Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-22-06, 11:52 AM   #1
MalakithSkadi

Default MMORPG Recommendation Please - Quite Long

Hi Guys,

Im looking for a new game to try and fill what is most likely a very picky set of preferences. I dont really rate my chances but well, the combined knowledge of this board will hopefully find it should my holy grail exist

Background

Star Wars Galaxies - (From launch -> Combat patch), EVE Online - beta test and after for a bit, Everquest II (At release - quit rather soon after), Guild Wars and finally World of Warcraft (launch -> 2 years).

What I liked in the games.

SWG - The way you owned your own home, player cities, business'. Just the whole social side of the game

Eve - errrm.... The diversity of skills allowing you to pretty much be what you wanted to be... wasnt overly impressed by the no matter how much work you put in you never catch someone starting before you though. Oh and Dying is actually a bad thing, yet not totally crippling aslong as you took the correct precautions (insurance / clone). So you fear it, but dont hate it so much you stop playing

Everquest II - Finally a game that gets my idea of a Ranger! Then I got hit with the no solo, no PvP even though they had two perfectly opposed factions ripe for useage

Guild Wars - ...... it was free... yea, thats about it.

WoW - The combat system with cooldowns and a large number of abilities as opposed to the combat queue or limitation on "active" abilities like SWG and Guild wars. Also the general principal of a PvP server, Friendly, Contested and Hostile territorys (Although I still maintain they screwed this over with honor and BGs)

So to summerise whats turned into a rather long rant, the features I would like in a game.

1. Some social content, obviously not to the scale of SWG but something to do other then goto X instance with Y amount of people and bash stuff. People interraction basically. I want to know the players around me other then Their X class with Y skills and are good at slaying NPCs...

2. A PvP system that is more then just Duels and miniture arena fights. But also preferably not something like a WoW battlefield. I guess "World PvP" sums it up best, so you can use the surroundings and some actual brain power.

3. The abiltity to do stuff on my own, obviously not expecting to do everything this way. But if i log on at 1am and all my friends are offline i dont want to have to sit there bored. Example being end game WoW, oh what can i do till raid time........ yes, exactly.

Im not too bothered about era, Fantasy, Sci Fi, whatever.

Hopefully someone was bored enough to read all that lot and id be grateful for any suggestions.
MalakithSkadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-06, 12:09 PM   #2
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

Default Re: MMORPG Recommendation Please - Quite Long

Nothing like this exists. There is a huge chasm created by WoW in the MMORPG world. Most developers and publishers are waiting for WoW's bubble to pop, which unfortunately will see at least a temporary boost in popularity (for an already popular game) with the Burning Crusade. They are afraid to release any new games with anything to challenge WoW's bait & switch tactics. "Let them level fast, let them farm forever for rep." Once people are hooked, you've got them. And now with proposed yearly expansions to be released we may be looking at the beginning of the WoW Dynasty in gaming...

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-06, 12:20 PM   #3
nVidi0t
Quad Damage

Send a message via ICQ to nVidi0t

Malakith, with the new PvP system you can do stuff solo in WoW and not lose your life getting marshal gear. When you gain honor it adds to a pool which calculates lifetime honor so you can unlock items. It will no longer be calculated weekly.
System: Intel Core 2 e6600 @ 3.6ghz (450*8) @ 1.475v | Koolance Exos 2 Water Cooler | 4096Mb Mushkin ASCENT 8500 @ 2.1v @ 1160Mhz| Asus P5k Deluxe P35 'bearlake' 804bios | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 850W| BFG 8800GT OC2 675Mhz | 150GB WD Raptor X | Seagate Barracuda 250GB SATA | Lian Li V2000 PC2 Case | Pioneer DL Burner | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI FATAL1TY FPS | Dell 2707WFP 27" LCD | Windows Vista Ultimate | Sennheiser HD-590 Prestige/Sennheiser HD-650 Headphones w/ Emmeline Hornet Amp | Razer Deathadder | Razer tarantula Keyboard |
nVidi0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-06, 12:43 PM   #4
MalakithSkadi

... Dont even try and tempt me back to WoW.

Wait 20 hours of the day for the 4 hour raid to the same boring place where most classes are locked into X, Y, Z talent build.

Or... randomly run around a Battleground getting "owned" by the premade team on the other side. Make my own premade? oh wait that means sitting around waiting for those people i have to raid with to be online again...

Get marshal gear? why? i have full Tier 2. WoW is dead for me, dont even try.

Thats not aimed at you by the way, thats me ranting at the crap of a game i wasted 2 years on.

Had a look at vanguard, seems the building and social system is there. The solo thing is there even if its leveling the crafting side of things. And they mention PvP servers of varying rulesets. So i guess thats the game im aiming at, just would be nice to find something to occupy me in the mean time as I am insanely bored.
MalakithSkadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-06, 01:08 PM   #5
Tr1cK
not coming back

If a game keeps you hooked for 2 years, then how is it crap?

