Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-25-06, 04:00 AM   #13
Dragoran

Default Re: PS3 nvidia drivers ?

the ps3 only allows the os to write to the framebuffer but accessing the gpu to do 3D (or even 2D) accel does not work. Sony did this because they don't want that anybody writes games for the ps3 and bypass there licencing by let it run on linux.
Dragoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-06, 07:10 AM   #14
longshot

I know Linux can be installed, but what OS does the PS3 run out of the box? Specifically is it Linux?
longshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-06, 07:37 AM   #15
Lithorus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoran
the ps3 only allows the os to write to the framebuffer but accessing the gpu to do 3D (or even 2D) accel does not work. Sony did this because they don't want that anybody writes games for the ps3 and bypass there licencing by let it run on linux.
Excactly. With binary drivers for PS3 you could in theory make a livecd for PC with both the game and the OS, that just "happens" to also run on the PS3.
Lithorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-06, 07:51 AM   #16
somoney

The PS3 (Playstation 3) uses a hybrid of the nvidia G70 chipset burried on the motherboard and well hidden from prying eyes.

According to Terra Soft: The creators of Yellow Dog Linux and one of the most stable of the PPC builds of linux sated "The Nvidia graphics card is not supported beyond framebuffer mode. This does not reduce the quality of the image, but does not provide accelerated video nor OpenGL support. "
It's a game console 1st, but when bootded into linux it's a soso High Definition HTPC. It will be some time before Sony spoon feeds the open source community enough information to get linux 3D Acceleration working or OpenGL fully installed, so for those thinking this is the end-all-be-all of PC's think again.

I own a PS3 and have been using YDL 5 (Yellow Dog Linux version 5) for a couple weeks now, Graphics wise it looks great, and I can check my email, and open a word doc from my couch now. Seriously, there are better choices in the home theater arena. Think long and hard as to what the PS3 can become if Sony decided to give us all the information needed to get 3D Acceleration working. a Glorified PC with a GeForce7 card in it but with less expandability.
somoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-06, 08:06 AM   #17
JaXXoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by somoney
I own a PS3 and have been using YDL 5 (Yellow Dog Linux version 5) for a couple weeks now
I guess you didn't yet had a chance to play around with the
programming environment for the SPEs?

The situation is that the six (?) SPEs on the PS3 have about 150
GFlops, so the idea would be to port (and distribute) Mesa to the SPEs.
I guess you won't get the full performance of a G70 GPU, but
sufficient enough to do some 3D gaming, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by somoney
if Sony decided to give us all the information needed to get 3D Acceleration working.
This is almost for sure not going to happen, because it would make
me wonder if nvidia would allow SONY to publish any details on the
G70 GPU (because of patent mine fields).

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-06, 09:08 AM   #18
russofris

Quote:
This is almost for sure not going to happen, because it would make
me wonder if nvidia would allow SONY to publish any details on the
G70 GPU (because of patent mine fields).
I am under the assumption that the NV47 has already been rev-eng'd, and that the stock nouveau driver will work on it with little modification. There is only the issue of whether the hardware is abstracted by the hypervisor or not. Perhaps someone with more information (or a PS3) could ping the thread. An lspci-vv will tell us all we need to know.

Thank you for your time,
Frank Russo
russofris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-06, 09:13 AM   #19
russofris

Quote:
There is only the issue of whether the hardware is abstracted by the hypervisor or not. Perhaps someone with more information (or a PS3) could ping the thread. An lspci-vv will tell us all we need to know.
To answer my own question, it is abstracted. All you can access are the USB ports.

Code:
00:01.0 USB Controller: Toshiba America Unknown device 01b6 (rev 01) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Interrupt: pin ? routed to IRQ 16
        Region 0: [virtual] Memory at 4000001a0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=64K]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk+ DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold-)

00:01.1 USB Controller: Toshiba America Unknown device 01b5 (rev 01) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
        Control: I/O- Mem- BusMaster- SpecCycle- MemWINV- VGASnoop- ParErr- Stepping- SERR- FastB2B-
        Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Interrupt: pin ? routed to IRQ 10
        Region 0: [virtual] Memory at 4000001b0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=64K]

00:02.0 USB Controller: Toshiba America Unknown device 01b6 (rev 01) (prog-if 10 [OHCI])
        Status: Cap+ 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Interrupt: pin ? routed to IRQ 17
        Region 0: [virtual] Memory at 4000001c0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=64K]
        Capabilities: [dc] Power Management version 2
                Flags: PMEClk+ DSI- D1- D2- AuxCurrent=0mA PME(D0+,D1-,D2-,D3hot+,D3cold-)

00:02.1 USB Controller: Toshiba America Unknown device 01b5 (rev 01) (prog-if 20 [EHCI])
        Status: Cap- 66MHz- UDF- FastB2B- ParErr- DEVSEL=fast >TAbort- <TAbort- <MAbort- >SERR- <PERR-
        Interrupt: pin ? routed to IRQ 11
        Region 0: [virtual] Memory at 4000001d0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [disabled] [size=64K]
No acceleration without direct access to the hardware.

Frank
russofris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-06, 11:22 PM   #20
somoney

Well hidden indeed.

I thought about running 3D apps with software emulation thinking the CPU(s) would be more than adequate to run basic games.
Ill try some 3D testing but I doubt it's going to work very well without serious modification to the games/apps themselves to use the Cell architecture.
The point of this thread should really be help in getting more out of the NV70 thats already in the PS3 but they had hidden it so damn well that unless you know exactly where to look in memory/hardware your in for alot of crashes....

like a Private, in a dark room, with a book of matches
somoney is offline   Reply With Quote