Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 11-22-06, 12:07 PM   #25
jeff9n

Default Re: new board, new driver, same old problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphincter
So... you test. Thanks, but that doesn't help me. And I don't "feel" like you're ignoring me. You have been. If you hadn't, it wouldn't have taken so long to get this non-answer answer. I also do support, and we explicitly publish what has been tested in order to provide guidance to our customers. That's what customers want. And if you won't give the customers what they want, they'll find someone who will. That's basic market economics, and all your policies won't change that. Because, while I do have the money to go buy different hardware, and quite a bit of it, I'm not going to go buy board after board just because your company is discourteous enough to fee justified in leaving me in the dark. I'll just switch vendors.
I am glad that you have spoken your feeling about the situation publicly. The consumers need to be informed about the current situation with the Linux graphic driver support.

You are not alone here. I am sure a lot of users on this forum feel the same way.
Old 11-26-06, 07:07 PM   #26
sphincter

Actually, I would sort of doubt that. If it's actually working for someone, they probably aren't here posting. If it's not working, they probably called their vendor, only to get the "linux isn't supported" run-around and gave up. I don't think I'll be giving up on this any time soon. And the saddest thing is, all I really want is a straight answer. But none of the vendors involved in this, nvidia, Abit, ASUS, BFG, seem to be able to provide one.
Old 11-29-06, 10:45 AM   #27
jeff9n

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff9n
Lonni,

I don't understand why Nvidia cannot provide their customers with sample SLI system configuration that works well in your lab. If you are testing on a secret unannounced platform, then it is understandable that such information cannot be released. Otherwise, why are you afraid to provide the system information?

We are not asking for any trade secret here. If you say Abit board, are you afraid ASUS will be upset that their board is not mentioned? If you say ASUS video card, are you afraid that PNY will be upset that their board is not mentioned?
Does anybody find it curious why Nvidia can't provide their customers with such a simple information?
Old 11-29-06, 10:51 AM   #28
prefect42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff9n
Does anybody find it curious why Nvidia can't provide their customers with such a simple information?
I'm not surprised really. Yes it would be useful for us to have information on what boards nVidia have tested, and what problems they have found. It does however open nVidia up to a lot more grief not only from customers but from board manufacturers.

What would be better would be for board manufacturers to actually stick to BIOS specs (and for the specs to be unambiguous). The fact that so many boards seem to have problems suggests a problem with the specification and implementation of standards.
Old 11-30-06, 05:35 AM   #29
Lithorus

Rumor has it that SLI under Linux was pretty much developed for HP. So some of these workstations Lonni is talking about is probably from HP. Ofcourse Lonni cannot say something like that, since it would be the same thing as advertisement...

I believe HP uses the Tyan Thunder (not Tiger) K8WE in their wx9300 series..

Last edited by Lithorus; 11-30-06 at 06:55 AM.
Old 11-30-06, 08:08 AM   #30
russofris

Quote:
Originally Posted by sphincter
I installed the 9742 driver and the problem where I get
Code:
(EE) NVIDIA(0): The NVIDIA graphics device PCI:1:0:0 bound to this SLI X
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     screen is not the SLI parent device.  This configuration
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     is not currently supported.  Please add 'BusID
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     "PCI:2:0:0"' to the SLI "Device" section in the X
(EE) NVIDIA(0):     configuration file.
is even worse now. I have to power cycle the system several times to get X to come up. Before, I never had to do it more than once.
This is before or after you made the advised changes to the xorg.conf? Can't you trick it, boot with the monitor connected to one card, and switch the monitor cable over to the other before X starts?

Thanx Much,
Frank
Old 11-30-06, 12:22 PM   #31
jeff9n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithorus
Rumor has it that SLI under Linux was pretty much developed for HP. So some of these workstations Lonni is talking about is probably from HP. Ofcourse Lonni cannot say something like that, since it would be the same thing as advertisement...

I believe HP uses the Tyan Thunder (not Tiger) K8WE in their wx9300 series..
If that is true which I think your information is correct, this is a big warning for Linux users! If you plan to use SLI on non HP machines, you might be out of luck if your configuration does not work.
Old 11-30-06, 06:56 PM   #32
sphincter

Quote:
Originally Posted by russofris
This is before or after you made the advised changes to the xorg.conf? Can't you trick it, boot with the monitor connected to one card, and switch the monitor cable over to the other before X starts?

Thanx Much,
Frank
After. But for no apparent reason, the system isn't doing that as much now. But the lockups are worse.

I really hope AMD does something interesting with ATi and crossfire on linux. I'd been planning a major upgrade of my systems this spring, so switching everything over at that time would be easy.

Old 12-05-06, 08:30 AM   #33
sphincter

It seems I have been remiss in my duties. That is now corrected.
Old 12-07-06, 08:42 AM   #34
sphincter

dum-deedee-dee-dum-deedoo
Old 12-11-06, 08:14 AM   #35
sphincter

It's fun to be ignored by the vendor that's you've spend many thousands of dollars with.
Old 12-12-06, 04:23 PM   #36
sphincter

meh.... and funnily enough, there's a restaurant near my house named mehfil.