Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-27-06, 01:50 PM   #1
Alejandro Nova

Default Composited XVideo flicker

Greetings.

I have a little problem since nVidia began accelerating XVideo with the XComposite extension (8774 and forward, same issue in 9625 beta).

When I want to watch a video in full screen, my screen becomes divided in two horizontally, at a fixed place. The division resembles a Z all across my screen and it reduces if I disable VSync for XVideo, but it does not disappear.

The funny things about it are:
1. When I make my video window transparent the division changes its place, but it does not disappear and remains at its new place. Making the video window opaque makes the division return to its original place.
2. When reduced, this issue isn't evident with low-motion videos. You require high motion videos to see it in all its glory. With VSync enabled, you can see the division in all videos.
3. Before 8774, XV worked perfectly, even with my extremely-high-motion videos (X Japan... those videos flash the screen 15 times a second and, if you have perfect sync, you can see screen flashing and you get into the movie), but with XComposite without acceleration.

So.
1. Is there any way to disable XV acceleration with Composite? I prefer to have perfect sync instead of watch that division.
2. Can you fix the issue (say, syncing better XV to avoid entirely flickering) in 9625 RELEASE?

Specs:
Card: GeForce FX 5500.
Monitor: AOpen LCD, 1280x1024
Refresh rate: 72 Hz

Thanks in advance.

Alejandro Nova™.

Last edited by Alejandro Nova; 09-29-06 at 10:23 AM.
Alejandro Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 01:54 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Composited XVideo flicker

Please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log along with a detailed description of how to reproduce this problem.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 02:18 PM   #3
Alejandro Nova

Thanks. I checked disabling kompmgr and the problem disappeared. I have to check now if it's a problem with kompmgr or with nVidia driver, because I do not want to waste developer's time filing a nonsense bug.

Alejandro Nova™.
Alejandro Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 02:27 PM   #4
fgrasset

I have exatly the same problem well described by alejandro.
My system is a gentoo amd64, xorg 7.1.1, kde 3.5.4.
The problem appear even in non composited desktop but is linked to the rate of the movie: when the action slow down, non distorsion appear, but when screen flash or move fast the distorsion came back, alway at the same place.
I was thinking the problem was related to the diffrence between the movie display rate and my LCD display rate (I have 2 LCD both @60Hz), so that the problem came from the player.
Please tell me if the problem belong to the driver or not.

Xorg.0.log
fgrasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 02:29 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log along with a detailed description of how to reproduce this problem, including the content required to reproduce it.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 09-27-06, 04:07 PM   #6
piotrq__

Other users have already mentioned this bug in different threads, I'm experiencing this with Kompmgr and Compiz/Beryl as well.
All I have to do to expose it is to play any video using for example MPlayer (Xine is affected too) and XV video output.

Bug report included.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.zip (23.9 KB, 151 views)
piotrq__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 04:43 PM   #7
fgrasset

Hi,
here is my nvidia-bug-report.log.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz

To illustrate the flicker, just watch a Jackie Chan's movie ;-). The distortion is more located with xvideo blitter adaptor sync on.
Old 09-27-06, 06:28 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm afraid that I don't have any Jackie Chan movies sitting around here. I'm trying to reproduce this with assorted movies that I do have, and I'm not seeing any flickering. Can someone point me to some online content which reliably triggers the flickering?

Thanks,
Lonni

Old 09-27-06, 07:58 PM   #9
fgrasset

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I'm afraid that I don't have any Jackie Chan movies sitting around here. I'm trying to reproduce this with assorted movies that I do have, and I'm not seeing any flickering. Can someone point me to some online content which reliably triggers the flickering?

Thanks,
Lonni
Well, it's work with bruce lee movie too ;-)
All the funny short videos I have and I can sent you don't show the problem, may be it's related to the video bitrate (~1000kbps on mpeg-4 encoded movie).
One more thing, the distortion line is more visible on a bright background.
But then, the flicker is so oblivious (on speedy scenes) here, that if you don't see it that means you don't have it!!

Hope that help, and sorry to not be able to send you any jackie chan movie :-)
Old 09-27-06, 08:21 PM   #10
piotrq__

Here's a sample of a movie where it's pretty much visible.

zzz.piotrkow.net.pl/~scrat/mvice/mvice.avi (replace zzz with you know what :-) )

I can see that at 00:10:00 (the UNIVERSAL's logo showing up),
00:24:00 (that dancing chick and flashing lights - very visible there... Ummm... tearing of course ;-) ) and 00:38:00 (Trudy and Crockett).

Greets.

O! I thought I'd mention this by the way. There's another XV related bug, it's that I can't control brightness/gamma using mplayer anymore. MPlayer returns: Video attribute "brightness" is not supported by this vo & vd.

I'm using the latest svn snapshot of mplayer.
piotrq__ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-06, 08:49 PM   #11
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrq__
O! I thought I'd mention this by the way. There's another XV related bug, it's that I can't control brightness/gamma using mplayer anymore. MPlayer returns: Video attribute "brightness" is not supported by this vo & vd.

The XV video overlay adaptor is disabled on X.org 7.1 when Composite is enabled because it's incompatible with Composite. The blitter and texture adaptors don't have brightness or gamma controls. If you want to use the video overlay adaptor, you'll have to disable Composite.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-06, 02:48 AM   #12
energyman76b

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrq__
Here's a sample of a movie where it's pretty much visible.

zzz.piotrkow.net.pl/~scrat/mvice/mvice.avi (replace zzz with you know what :-) )

I can see that at 00:10:00 (the UNIVERSAL's logo showing up),
00:24:00 (that dancing chick and flashing lights - very visible there... Ummm... tearing of course ;-) ) and 00:38:00 (Trudy and Crockett).

hmm, I don't see any distortions or 'lines'. the video looks fine. I am using xine and it does not matter, if I fullscreen with 'f' or through maximising the window, the video looks fine. No problems, no 'divisions'.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote