Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-24-06, 03:36 AM   #1
Nokao

Default HELP: ASUS M2N-MX and kubuntu breezy

I need a little help... i just bought an ASUS M2N-MX and nothing works...

Not the network.... not the audio... not the on-board video card... (i see the desktop out of the monitor).

It runs this nvidia stuff:
NVIDIA nForce430/GeForce6100

I got windows on another partition so i can download what i want and put it into a shared partition...

What can i do?
Nokao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-06, 05:38 AM   #2
Cambo

Send a message via Yahoo to Cambo
Default Re: HELP: ASUS M2N-MX and kubuntu breezy

Why are you using Breezy? Dapper has been out for ages, and Edgy has been out for a while....

Cambo
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-06, 06:01 AM   #3
Nokao

I got the same problems with dapper... i always use dapper... but this motherboard is out in the stock from 6 months so i thinked that a newer system could be better...

Anyone else can help?
Old 11-24-06, 06:17 AM   #4
Cambo

A more recent version of Ubuntu (or any other version of Linux, for that matter) will always have more recent drivers built in, so you should have less problems with them.

To get the video working properly, I would suggest you download the 9629 drivers from http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_d..._1.0-9629.html and follow the info on http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=79966

As for your network and sound, try http://www.nvidia.com/object/linux_nforce_1.11.html

Cambo
Old 11-24-06, 06:31 AM   #5
Nokao

I'll try as soon as i get home...

But... when those drivers will be inside the next releases? That's a big problem that makes my computer "not free" to configure... cause i always need external drivers and files that the linux cds don't have...

The network problem is the biggest, in this case.
Old 11-24-06, 06:40 AM   #6
Cambo

Heehee. Yeah, it's an old argument about Open Source vs proprietary drivers. For now, I'm quite happy to use Nvidia's drivers for my graphics card.

As for the sound and network drivers, I don't know why the kernel cannot set up some of these. I guess it's just a case of the correct device IDs and stuff being used to get them running.

Cambo
Old 11-24-06, 07:17 AM   #7
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

FC5 (Fedora Core 5) will run on that board "Out of the Box". I run FC5 on an Asus Crosshair board, (Later chipset, Nvidia 590) and I didn't have to install 3rd party Network card, or sound drivers... Although I wouldn't use the on board sound card for gaming.. As it's crap.. I installed a Creative Audigy 2 ZS for that purpose.. But for non gaming it should be fine.. All you need to do is to install the video drivers and your set..

Also make sure it's running the latest BIOS as well..

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-06, 08:04 AM   #8
Nokao

Thank you wolf... the bios is updated... cause i got another problem with the silent fan system: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...85#post1077285

I'll try fedora... for the network card... sigh.

Old 11-24-06, 08:27 AM   #9
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

I think with the CPU fan speed stuff, you might need to have CPUSPEED running. FC5 installs that by default.. I think it both reduces the CPU clock and fan speed to keep the CPU cool.. But I don't use it.. The high CPU fan speed doesn't bother me..

You may also need the download the Cool'n'Quite utility from the AMD website..
Quote:
Quote from the AMD Site..

AMD Athlon™ 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver Version 1.50.03 Linux - AMD Athlon 64 Cool'n'Quiet Driver Version 1.50.03 for Linux 2.6 series kernels. Provides support for AMD Cool'n'Quiet technology for Linux systems. Adds support for 2.6.10 and later kernels. Requires cpufreq-1.20, cpuspeed-1.20.1, or powersaved-0.8.19 or later to support SMP and dual-core systems.

Wolf
Old 11-24-06, 08:43 AM   #10
Nokao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman [TWP]
I think with the CPU fan speed stuff, you might need to have CPUSPEED running. FC5 installs that by default.. I think it both reduces the CPU clock and fan speed to keep the CPU cool.. But I don't use it.. The high CPU fan speed doesn't bother me..

You may also need the download the Cool'n'Quite utility from the AMD website..

Wolf
Thank you but i have this problem IN WINDOWS with all the AMD stuff installed.

My problem is that i miss the COLL N QUITE OPTION in the bios... still after updading.

Talking about fedora 6... isn't it a server distribution? How does it work as desktop distribution?
Old 11-24-06, 08:54 AM   #11
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

I wouldn't go for FC6 yet.. Too many major changes.. I'd stick with FC5. You just install what you need.. You just don't need to install things like HTTP (webserver), file server, stuff like that... You get the options of what to install before it does the actual install.. I've installed FC5, since I'm waiting on Redhat to release their Enterprise 5 version, which will be more stable.. (I have Redhat subscriptions)..

It's strange that you don't have the Cool'n'Quite option in your BIOS, the Crosshair has it.. But I don't use it..

Wolf
Old 11-24-06, 09:04 AM   #12
Nokao

Yes it's strange... cause it's declared on the manual but it don't compare.

I'm writing asus to have some explanation... i bought that motherboard to make a silent pc.