up on pixel shaders when you lot went off on this stuff..

/me heads back to the library to bury his sorrows in old fashioned/dust covered books...
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-03, 11:55 AM   #82
kyleb

and man i need to start working harder to fight my dyslectia, i swear i proof-read that but now that i read it again it looks really bad.

anyway, i am glad you at least could read my comments well enough to find them of interest Sazar.
Old 02-28-03, 12:13 PM   #83
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by tamattack
So why do you sound like you support one (PS2.0 Extended) but not the other (PS1.4)?
It's more that I don't support the fact that 3DMark03 uses PS 1.4 more often than any other shader on DX9 hardware.
Old 02-28-03, 12:15 PM   #84
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by kyleb

PS 2.0 extended is included in DirectX 9. How in the world can it possibly not be "backed by Microsoft"?