Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-26-03, 01:33 AM   #1
Bino

Send a message via ICQ to Bino Send a message via AIM to Bino
Default Mandrake 9.1b HELP!

I have used SuSE for a year or so now so I am used to using SAX2 and the command lines to configure my video card for open GL graphics, I was using the rpms before Nvidia updated their site to these new modules they have,

so for a while I have just ignored them becuase I already had the rpms for SuSE 7.3 and 8.0 but now I have moved to Mandrake 9.1b

and now

I have no clue what I am doing anymore, these new modules are locking up my system, I can't boot X.

I have read alot in here about the new modules, but I am curious as to if the info/modules will work for Mandrake 9.1b since they are all designed for Mandrake 9.0

It is i586 arch same as the 9.0 I have...but keeps messing up the x server and crashing it..

And, is Mandrake going to power open GL as well as SuSE does? I got EXCELLENT FPS!! and was running faster then windows

I just need help and some of these questions answered if you don't mind?

(Just a side note to everyone)
Mandrake 9.1b aswome, comes with KDE 3.1 already installed, has samba already setup and will auto detect any windows clients on your system on startup, and actually works with ease, and sane is much better now. I didn't have to configure anything for samba/sane just installed and started using them its excellent, that is why I want to switch from SuSE but I dont' want to lose my gaming
Bino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-03, 08:03 AM   #2
bwkaz

Default Re: Mandrake 9.1b HELP!

Quote:
Originally posted by Bino
I have read alot in here about the new modules, but I am curious as to if the info/modules will work for Mandrake 9.1b since they are all designed for Mandrake 9.0
NO, they will NOT work with anything other than Mandrake 9.

The problem is that Mandrake 9.1 beta uses a different kernel. The precompiled RPMs were not built against that kernel. You need to find the kernel source (which, BTW, Mandrake apparently didn't put on the 9.1 Beta CDs, at least according to a few other people), install it, and compile the drivers yourself. Although NVchooser would have told you that...
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-03, 09:54 AM   #3
Kenneth

Default 9.1rc1 does not compile the NForce drivers

Well, I managed to get my GForce 2 acceleration running in Mandrake 9.1rc1 using this hint:
http://www.pclinuxonline.com/modules...rder=0&thold=0
, but when I try to rebuild the rpm needed in order to get my Network adapter working, the rebuild still fails. I have a NForce motherboard (MSI K7N420Pro)
These are the error messages, any ideas?:
[root@localhost nvidia]# export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1
[root@localhost nvidia]# rpm --rebuild NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.src.rpm
Installing NVIDIA_nforce-1.0-0248.src.rpm
Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.20089
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/RPM/BUILD
+ echo '---- Copying Sources ----'
---- Copying Sources ----
+ cd /usr/src/RPM/BUILD
+ rm -rf nforce
+ /bin/gzip -dc /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES/nvnet.tgz
+ tar -xvvf -
drwxr-xr-x buildmeister/adm 0 2002-11-26 15:07:59 nforce/
drwxr-xr-x buildmeister/adm 0 2002-11-26 15:08:37 nforce/nvnet/
-r--r--r-- buildmeister/adm 14079 2002-11-26 15:08:37 nforce/nvnet/adapter.h
-r--r--r-- buildmeister/adm 794 2002-11-26 15:08:37 nforce/nvnet/basetype.h
-r--r--r-- buildmeister/adm 6416 2002-11-26 15:08:37 nforce/nvnet/nvnet.h
-r--r--r-- buildmeister/adm 3864 2002-11-26 15:08:37 nforce/nvnet/os.h
-r--r--r-- buildmeister/adm 4749 2002-11-26 15:08:37 nforce/nvnet/phy.h
-r--r--r-- buildmeister/adm 34214 2002-11-26 15:08:37 nforce/nvnet/nvnet.c
-rw-r--r-- buildmeister/adm 21768 2002-11-26 15:08:37 nforce/nvnet/nvnetlib.o
-r--r--r-- buildmeister/adm 2661 2002-11-26 15:08:37 nforce/nvnet/Makefile
+ STATUS=0
+ '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
+ cd nforce
+ cd /usr/src/RPM/BUILD
+ /bin/gzip -dc /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES/nvaudio.tgz
+ tar -xvvf -
drwxr-xr-x buildmeister/adm 0 2002-11-26 15:08:37 nforce/
drwxr-xr-x buildmeister/adm 0 2002-11-26 15:08:37 nforce/nvaudio/
-r--r--r-- buildmeister/adm 2599 2002-11-26 15:08:37 nforce/nvaudio/Makefile
-r--r--r-- buildmeister/adm 1088 2002-11-26 15:08:37 nforce/nvaudio/i810_audio-nforce23.patch
+ STATUS=0
+ '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
+ cd nforce
+ cd /usr/src/RPM/BUILD
+ /bin/gzip -dc /usr/src/RPM/SOURCES/nvmaster.tgz
+ tar -xvvf -
drwxr-xr-x buildmeister/adm 0 2002-11-26 15:08:37 nforce/
-r--r--r-- buildmeister/adm 1084 2002-11-26 15:08:36 nforce/Makefile
-r--r--r-- buildmeister/adm 12052 2002-11-26 15:08:36 nforce/README
-r--r--r-- buildmeister/adm 5404 2002-11-26 15:08:36 nforce/NVLicense.txt
-r--r--r-- buildmeister/adm 18007 2002-11-26 15:08:36 nforce/GNULicense.txt
-rw-r--r-- buildmeister/adm 100614 2002-11-26 15:08:37 nforce/ReleaseNotes.pdf
+ STATUS=0
+ '[' 0 -ne 0 ']'
+ cd nforce
+ exit 0
Executing(%build): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.20089
+ umask 022
+ cd /usr/src/RPM/BUILD
+ cd nforce
+ echo '---- Building Drivers ----'
---- Building Drivers ----
+ make
make -C nvnet
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/nforce/nvnet'
cc -c -DLINUX -DMODULE -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -D__KERNEL__ -O -Wstrict-prototypes -DCONFIG_PM -fno-strict-aliasing -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -falign-functions=4 -DMODULE -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.21pre4/include nvnet.c
In file included from /usr/include/linux/prefetch.h:13,
from /usr/include/linux/list.h:6,
from /usr/include/linux/module.h:11,
from nvnet.h:20,
from nvnet.c:21:
/usr/include/asm/processor.h:55: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)
/usr/include/asm/processor.h:55: requested alignment is not a constant
In file included from /usr/include/linux/module.h:20,
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1:2: #error "================================================= ======"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2:2: #error "You should not include /usr/include/{linux,asm}/ header"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:3:2: #error "files directly for the compilation of kernel modules."
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:4:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:5:2: #error "glibc now uses kernel header files from a well-defined"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:6:2: #error "working kernel version (as recommended by Linus Torvalds)"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:7:2: #error "These files are glibc internal and may not match the"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:8:2: #error "currently running kernel. They should only be"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:9:2: #error "included via other system header files - user space"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:10:2: #error "programs should not directly include or"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:11:2: #error " as well."
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:12:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:13:2: #error "To build kernel modules please do the following:"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:14:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:15:2: #error " o Have the kernel sources installed"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:16:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:17:2: #error " o Make sure that the symbolic link"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:18:2: #error " /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build exists and points to"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:19:2: #error " the matching kernel source directory"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:20:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:21:2: #error " o Now copy /boot/vmlinuz.version.h to"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:22:2: #error " /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/linux/version.h"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:23:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:24:2: #error " o When compiling, make sure to use the following"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:25:2: #error " compiler option to use the correct include files:"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:26:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:27:2: #error " -I/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:28:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:29:2: #error " instead of"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:30:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:31:2: #error " -I/usr/include/linux"
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:32:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:33:2: #error " Please adjust the Makefile accordingly."
/usr/include/linux/modversions.h:34:2: #error "================================================= ======"
In file included from /usr/include/linux/module.h:297,
/usr/include/linux/version.h:2:2: #error "================================================= ======"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:3:2: #error "You should not include /usr/include/{linux,asm}/ header"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:4:2: #error "files directly for the compilation of kernel modules."
