Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-14-06, 05:50 AM   #1
BeauPiccart

Default RGB-SCART

Hi,

does anyone know how to use the SCART TVOutFormat?
(http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...ppendix-h.html)
I'm currently using the svideo signal as my TV doesn't have a component connector but it does have rgb-scart.
The scart-rgb is a component signal so it should give a better picture than svideo but I have no idea how to connect a scart cable to the videocard (fx 6600).

Beau
BeauPiccart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-06, 07:05 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: RGB-SCART

The drivers don't contain an option to output RGB using scart. In general when you use scart you use some scart-block with an s-video or composite input and connect the TV to it using the correct cable. You just have to select composite/scart, there won't be a difference with normal composite/scart.

(Note that most TVs only recognize composite using SCART, you get a black&white image if you use s-video on those)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-06, 08:16 AM   #3
BeauPiccart

Hi,

I currently use a scartblock with a svideo connector like you describe. My TV has 2 scart connectors, one composite/rgb and one composite/svideo.

The old drivers only supported SVIDEO and COMPOSITE TV-out but now the driver has the following options:

TVOutFormat Description Supported TV standards
"AUTOSELECT" The driver autodetects the output format (default value). PAL, NTSC, HD
"COMPOSITE" Force Composite output format PAL, NTSC
"SVIDEO" Force S-Video output format PAL, NTSC
"COMPONENT" Force Component output format, also called YPrPp HD
"SCART" Force Scart output format, also called Peritel PAL, NTSC

So I think there's a difference between scart and composite/s-video, why else would they create that extra option?
It's not clear what kind of signal it is but RGB-SCART (RGsB) would be the only signal not identical to one of the others.
Old 11-14-06, 12:23 PM   #4
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauPiccart
It's not clear what kind of signal it is but RGB-SCART (RGsB) would be the only signal not identical to one of the others.
SCART connectors can be used for any of these video systems:

- composite
- s-video
- RGB
- component (is possible but rarely seen)

In the USA, SCART connectors are not used. They use different connectors: a yellow cinch connector for composite, a mini-din for s-video, and 3 cinch connectors for component. RGB is not popular in the USA.

When you want to use SCART RGB, normally the sync signal is sent as composite (H+V) sync on a single line, and a signalling line must be held high to tell the TV that it is receiving RGB input. Without this signalling the TV will normally only recognize composite and s-video.

In theory it is perfectly possible to make a converter from VGA to SCART-RGB. The RGB signals are the same and the sync signal can be made with a simple circuit. What makes it a bit cumbersome is that the signalling pin for RGB needs to be active, which requires a power supply.
So, you normally do not find VGA-SCART cables, but the conversion is normally a small box with power connection (from a power adapter or borrowing power from keyboard or USB connector).

When the TV recognizes RGsB it could be possible to use that, but that would be a special feature of the TV, not a generic SCART standard feature. Look in the TV menus.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-06, 02:26 PM   #5
BeauPiccart

Hello,

I'm well aware what SCART is. That's not my question.

My question is: what signal does the SCART tvoutformat option produce?
The "SCART" signal is (bad) nvidia terminology, not mine.

My guess would be its SCART-RGB as composite and svideo are already provided with the "SVIDEO" and "COMPOSITE" options. Maybe its something like the ATI cards have? http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/
Old 11-14-06, 02:34 PM   #6
ukrcald

here's a section from my xorg.conf file:
Section "Monitor"
Identifier "TV"
# HorizSync 15.625# 30.0 - 60.0 #30.0 - 50.0
# VertRefresh 50.0 # - 75.1 # 50
HorizSync 15-17
VertRefresh 49.0-61.0
# 702x576 @ 25Hz, 15.6kHz hsync, itu-r bt.470 PAL, analog broadcast
ModeLine "702x576@25i" 13.5 702 722 785 864 576 581 586 625 interlace -hsync -vsync

Imade my own connector from vga to scart...
you'll need a simple little circuit to handle the sync signals, one transistor and 3 resistors..iirc..
this what you want...
http://www.nexusuk.org/projects/vga2scart/

hope this helps, Rich
ukrcald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-06, 03:14 PM   #7
BeauPiccart

Thanks for the reply but that still didn't answer my question.
The TVOutFormat option specifies the kind of signal on the tv-out connection (7pin mini-din connector in my case).

You can chose between svideo, composite, ... and scart.
Its unclear to me what kind of signal that scart option gives you and how to use it.
Old 11-14-06, 03:51 PM   #8
pe1chl

Trust me, when you can have a VGA to SCART RGB converter you don't want to fiddle with the TV OUT.
TV OUT is severely limited by the special chip that does all the timing and scaling.
With VGA OUT and a proper modeline you can exactly control the picture borders and you get 1:1 mapping between pixels on the X screen and the TV, without scaling.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-14-06, 04:11 PM   #9
BeauPiccart

That would probably be the best solution but I would still like to know what the SCART option does.
Maybe its just vga with the sync, making the converter unnecessary.
I don't know, nobody seems to know

This guy has the same question: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79847
Old 01-03-07, 02:15 PM   #10
pollyplopp

Hi,
I cant answer what the driver does but I've also read/looked around on a VGA-scart converter. Could anyone answer my questions...

It seem to be easy to create an adapter for ATI Radeon's cards since they can use interlace as I understand it (see eg http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart) but apperently they don't work with nvidia.

I found a page with a modified cable which apperently should work with Nvidia (uses a BC548b). Can anyone verify this ? Will it work on my GF6150?

http://www.myhtpc.de/showtopic.php?threadid=5482 (Originally in German so use babelfish to translate)

Please help me find an easy solution to build that works with my gf6150.

Edit: I just looked at the http://www.nexusuk.org/projects/vga2scart page and realise that it is using the same diagram as my german page. Can anyone confirm this will work on a GF6150 (in PAL) ?

Last edited by pollyplopp; 01-03-07 at 04:21 PM.
pollyplopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-07, 02:50 AM   #11
cthulhu
Great Old One

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyplopp
Hi,
I cant answer what the driver does but I've also read/looked around on a VGA-scart converter. Could anyone answer my questions...
If you can't contribute to the thread, then please make your own and stop trying to hi-jack other peoples threads.

I'm also very interested in finding out what the SCART TVOutFormat exactly produces. Could someone from nVidia please eloborate?
Laptop: Asus U6V, Core2Duo P8400, 3GB DDR2, 9300M GS
OS on all: Gentoo Linux

Bought a computer bundled with windows? Don't want to use windows? Demand a refund!
cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-07, 09:09 AM   #12
ldc

*bump*

Yea, the "SCART" TVOutFormat option is really a big black hole... have been searching for quite some time about this but without any luck...

Have posted a question on the nvidia forums too:
http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=40142

So hopefully we might get a response from someone at nvidia..
ldc is offline   Reply With Quote