Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-28-06, 12:30 PM   #1
yesil

Default TwinView Problem With Two CRTs

Hi;

I'm using GeForce Gx6200 TD TurboCache Nvidia graphics card. My OEM card has one CRT one DVI-I output. I'm trying to get dual head display on my Xorg server. The problem is I couldn't make it work with one CRT and other CRT using Analog converter. When I plug one CRT and one DVI monitor it works, but with two CRTs attached with connector, I got same view on both monitors.

I'm not quite sure what causes that but it seems like nvidia driver could not get proper information from my CRT as it queries information from an LCD monitor.

Is there a way to make drivers to simulate second monitor as CRT instead of LCD?

What makes me thing that it is possible is, I do get different views when I plug LCD monitor instead of CRT with same configuration. With double CRT what I only get is a wider desktop but left view on both monitors instead of right view is on right monitor.

Also, nvidia does not detect the second monitor if I don't supply the ConnectedMonitors (or something) as 'CRT, DVI' (of course I do not write DVI but the equivalent of DVI - LPD or something) with second CRT is attached with VGA converter.

Here's the Nvidia Driver information:
NVIDIA Corporation compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 1.0.7667
yesil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-06, 01:53 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: TwinView Problem With Two CRTs

If this problem reproduces with the 1.0-8178 driver, please generate and post an nvidia-bug-report.log for review.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-06, 02:56 AM   #3
yesil

I'm attaching the bug report log. Btw, should I send it to linux-bugs@nvidia.com as well?
Old 03-01-06, 02:59 AM   #4
yesil

I had a problem while uploading due to file size. Anyways here's the attached bug report zipped. Btw, why forum do not accept .gz extensions anyways.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (24.1 KB, 127 views)
Old 03-01-06, 11:57 AM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm not clear on what you mean when you stated that "I got same view on both monitors". Are you saying that its behaving as if in Clone mode? Is there a reason why you have this mode in your metamodes:
1280x1024+1280+0
instead of just "1280x1024,1280x1024" ?

With respect to the 2nd display not getting detected without using ConnectedMonitor, are you using a KVM, or any other device in between the 2nd display and videocard? Please remove ConnectedMonitor from your X configuration, and then start X with the following command:
startx -- -logverbose 5

and then generate and post a new bug report for review.

There's no need to send the bug report to linux-bugs@nvidia.com if you've already posted here. I'm going to reply regardless.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 03-01-06, 01:12 PM   #6
yesil

I do not use KVM switch, but I use dvi to analog converter to use dvi output of my video card.

The reason 1280x1024+1280+0 has no meaning, it's there because I tried everything I found over web, and it just left like that, but for sure I tried 1280x1024, 1280x1024 as well. And it had the same result.

To express the situation clearly I can say, I have a wide workspace when I have twinview on, and the right half of it is not visible on both monitors. Both of the monitors show the left half of this workspace, for example. I can move the window to right half, however it gets out of view. (On both monitors I have the same image).

I'll do what you told to me. Btw, if I remove the ConnectedMonitors I only got one monitor size workspace, (on both monitors) and I had in logs something about only one monitor found.

I want to repeat that when I don't use the dvi to analog converter, and instead plug a DVI LCD monitor, I got a flawless twinview desktop. The problem must be related with the dvi to analog converter, and I really couldn't understand why I can't make it just show the rigth view on the dvi output.

I'll put the detailed log. But if there's a way to ignore checking of LCD or something, please tell me so.
Old 03-01-06, 02:38 PM   #7
yesil

Second CRT attached with DVI to Analog converter, and ConnectedMonitors line is deleted.
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (23.4 KB, 118 views)
Old 03-01-06, 03:05 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Did you start X with the following command before generating the bug report?
startx -- -logverbose 5

Have you verified that you have the latest BIOS applied for the motherboard?

Thanks,
Lonni

Old 03-01-06, 03:07 PM   #9
yesil

BIOS for motherboard? Is that necessary? I don't know but I purchased this board fairly recently. doing that will void the warranty. I forgot putting -debug switch, I'll repost the bug report.
Old 03-01-06, 03:21 PM   #10
yesil

Here's the bug report with -logverbose 5
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report.log.zip (24.2 KB, 125 views)
Old 03-01-06, 03:33 PM   #11
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'm seen a few cases where a BIOS bug causes the problem you're reporting. I'm afraid I don't understand how updating the BIOS will void the warranty. Can you clarify this?

Please add the ConnectedMonitor entry back, and generate another verbose X log for review.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 03-01-06, 03:35 PM   #12
yesil

Well, I just checked the bios and the latest firmware on motherboard manufacturer's page. I got the latest BIOS . I'm posting new bug report immediatelly.