The average FPS doesn't have more than 10 hours worth of play to it. The average RPG won't have much more than 50 or so. With 2 years, you probably had a few thousand hours there.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-06, 01:21 PM   #6
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

I too played WoW since early closed beta and just recently gave it up. 2.5 years of a game is a very long time, especially with the time and effort put into it. Usually when a game like that turns to crap is when relations worsen inside the game or you find yourself most nights alone or unwilling to do things. I know that while I liked PvPing, I would never get top spot even if I tried my hardest, life you know...it gets in the way .

PvE, well I got about 1/3rd of the way through AQ40 with one of my guilds, and the other guild I was in was farming MC. But after 2.5 years, I was just tired of everything. I had done everything I could do in those 2.5 years and nothing interested me. Sure there was the short term satisfaction of finishing a quest or getting enough rep to get a weapon or armor or something, but that was it, and I realized this is how it's going to be for the next year with Burning Crusade and the year after that with the next expansion.

I have several R/L friends that play and still do, but I'm done, been off it for a month now and it feels good to have so much extra time in my life to do/try other things. I'm not sure after DAOC, SWG, FFXI, and WoW that I will ever play another MMORPG.

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-06, 01:22 PM   #7
|MaguS|

Lineage 2... PVP always on, Massive Wars, Own a Castle with your Guild and control the economy of the areas around your castle. Raids aplenty... just have to deal with the Farmers but they are slowly going bye bye.
Old 11-22-06, 01:24 PM   #8
Tr1cK
not coming back

I played from a week after release until about 2 months ago. Great game, just took too much dedication which I can't do since RL commitments are becoming more and more.

Old 11-23-06, 05:36 AM   #9
mcolbourn
Time waits for no man!

yea I loved WOW too! (lost nearly 2 years playing it) but gave it up over two months ago and never looked back I have gone back to games you can put down and save when you like. But I will say after playing WOW I wanted to try a normal RPG and have got into Titan Quest and NWN 2 and love them both. The only MMO that I may try later next year is Warhammer Online.
Old 11-23-06, 04:42 PM   #10
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcolbourn
yea I loved WOW too! (lost nearly 2 years playing it) but gave it up over two months ago and never looked back I have gone back to games you can put down and save when you like. But I will say after playing WOW I wanted to try a normal RPG and have got into Titan Quest and NWN 2 and love them both. The only MMO that I may try later next year is Warhammer Online.
Exactly the same here

WoW (retired), TQ, NWN2, waiting for Warhammer. All other (MMO)RPGs have been or are turning out to be a big dissapointment to me.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-06, 12:56 AM   #11
Tr1cK
not coming back

ditto on the TQ
Old 11-24-06, 11:23 AM   #12
matthewcraig

Here are my recommendations:

A Tale in the Desert - ATITD - Free to try and download. They have extensive social interaction and a neat idea. Like I said, free to try, so why not fool with it until while you are waiting on other games to come out of the pipeline? No combat... although, it's a very different game, so don't let the lack of violence keep you from giving it a try.

City of Heroes - CoH, CoV - Some good social interaction and good story. Cheaper to get into the game now. Content is a little short, however.

Final Fantasy Online - Not played this myself, but I am told it is group based PvE. I am planning to try it when I get some time.

I'm waiting for new MMORPGs to come out, too. Something with a clean interface, a polished rule-set and lots of social interaction. In my opinion, WoW misses the boat on social interaction. After playing for over a year, here is my experience: From level 1-55, I had trouble finding groups (as a healer, none-the-less) and finding terrible pick-up-groups. Members in my large guild were either too high or too low for a balanced dungeon run. Plus, you have to wait long times for people traveling across Azeroth to arrive.

I kept hoping that when I reached 60 that everything would change since everyone was the same level. Instead of nice, simple level 60 grouping, WoW drives level 60s to get their uber-gear through large raids. So, then I started hoping that getting into a raid guild would be where I would have the group-focused dungeon experiences. Didn't find it there either! Fast forward to a new server, getting yet another PC up to level 60, and me joining a raiding guild. Turns out, raids are the most boring things in the world... everyone standing around and doing their one or two things over and over... and WAITING... oh, gawd the waiting. Waiting hours for the raid to start, waiting 10-15 even 30+ minutes between fights...

In short, I spent over a year diving in the deeps of Lake Warcraft, only to find the social experience is simply not there. It's tragic because you look at the polished surface and think, well, it MUST be there somewhere. For me, it was very disappointing to find it was not. So, yes, very much hoping for those new MMORPGs to come out.

Here is the big question I will review in future MMOGs: Can you group with people of different levels and still have a fun experience? That's the tell-tale sign. If the game starts with the premise that players cannot work together unless certain requirements are met, then you KNOW the rest of the game is not going to be socially-inclined! Okay, rant off, good luck finding your next game.
matthewcraig is offline   Reply With Quote