Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 11-13-06, 01:02 AM   #1
sphincter

Default new board, new driver, same old problems

I swapped out my ABIT for an Asus A8N-SLI deluxe. I'm still having all the same problems I had before; lockups on exiting opengl apps/games, strange X lockups at start, parent device flipping to the second card, all of it. And like the Abit, it all works fine under windows. Can anyone just please tell me what board will actually work under linux running SLI before I waste another 150 bucks on yet another broken POS board?

bug reports attached if it matters.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.logs.zip (62.3 KB, 124 views)
Old 11-13-06, 09:35 AM   #2
sphincter

Default Re: new board, new driver, same old problems

The parent device flipping to the secondary card seems much worse now that previous, but I haven't gotten any lost irq messages. Of course, the parent device keeps flipping and so the system hard locks when it does... so that may or may not explain why i haven't seen lost irq messages in dmesg.
Old 11-13-06, 11:20 PM   #3
sphincter

Is no one running SLI under linux on any board?
Old 11-15-06, 08:14 AM   #4
sphincter

<crickets>
Old 11-15-06, 10:08 AM   #5
prefect42

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphincter
<crickets>
I don't run SLI on a variety of motherboards under linux, despite having bought pairs of Quadro 4500s as it's just too unstable. What to do eh?
Old 11-15-06, 01:07 PM   #6
sphincter

Well, I keep hoping Lonni, or anyone from nvidia, will step in and deign to tell us what they actually tested on. That way, at least I'll know what I can buy and they'll be able to try replicating any issues I run into. That is, assuming they tested it. I have to admit, I'm starting to wonder.
Old 11-15-06, 01:10 PM   #7
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm afraid that I can't recommend specific vendors, other than to state that we perform a significant amount of testing on workstations from vendors who sell/support Linux.
Old 11-15-06, 01:28 PM   #8
jeff9n

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I'm afraid that I can't recommend specific vendors, other than to state that we perform a significant amount of testing on workstations from vendors who sell/support Linux.
Maybe you can help sphincter by telling him which SLI configuration (motherboard+video card model) that Nvidia has tested successfully in your lab? At least that will give him a reference of a known working SLI configuration.

Old 11-15-06, 04:42 PM   #9
sphincter

Indeed, as gigabyte is the only system board vendor I'm aware of that supports linux. Telling me that you tested on a $5K HP workstation is useless to me, and the vast majority of linux home users. And that's where some serious testing needs to happen before nvidia can really claim to support SLI.
Old 11-15-06, 07:29 PM   #10
jeff9n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphincter
I swapped out my ABIT for an Asus A8N-SLI deluxe. I'm still having all the same problems I had before; lockups on exiting opengl apps/games, strange X lockups at start, parent device flipping to the second card, all of it. And like the Abit, it all works fine under windows. Can anyone just please tell me what board will actually work under linux running SLI before I waste another 150 bucks on yet another broken POS board?

bug reports attached if it matters.
I think you have established the fact that SLI support under Linux is still immature. You have already tested two different motherboards (Abit & Asus) with the same results under Linux while the identical configurations work fine under Windows. Therefore the root cause must be related to the software (graphic driver). If it is a hardware problem, then the problem should also occur under Windows.

At this point, I don't think replacing the motherboard will solve the problem. Others might tell you to update the motherboard to the latest BIOS. I doubt if it will help you in this case either. But it doesn't hurt to try if your board has on old BIOS.
Old 11-15-06, 08:38 PM   #11
sphincter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff9n
I think you have established the fact that SLI support under Linux is still immature. You have already tested two different motherboards (Abit & Asus) with the same results under Linux while the identical configurations work fine under Windows. Therefore the root cause must be related to the software (graphic driver). If it is a hardware problem, then the problem should also occur under Windows.

At this point, I don't think replacing the motherboard will solve the problem. Others might tell you to update the motherboard to the latest BIOS. I doubt if it will help you in this case either. But it doesn't hurt to try if your board has on old BIOS.
Jeff,

While I appreciate the comments, it was Lonni (netllama) that said that it was the SBIOS that determines the SLI parent device. If that's the case, then at least two of the most popular system boards have a problem that only reveals itself under linux. And when a vendor announces that something is now supported under a specific OS, I assume that it will at least mostly work, and that the sacrifice of a fetid calf is not needed. Although I do still occasionally need to sacrifice a goat to my SCSI chain, but there are perfectly valid technical reasons for doing so.
Old 11-16-06, 11:48 PM   #12
sphincter

I installed the 9742 driver and the problem where I get

Code:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): The NVIDIA graphics device PCI:1:0:0 bound to this SLI X
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     screen is not the SLI parent device.  This configuration
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     is not currently supported.  Please add 'BusID
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     "PCI:2:0:0"' to the SLI "Device" section in the X
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     configuration file.
is even worse now. I have to power cycle the system several times to get X to come up. Before, I never had to do it more than once.

And I'd like like to know exactly what was tested, even if that doesn't come with a recommendation, which isn't what I asked for anyway. I just want to know what configurations have been verified to actually work with SLI. I don't, after all, have an unlimited supply of money to keep trying different combinations until I stumble on one that works. And the response from nvidia as to what was tested doesn't exactly give me warm fuzzies that anyone at nvidia actually has a clue when it comes to SLI on linux.