/usr/include/linux/version.h:5:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:6:2: #error "glibc now uses kernel header files from a well-defined"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:7:2: #error "working kernel version (as recommended by Linus Torvalds)"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:8:2: #error "These files are glibc internal and may not match the"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:9:2: #error "currently running kernel. They should only be"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:10:2: #error "included via other system header files - user space"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:11:2: #error "programs should not directly include or"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:12:2: #error " as well."
/usr/include/linux/version.h:13:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:14:2: #error "To build kernel modules please do the following:"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:15:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:16:2: #error " o Have the kernel sources installed"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:17:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:18:2: #error " o Make sure that the symbolic link"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:19:2: #error " /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build exists and points to"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:20:2: #error " the matching kernel source directory"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:21:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:22:2: #error " o Now copy /boot/vmlinuz.version.h to"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:23:2: #error " /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/linux/version.h"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:24:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:25:2: #error " o When compiling, make sure to use the following"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:26:2: #error " compiler option to use the correct include files:"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:27:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:28:2: #error " -I/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:29:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:30:2: #error " instead of"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:31:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:32:2: #error " -I/usr/include/linux"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:33:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:34:2: #error " Please adjust the Makefile accordingly."
/usr/include/linux/version.h:35:2: #error "================================================= ======"
In file included from nvnet.h:20,
/usr/include/linux/module.h:299: parse error before "UTS_RELEASE"
/usr/include/linux/module.h: In function `print_symbol':
/usr/include/linux/module.h:433: `ESRCH' undeclared (first use in this function)
/usr/include/linux/module.h:433: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
/usr/include/linux/module.h:433: for each function it appears in.)
In file included from /usr/include/asm/hardirq.h:6,
from /usr/include/linux/interrupt.h:46,
from nvnet.h:30,
/usr/include/linux/irq.h: At top level:
/usr/include/linux/irq.h:65: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)
/usr/include/linux/irq.h:65: requested alignment is not a constant
In file included from /usr/include/linux/interrupt.h:46,
from nvnet.h:30,
/usr/include/asm/hardirq.h:16: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)
/usr/include/asm/hardirq.h:16: requested alignment is not a constant
In file included from nvnet.h:30,
/usr/include/linux/interrupt.h:129: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)
/usr/include/linux/interrupt.h:129: requested alignment is not a constant
In file included from nvnet.h:31,
/usr/include/linux/version.h:2:2: #error "================================================= ======"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:3:2: #error "You should not include /usr/include/{linux,asm}/ header"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:4:2: #error "files directly for the compilation of kernel modules."
/usr/include/linux/version.h:5:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:6:2: #error "glibc now uses kernel header files from a well-defined"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:7:2: #error "working kernel version (as recommended by Linus Torvalds)"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:8:2: #error "These files are glibc internal and may not match the"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:9:2: #error "currently running kernel. They should only be"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:10:2: #error "included via other system header files - user space"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:11:2: #error "programs should not directly include or"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:12:2: #error " as well."
/usr/include/linux/version.h:13:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:14:2: #error "To build kernel modules please do the following:"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:15:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:16:2: #error " o Have the kernel sources installed"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:17:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:18:2: #error " o Make sure that the symbolic link"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:19:2: #error " /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build exists and points to"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:20:2: #error " the matching kernel source directory"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:21:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:22:2: #error " o Now copy /boot/vmlinuz.version.h to"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:23:2: #error " /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include/linux/version.h"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:24:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:25:2: #error " o When compiling, make sure to use the following"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:26:2: #error " compiler option to use the correct include files:"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:27:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:28:2: #error " -I/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:29:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:30:2: #error " instead of"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:31:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:32:2: #error " -I/usr/include/linux"
/usr/include/linux/version.h:33:2: #error ""
/usr/include/linux/version.h:34:2: #error " Please adjust the Makefile accordingly."
/usr/include/linux/version.h:35:2: #error "================================================= ======"
In file included from nvnet.h:35,
/usr/include/linux/netdevice.h:165: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)
/usr/include/linux/netdevice.h:165: requested alignment is not a constant
In file included from nvnet.h:35,
/usr/include/linux/netdevice.h:507: `CONFIG_X86_L1_CACHE_SHIFT' undeclared here (not in a function)
/usr/include/linux/netdevice.h:507: requested alignment is not a constant
nvnet.c:40:41: missing binary operator before '('
nvnet.c:1208:41: missing binary operator before '('
make[1]: *** [nvnet.o] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/RPM/BUILD/nforce/nvnet'
make: *** [nvnet_make] Error 2
error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.20089 (%build)
RPM build errors:
Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.20089 (%build)
[root@localhost nvidia]#
Kenneth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-03, 11:10 AM   #4
bwkaz

