Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-23-06, 10:56 AM   #1
shing6326
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6
Question [solved]nforce 550 sata support hotplug??

hi,
I'm using kernel 2.6.18-r2 on my gentoo linux, the hotplug function seems do not work on my mcp55 sata, i tried to add a silicon image 3114 ide sata card and the hotplug function work perfectly, so i guess it may be the driver problems....is there anyone using mcp55 sata and the hotplug function works??

Last edited by shing6326; 11-30-06 at 04:19 AM.
shing6326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-06, 01:39 PM   #2
shing6326
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6
Default Re: nforce 550 sata support hotplug??

help..
shing6326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-06, 04:31 PM   #3
firewalker
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Ellas
Posts: 32
Default Re: nforce 550 sata support hotplug??

Quote:
Originally Posted by shing6326
help..
There might be information at :

http://linux-ata.org/
firewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-06, 09:20 PM   #4
shing6326
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6
Default Re: nforce 550 sata support hotplug??

Quote:
Originally Posted by firewalker
There might be information at :

http://linux-ata.org/
thnaks for your help....
NOTE: Newer NVIDIA chipsets are AHCI, and use the ahci driver rather than the sata_nv driver.
I've checked /usr/src/linux-2.6.18-gentoo-r2/drivers/scsi/ahci.c, ahci driver seems only support mcp65, but my MB is mcp55......
Code:
        /* NVIDIA */
        { PCI_VENDOR_ID_NVIDIA, 0x044c, PCI_ANY_ID, PCI_ANY_ID, 0, 0,
          board_ahci },         /* MCP65 */
        { PCI_VENDOR_ID_NVIDIA, 0x044d, PCI_ANY_ID, PCI_ANY_ID, 0, 0,
          board_ahci },         /* MCP65 */
        { PCI_VENDOR_ID_NVIDIA, 0x044e, PCI_ANY_ID, PCI_ANY_ID, 0, 0,
          board_ahci },         /* MCP65 */
        { PCI_VENDOR_ID_NVIDIA, 0x044f, PCI_ANY_ID, PCI_ANY_ID, 0, 0,
          board_ahci },         /* MCP65 */
shing6326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-06, 02:00 PM   #5
zbiggy
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Posts: 623
Default Re: nforce 550 sata support hotplug??

I have MCP51 and single Seagte SATA1 80GiB drive. With compiled sata_nv into kernel I can boot Linux from this sata disk.

It looks sata_nv supports MPC55 too.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-06, 03:44 PM   #6
Ironi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 86
Default Re: nforce 550 sata support hotplug??

I have an MCP55 590 board with a JMicron AHCI controller:

# lspci|grep AHCI
03:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
03:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)


If you also have something like that, then try checking your BIOS for an option like "Onboard SATA/IDE Control Mode" [IDE/AHCI]. If it's there, set it to AHCI and you should be able to use the ahci driver. Oddly, sata_nv is still required on my board as well, so I have both compiled in (but the ahci driver is being used).
Ironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-06, 06:45 PM   #7
philipl
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 116
Default Re: nforce 550 sata support hotplug??

Quote:
Originally Posted by shing6326
hi,
I'm using kernel 2.6.18-r2 on my gentoo linux, the hotplug function seems do not work on my mcp55 sata, i tried to add a silicon image 3114 ide sata card and the hotplug function work perfectly, so i guess it may be the driver problems....is there anyone using mcp55 sata and the hotplug function works??
you can but you need additional patches - specifically the hotplug polling patch set. i think this might make 2.6.19 but i'm not sure. works great here.
__________________
--phil
philipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-06, 10:39 AM   #8
shing6326
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6
Default Re: nforce 550 sata support hotplug??

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbiggy
I have MCP51 and single Seagte SATA1 80GiB drive. With compiled sata_nv into kernel I can boot Linux from this sata disk.

It looks sata_nv supports MPC55 too.
yes...sata_nv support mcp55 but i can't hotplug the hard disk....


