Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-13-06, 07:40 PM   #1
miragedarksun

Default Toshiba and 9629 (yeah I know, please bear with me)

This is yet another thread regarding a Toshiba Satellite 1410-304 with a GF4 420 Go. I've read other threads but none seem to describe exactly my problem, and I've tried to provide all the info I could about it.

The highest version that i can use is 8776. It still requires a trick, of course, which is:

Code:
Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidDFPMaxSizeCheck"
AFAIK this is because EDID reports 969x768 as the native resolution, which is incorrect (should be 1024x768) but somehow the driver has been working for these past years.
And I use these module parameters:

Code:
NVreg_SoftEDIDs=0 NVreg_Mobile=2
Now, i've been trying all 9xxx and all failed with these and other options. With 9629, however, i've got it almost working. This was because "NoEdidDFPMaxSizeCheck" no longer exists, and the closest ModeValidation option in 9629 seems to be "NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck". So I tried it, but now the mode fails because of:

Code:
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     Mode is rejected: Mode (1024 x 768) is too large for DFP
(WW) NVIDIA(0):     Native Resolution (Max: 969 x 768).
Then I tried setting "ExactModeTimingsDVI" to "true" again (like I did with 8776) and now 1024x768 is accepted, but I only get a white screen at first, and soon after, a black screen with only a single line at the top. To make this more interesting, when I switch to console, I could swear I can see the gdm login for a fraction of second, before the console appears.

So my question is, how can I convince the driver that 969 x 768 is bogus, when "ExactModeTimingsDVI" is false? Or, how can I correct the display output, when "ExactModeTimingsDVI" is true? One of these should work with just a little extra effort.

Attached are the logs for 8776, 9626 with "ExactModeTimingsDVI", and 9626 without "ExactModeTimingsDVI". Thanks a lot for your attention.
miragedarksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-06, 07:51 AM   #2
Pesci

Default Re: Toshiba and 9629 (yeah I know, please bear with me)

Same problem here. You have explained the problem perfectly...
I hope that they will address the problem but i'm not so sure because it seems that 9629 version will be the last supporting 420 Go chipset.
Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-06, 04:10 PM   #3
pnunn

Angry Re: Toshiba and 9629 (yeah I know, please bear with me)

Same here too... been hammering away at this one for weeks now.

I hope this version isn't the last to support this chip set. There are still heaps of laptops out there using them so why would Nvidia stop supporting them.

I can promise you righ now that if this isn't sorted and sorted soon (as I'm not the only one here suffering this problem) this current crop of equipment will be the last I or anyone in my organisation will be buying with Nvidia graphics in it.

We won't support suppliers that don't support us, as we don't expect any of our customers to support us if we can't support them.. that's how it works sadly...

Peter.
pnunn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-06, 06:26 AM   #4
Pesci

Finally i have resolved this problem using a custom EDID.
I have booted the notebook in Windows XP and imported the EDID from the windows registry using Phoenix EDID editor, a simple freeware application you can download from internet. Then i have exported the EDID in raw format using Phoenix and added the following lines in xorg.conf:

Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP-0"
Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/tos5082.raw"

where "/etc/X11/tos5082.raw" is the path to the file with the exported EDID and finally it works...

Wish it helps!
Pesci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-06, 01:41 PM   #5
miragedarksun

It's amazing, it works! Thank you so much!

Let this be a lesson for the nvidia mods, who like to ignore issues that they believe have no solution, but in reality there's always a way (especially when the same hardware works in windows... like my 8800GTS + Asus K8N4-E, you know what I'm talking about).

Thanks again, amazing job.
miragedarksun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-06, 03:37 PM   #6
pnunn

Happy happy joy... working like a charm.

How is it that noone from Nvidia could come up with this when there are SO many posts about the same problem.

Come on guys... lets get this driver fixed.

Tanks Pesci.
pnunn is offline   Reply With Quote