Default Re: 9.1rc1 does not compile the NForce drivers

Quote:
Originally posted by Kenneth
[root@localhost nvidia]# export IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1
WHY, oh WHY, do people INSIST on setting this in their HOWTOs?

It causes infinitely many more problems than it ever solves!

Anyway, that big long list of error messages means you haven't installed kernel-source.

Install it.
Old 02-26-03, 01:14 PM   #5
Kenneth

Default I have the source installed

As I was able to rebuild the Nvidia kernel and GLX rpms (after applying "IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH=1", not without it), my setup can't be all that wrong.

It's only the NForce RPM rebuild that fails.

/Kenneth

Last edited by Kenneth; 02-26-03 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-26-03, 03:30 PM   #6
bwkaz

And what did you get when you didn't have IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH set? Did you read the ramifications (in the README, one of the appendices) of setting it before you did it? The way that using it can (and very likely will) cause major problems inside the kernel once the kernel module loads?

The nforce driver apparently doesn't use the same build system as the nVidia one. Either that, or Mandrake's gcc is terminally braindead (either one is very possible), and it searches the system include directories first. What it should do is search the -I directories first (the one that was given to it was /usr/src/linux-<version>/include, you will notice), and then the system include directories if it can't find something.

SOOOO... are there files in /usr/include/linux-<version>/include/linux?

You notice the filenames that are giving errors -- /usr/include/linux/something? These are never supposed to be used in a module, only in user programs. They don't even have to correspond to your current kernel (actually, they almost NEVER should correspond to your current kernel, but rather the one that you compiled glibc against). Modules will not work when compiled against them -- and the big long list of errors is Mandrake's way of telling you that. You're going to have to do something so that the compiler looks in the right place for the include files. That can be either making sure they exist in the right place, or moving the other ones somewhere else, or something similar.
Old 02-26-03, 06:40 PM   #7
Bino

Default Re: Re: Mandrake 9.1b HELP!

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
NO, they will NOT work with anything other than Mandrake 9.

The problem is that Mandrake 9.1 beta uses a different kernel. The precompiled RPMs were not built against that kernel. You need to find the kernel source (which, BTW, Mandrake apparently didn't put on the 9.1 Beta CDs, at least according to a few other people), install it, and compile the drivers yourself. Although NVchooser would have told you that...

I ran NVchooser before and it told me to download these files: (THIS is what is cuasing me to mess up I think

NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4191.src.rpm
NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4191.i386.rpm

I tried these, from the IA32 (Which I am assuming is the correct area to download from) And this files are causing me to get the black screen, I edited the xfree86 config file as well and changed nv to nvidia still, no luck

When you say compile the kernel, do you mean the linux kernel or these modules for open gl? I think you meant the tar.bz downloads from this website correct?

(Sorry I am normally not this Linux dumb lol but I just don't wanna mess this up before I try it again Mandrake is nothing like SuSE)
Old 02-26-03, 07:32 PM   #8
bwkaz

I mean compile NVIDIA_kernel-<version>.tar.gz and NVIDIA_GLX-<version>.tar.gz.

There aren't any good catch-all methods for troubleshooting a "black screen on startup" error, though. How long did you let it sit? Some cards have been known to sit for up to 5 minutes before X really starts...

Or it could just be one of those random things that I don't understand and can't troubleshoot...

Old 02-26-03, 09:11 PM   #9
Bino

Quote:
I mean compile NVIDIA_kernel-<version>.tar.gz and NVIDIA_GLX-<version>.tar.gz.

There aren't any good catch-all methods for troubleshooting a "black screen on startup" error, though. How long did you let it sit? Some cards have been known to sit for up to 5 minutes before X really starts...

Or it could just be one of those random things that I don't understand and can't troubleshoot...

Hehe sorry for not being a little bit more specific with the error.

I actually to let it wait a little while (min or 2) and it gives the x-server crash error

I will try compiling the nvidia glx/kernel modules and see if that works rather then using rpms.

Thanks for the help
Old 03-06-03, 01:25 PM   #10
Kenneth

Quote:
And what did you get when you didn't have IGNORE_CC_MISMATCH set?
Well, being now on Mandrake 9.1 RC2 it seems like this flag isn't necessary in order to rebuild the Nvidia GLX and kernel rpms. Just installing the source did the trick.
Quote:

SOOOO... are there files in /usr/include/linux-<version>/include/linux?
I can't find such directory on my system. I only have /usr/include/linux

/Kenneth