Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-26-03, 01:53 PM   #1
silence

Default gozilla,spyware and freezing win98

i just had worst experience with gozilla,well with some stuff u get with it.

i installed it cause i like feats u can get to help u dl things......but as soon as i connected to the net ZoneAlarm started to show me that 3...not 1,but 3 programms are trying to connect also.....i closed my connection,look around and found them all in gozilla directory.....offcourse i wasn't informed during the install that i gonna get 3 programms that will try to connect to internet without me knowing.

i deleted them.....cleaned registry ( partially ) and continued to use my comp.......BUT >> as soon as i turned my comp off and tryed to start it later windows began to freeze while loading....it's win98 btw.....i used safe mode,looked and found nothing wrong......so i assumed it had to be something i installed or deleted recently >> gozilly offcourse.....i cleaned ragistry as much as i could,looked in .ini files ,whatever came to my mind i did......unistalled gozilla also.......problem remained.....

last thing was to re-install gozilla......so i did and guess what >> no more freezing.

i don't know howto get rid of that damn thing without formating my c drive so i'll prolly do it......after all there isn't any data on it,it's only big enough for win98 and few smaller programs,but it is 2-3 hours work........

i hate when there is stuff installed without asking and knowing......my comp is MY PROPERTY and stunts like this really p*** me off

i had to post this story cause ppl should be aware about stuff like this......
silence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-03, 05:45 PM   #2
silence

ohhh.....comp freezes after u delete file >> goiehlp.dll
u can delete those damn programs,but this needs more work.
Old 02-28-03, 09:06 AM   #3
Smokey
Team Rainbow

Isnt there something you can untick on the install about intaslling other programs like gator? Also there is always getright and other dl managers if getright is causing problems
| Intel Q9550 @ 4GHz | Gigabyte EP45 UD3R |4x 1024MB OCZ Reaper PC9200 DDR2 | Seagate 320GB/ Maxtor 320GB/ Maxtor 500GB HDD|Sapphire HD5850 | Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Pro | Harmon Kardon AVR135 reciever | Jamo S718 speakers | 42" Plasma 720p (lounge room)-Samsung P2450H (bedroom)
Smokey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-03, 03:37 PM   #4
silence

u know......it isn't spyware that got me p*****, i know they are price for "free" software and i have firewall that doesn't allow them to do their dirty tricks (i hope it does that ), but that damn file which caused freezing of win on startup.......

i mean i uninstall software and damn thing leave files on my comp (which is nothing new), but i afteri delete those files,my comp stop to work properly >> that part i don't like.

i googled that file and saw that it is supposed to stay on your comp AFTER you uninstall gozilla....

i don't know if other ppl had same trouble,or it is specific to my case,but i just wanted for ppl to see what happened to me.
Old 03-26-03, 11:08 AM   #5
Nemesis
Credo

Quote:
Originally posted by Smokey
Isnt there something you can untick on the install about intaslling other programs like gator? Also there is always getright and other dl managers if getright is causing problems
Yes - if you do a Custom install of Gozilla, you can choose to leave the annoying bits behind.

Asus P4C800-E Deluxe Rev 2.0 | 3.4GHz P4C | 2 x 512MB XMS3500 | SLK-900U with 92mm Fan | Modded GlobalWin 802 (2 x 80mm Blowholes) | 480W Tagan TG480-U01 PSU | MSI GF4 Ti 4200 64Mb | Leadtek TV2000XP Dlx TV Tuner | SBLive! 5.1 | WD800JB | 40Gb IBM 60GXP | NEC ND1300A DVD RW | Lite-On LTR-52246S | 17" Sony CPD-G220 | Netgear DG834 ADSL Router / Firewall | WinXP Pro SP1 | Eclipse 512k ADSL Internet
Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote