Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-23-06, 09:30 AM   #13
dirtay

Default Re: TwinView on Ubuntu Edgy

Those referrences are to my having reinstalled the repository nvidia-glx drivers. It had to uninstall the repository driver in order to reinstall itself. X actually started. It loaded my desktop then the screen went completely white. Attempted to restart X but it fully broke the second try. Threw the "X was unable to start" card back at me.
dirtay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 10:06 AM   #14
dirtay

Generated a Bug report and xorg.0.log with xstart -- -verbose 5 after x stopped working:

http://www.dirtay.com/nvidia-bug-report.log
http://www.dirtay.com/Xorg.0.log2

Hope this will be of some assistance. Thank you, Cambo, for all of your help thus far.
Old 11-23-06, 12:18 PM   #15
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

According to your bug report, you've got the 1.0-7184 nvidia kernel module with the 1.0-9629 nvidia X driver. This suggests that you didn't follow the instructions here:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 01:45 PM   #16
dirtay

Followed those specs to the best of my ability. Reinstalled drivers. X is no longer crashing. I have, however lost my second monitor. Bug report and install log:
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-installer.log (25.9 KB, 98 views)
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (129.8 KB, 106 views)
Old 11-23-06, 03:47 PM   #17
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Please start X with the following command:
startx -- -logverbose 6

and then generate a new bug report.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 11-23-06, 09:38 PM   #18
dirtay

I found a few more Nvidia installs from the repository with Synaptic and uninstalled them. Also noticed that i have a package called smartdimmer which is supposed to be for Nvidia Geforce 6200Go cards. Attempting to remove that also wants to remove packages acpi-support, gnome-power-manager, gnome-session, powermanagement-interface, and ubuntu-desktop. I have, therefore, left this package installed.

Reinstalled the new driver once more. Same problems as before, second monitor is dead, beryl is dead, but x is still running. New bug log with verbose 6.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (36.7 KB, 104 views)
Old 11-23-06, 10:14 PM   #19
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

The problem here seems to be that you did not provide HorizSync & VertRefresh values for the Monitor in xorg.conf, so the driver is falling back to safe defaults which then results in 800x600 being the largest validated mode for the DFP.
Old 11-24-06, 10:08 AM   #20
dirtay

I thought with TwinView the "SecondMonitorHorizSync" and VerticalRefresh options should do that, respectively? Either way i also created a second Monitor section for the DFP where i explicitly specified the horizsync and vertrefresh rates. I'm still only getting display on one monitor(CRT).
Attached Files
File Type: txt xorg.conf.txt (5.5 KB, 111 views)

Old 11-24-06, 03:27 PM   #21
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I think it would be beneficial for now to remove Twinview from the picture, and focus on getting just the DFP working (since that isn't working currently). Please remove Twinview, and add the following option:
Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP"

then start X with the following command:
startx -- -logverbose 6

and generate a new bug report.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 11-24-06, 04:21 PM   #22
dirtay

Uh...actually i got pissed off and reinstalled Ubuntu edgy. I think the majority of the problem was that i had previously installed the repository nvidia-glx drivers and for whatever reason the kernel wasn't being cleaned out properly. Still have a few minor bugs. Running 'sudo nvidia-settings' throws errors and does not open the display fully. Workaround has been to open nvidia-settings without sudo and just copy+paste the xorg.conf file it generates using gksudo gedit. Twinview works better now than it did before, and with the addition of an option in xorg.conf beryl also works much better.

Thanks Cambo and Lonnie, for all your help.