Go Back   nV News Forums > Website Related > Feedback Forum

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-28-06, 04:18 AM   #1
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,870
Default Put an immediate halt to multiple account users

It's getting annoying having the same people register repeatedly in the P&R forum under different accounts. Are these guys mostly just hiding behind proxies or something?

Whatever the case, I've seen a few hacks for vbulletin which can easily put a stop to this kind of thing:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107566
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119695

A proxy blocker:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96318

And a proxy detector:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=95198
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-06, 12:43 PM   #2
Q
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 7,808
Default Re: Put an immediate halt to multiple account users

I hate the multiple accounts per user, as well. This place doesn't seem like it was designed for games...well, not that kind.

I'm sure that there are some downfalls to using blockers like that, like keeping people out that should be let in.

I guess we'll find out as soon as Mike sees this thread!
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-06, 05:13 PM   #3
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,870
Default Re: Put an immediate halt to multiple account users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlitchford
I hate the multiple accounts per user, as well. This place doesn't seem like it was designed for games...well, not that kind.

I'm sure that there are some downfalls to using blockers like that, like keeping people out that should be let in.

I guess we'll find out as soon as Mike sees this thread!
One of those multi-account blockers includes code for setting an exclusion group. E.g. moderators, certain users who ask for permission, etc.
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-06, 05:21 PM   #4
Bearclaw
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Put an immediate halt to multiple account users

I hate it as well. Who knows, 'teh bigman' could be someone else now...
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-06, 05:57 PM   #5
retsam
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 2,602
Default Re: Put an immediate halt to multiple account users

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
It's getting annoying having the same people register repeatedly in the P&R forum under different accounts. Are these guys mostly just hiding behind proxies or something?

Whatever the case, I've seen a few hacks for vbulletin which can easily put a stop to this kind of thing:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=107566
http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=119695

A proxy blocker:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=96318

And a proxy detector:

http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=95198
i think this is a good idea. i too am getting sick of these guy comming back time and time again only to pull the same **** that they originally got banned for. besides that fact, this would also keep the headache for mikec to a minimum which is always a good thing
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-06, 06:04 PM   #6
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,870
Default Re: Put an immediate halt to multiple account users

I could conceive of a way to get around that multiple account blocking thing, but whoever is attempting to make multiple accounts only gets one time to screw up. After that they are identified and that IP is no good anymore. Then the proxy RBL would mostly prevent them from getting semi-protected proxies from those list servers (be they pay or free) and the proxy detector would make open proxy hunting pretty much useless.

This would root out 99% of the trolls. That other 1% would be the types that have no life and spend their days making trojans for people to download so that they can use them for ddos attacks, etc. There isn't a whole lot you can do about them, but I don't think they would have much interest in a site like this in the first place. If so they would still have to be pretty careful or the multi-account detector would ID them and be able to ban that particular host they are using.

All in all these measures would make it far more difficult to break the rules.
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings


Last edited by Rakeesh; 10-28-06 at 06:28 PM.
Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-06, 06:51 PM   #7
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Put an immediate halt to multiple account users

You got my vote!
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-06, 06:26 AM   #8
rewt
mmm, Beer.. :drooling:
 
rewt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 3,667
Default Re: Put an immediate halt to multiple account users

I can think of very simple ways around this.. Don't even need to use a proxy.. But hey, if it can help (without increasing server load or decreasing security) than I'm all for it.
__________________
My pimp'n rig
Athlon64 Venice 3000+ @ 2.6GHz (4100+) · Win XP Pro x86, Vista Ultimate x64 · eVGA K8-NF41 nForce4 SLi · Corsair XMS 1.5GB PC3200 CAS2/1T · eVGA 2x 6600GT SLi · Leadtek Winfast TV2000 XP Deluxe · Western Digital Caviar SE ½TB RAID 0/1 · PowerLink LPK2-30 400W · LiteON LDW-411S OC to 811S 8x DVD±R/RW/ROM · MicroAdvantage 64MB QuickiDrive · Samsung SyncMaster 931B 19" LCD · Microsoft Optical Wheel Mouse USB · Sony PSXtoUSB Analog Gamepads · Memorex MX2700 Multimedia Keyboard · Lexmark 3200 Color Jetprinter · nForce Network Controller 1Gb/s LAN (Cable ~3Mb/s down) · ΩPioneer Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround Sound
rewt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-06, 11:26 AM   #9
OldOfEvil
Parrots + Xanax =
 
OldOfEvil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Posts: 662
Default Re: Put an immediate halt to multiple account users

How about what Jay & Silent Bob did at the end of their movie and we all know teh Gibster has lots of guns..
__________________
i5 3570k | Sabertooth z77 | GTX 680 (320.49) | 16GB DDR2 | Win7 x64 Pro
OldOfEvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-06, 10:46 PM   #10
einstein_314
w00t!!
 
einstein_314's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 2,905
Default Re: Put an immediate halt to multiple account users

I'm all up for only allowing 1 user account. The only problem I can see is if 2 different people use the same computer to access nvnews on their accounts...For instance, my brother and I, who live together, both frequent nvnews...and both have accounts. Although we have our own computers, from the outside, we come from the same IP. So it would look like somebody had 2 accounts...Unless there is actually some way of distinguishing between computers...or maybe there would have to be exceptions that would have to go through MikeC for approval?
__________________
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.2GHz (9 x 355) w/ Swiftec APOGEE GTX Waterblock|| Asus P5B-Deluxe WiFi Edition
eVGA 8800 GTX Superclocked Edition @ 675/1150 w/ DangerDen 8800GTX Waterblock|| 4x1GB Mushkin XP2 PC2-8500
X-Fi Fatal1ty 64MB || PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750W || Seagate 7200.10 320 GB || Dell 2407WFP
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-06, 02:28 AM   #11
Rakeesh
 
Rakeesh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Sonoran Desert
Posts: 6,870
Default Re: Put an immediate halt to multiple account users

Quote:
Originally Posted by rewt
I can think of very simple ways around this.. Don't even need to use a proxy..
How so? Any other IP masking technique I can think of would break HTTP and wouldn't work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by einstein_314
I'm all up for only allowing 1 user account. The only problem I can see is if 2 different people use the same computer to access nvnews on their accounts...For instance, my brother and I, who live together, both frequent nvnews...and both have accounts. Although we have our own computers, from the outside, we come from the same IP. So it would look like somebody had 2 accounts...Unless there is actually some way of distinguishing between computers...or maybe there would have to be exceptions that would have to go through MikeC for approval?
Yeah that multiple-account detector has code that specifically allows exceptions for specified users.
__________________
Want to listen to audio without your computer going to sleep? Try this.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-06, 08:55 PM   #12
Absolution
AbsoUI
 
Absolution's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 933
Default Re: Put an immediate halt to multiple account users

I run this on my forum and don't have problems. Its a wonderful plugin.
Absolution is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.