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironi
I have an MCP55 590 board with a JMicron AHCI controller:

# lspci|grep AHCI
03:00.0 SATA controller: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)
03:00.1 IDE interface: JMicron Technologies, Inc. JMicron 20360/20363 AHCI Controller (rev 02)


If you also have something like that, then try checking your BIOS for an option like "Onboard SATA/IDE Control Mode" [IDE/AHCI]. If it's there, set it to AHCI and you should be able to use the ahci driver. Oddly, sata_nv is still required on my board as well, so I have both compiled in (but the ahci driver is being used).
here is my lspci result, my motherboard do not have any settings to change the sata mode, I've call the support and they told me the ahci function is always on......

Code:
00:00.0 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Memory Controller (rev a1)
00:01.0 ISA bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 LPC Bridge (rev a2)
00:01.1 SMBus: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SMBus (rev a2)
00:01.2 RAM memory: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Memory Controller (rev a2)
00:02.0 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a1)
00:02.1 USB Controller: nVidia Corporation MCP55 USB Controller (rev a2)
00:04.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 IDE (rev a1)
00:05.0 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:05.1 IDE interface: nVidia Corporation MCP55 SATA Controller (rev a2)
00:06.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI bridge (rev a2)
00:08.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 Ethernet (rev a2)
00:0a.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0b.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0c.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0d.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0e.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:0f.0 PCI bridge: nVidia Corporation MCP55 PCI Express bridge (rev a2)
00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] HyperTransport Technology Configuration
00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Address Map
00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] DRAM Controller
00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron] Miscellaneous Control
01:06.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. Savage 4 (rev 02)
01:08.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by philipl
you can but you need additional patches - specifically the hotplug polling patch set. i think this might make 2.6.19 but i'm not sure. works great here.
can you give me more details please??I've search "hotplug polling patch set" in google but i don't know which one should i download....

thanks all
shing6326 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-26-06, 01:11 PM   #9
Ironi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 86
Default Re: nforce 550 sata support hotplug??

Quote:
Originally Posted by shing6326
here is my lspci result, my motherboard do not have any settings to change the sata mode, I've call the support and they told me the ahci function is always on......
Hmm. Email Jeff Garzik and ask him to clarify what falls under "Newer NVIDIA chipsets". There might be a good reason why MCP55 SATA isn't supported by the ahci driver, even if the controller is compliant with the AHCI spec.

Quote:
can you give me more details please??I've search "hotplug polling patch set" in google but i don't know which one should i download....
This appears to be the latest version, but I could be wrong.
Ironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-06, 02:52 PM   #10
philipl
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Sunnyvale, CA
Posts: 116
Default Re: nforce 550 sata support hotplug??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironi
Hmm. Email Jeff Garzik and ask him to clarify what falls under "Newer NVIDIA chipsets". There might be a good reason why MCP55 SATA isn't supported by the ahci driver, even if the controller is compliant with the AHCI spec.
MCP5x is simply not AHCI compatible. Only the upcoming MCP6x chipsets have AHCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironi
This appears to be the latest version, but I could be wrong.
This is correct, but these patches don't apply to 2.6.18 because they depend on a bunch of other stuff.

Luckily for us, Tejun Ho has backported almost all of his patches to 2.6.18 and you can download his patch set here:

http://home-tj.org/wiki/index.php/Libata-tj-stable

This set includes the hotplug polling functionality.

Hope that helps.
__________________
--phil
philipl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-06, 09:52 PM   #11
shing6326
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6
Default Re: nforce 550 sata support hotplug??

deleted

Last edited by shing6326; 11-30-06 at 04:20 AM.
shing6326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 04:23 AM   #12
shing6326
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 6
Default Re: nforce 550 sata support hotplug??

finally the problem solved.........
I applied the Libata-tj-stable patch on 2.6.18-gentoo-r3 with latest udev103 to get the hptplug function work,yeah!!....
shing6326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Remastered Doom 3 BFG Edition Game Coming with Stereo 3D Support News Archived News Items 0 06-01-12 05:30 AM
Official Detonator 40.xx Feedback Thread pelly NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers 299 09-22-02 06:54 AM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.