Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-31-07, 08:30 AM   #1
rbm0307

Default Does Nvidia driver support 7600GS features?

I'm in the midst of assembling components for building a MythTV frontend (on Ubuntu 6.10). My question relates to the specialize HW on the XFX 7600GS video card. Does the drivers available from Nvidia support the High-Definition H.264, MPEG-2 and WMV hardware and integrated HDTV encoder on this card? Or is it largely ignored?

Also, I can't seem to find the maximum resolution available from the S-video connector on any spec sheet. Is it 1024x768 like other Geforce4 tv-out processors or is it 1080i as listed for the integrated HDTV encoder?

Thanks for any enlightenment.

- Robert
rbm0307 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 09:34 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Does Nvidia driver support 7600GS features?

The linux driveronly offers functionality for mpeg1/mpeg2 decoding using XvMC which is supported by most players. Second s-video isn't made for very high resolutions. In general a HDTV is connected using component which offers better image quality and higher resolutions than s-video. The best thing to use is ofcourse DVI/HDMI.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-07, 11:18 AM   #3
rbm0307

Default Re: Does Nvidia driver support 7600GS features?

Thank you for your reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
The linux driver only offers functionality for mpeg1/mpeg2 decoding using XvMC which is supported by most players.
I guess this means that the card does not offer any HW assistance to decode MPEG2 streams and offload the CPU. Pity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbird
Second s-video isn't made for very high resolutions. In general a HDTV is connected using component which offers better image quality and higher resolutions than s-video. The best thing to use is of course DVI/HDMI.
My current AV setup precludes the use of component, DVI or HDMI interconnects because of limitations in the AV receiver. So, S-video is the only interconnect I can use at the moment until I upgrade major components in the system.

My research reveals that low-end Nvidia Geforce4 cards support 1024x768 max. resolution from the S-video connector which will match well with my current SD video setup. And I suspect the same S-video driver hardware is probably being used in the 7600GS. So it makes no difference, from the perspective of video performance or supporting my current interconnect setup, if I invest in a video card like the 5200 or a 7600GS Nvidia card. However, if I plan to upgrade to HD one day, getting the 7600GS would be the best investment today (and hope for HW supprt in the Linux driver in time). Is this a correct analysis?
rbm0307 is offline   Reply With Quote