Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-01-06, 04:22 PM   #13
tekman54000

Default Re: some freezes and blinking pixels

so the notebook is up o date, do I reinstall the nvidia drivers? and post the new nvidia-bug-report?
tekman54000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 04:32 PM   #14
tekman54000

i joined the new nvidia-bug-report.log and the problems are the same. somebody has another idea?
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (127.1 KB, 91 views)
Old 12-01-06, 05:24 PM   #15
tekman54000

after some manipulations, I've done a screenshot of the desktop with the blinking pixels, and I think the problem is with X11 because a part(not all) blinking pixels are on the screenshot. So it's not a pure rendering problem...I'm desperate, help me please...
Old 12-01-06, 05:40 PM   #16
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

A few other things that you can try:
0) Verify whether this problem persists with a newer (2.6.18.x) kernel.org kernel
1) Verify whether this problem persists if you boot with the noapic or irq=poll kernel parameters
2) Verify whether this problem persists with RenderAccel set to false and/or Composite disabled in xorg.conf

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 09:51 PM   #17
f1f0
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tekman54000
I have my notebook since 2 month, and the constructor doesn't provide new bios. so I don't know where to find them. I'll send them a mail monday to know if one is available. I've seen in another post, that the command: sudo modprobe nvidia NVreg_RegistryDwords="PerfLevelSrc=0x2222" for 7950 GX2 can help to avoid this blinking pixels. But on my laptop it doesn't.
Before someone bashes me for this tweak being harmful to your hardware (if a hardware doesn't work, it's worth risking for an improvement anyway) If you tried it, make sure:
  • 'blacklist nvidia' line has been added to your /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist
  • Disable gdm on boot, you may rename/delete the symlink in /etc/rc2.d (that's the default runlevel), or use a tool such as sysv-rc-conf.
  • With gdm disabled, you'll be given a console instead of a graphical login window. Try to 'modprobe nvidia NVreg...' then 'startx' to see if it works.
f1f0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-06, 03:48 AM   #18
tekman54000

i've seen I ve some errors with noapic and acpi=off. I just want signal that when X freezes, CPU load is 100% and when it unfreeze cpu load becomes normal.I send the errors found in dmesg
Old 12-03-06, 11:47 AM   #19
tekman54000

I'd add that every CPU overload, the wireless connection broke down...may be a material icompatibility? I'll post today the new nvidia-bug-request.
Old 01-12-07, 07:47 PM   #20
hsyl20

Hi.

Tekman54000, I've got exactly the same problem as yours (see http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=80630 ). I have a Keynux Ymax DX with an Intel Core Duo and a Geforce 7900 Go too. I disabled ACPI because the acpi log file grew until it reached more than 2 Gb...

The trick you mention (with the PerfLevelSrc=0x2222) works with the 9631 version of the Nvidia driver (and maybe some higher versions). With the newest versions, it doesn't work anymore. I stay with the 9631 but for how long?

I would like to ask Nvidia who is responsible for these problems to occur (Nvidia, the bios manufacturer or the laptop manufacturer)? What exactly does the PerfLevelSrc option? NetIIama wrote "it seems like the your system needs special GPU tuning to function properly": for which (good) reason a bios or laptop manufacturer has to alter an Nvidia card (especially if it implies a tweaked driver installation)?

If the laptop manufacturer is guilty, I plan to ask for the replacement of the card by the same model or by another Nvidia model (equivalent or better) which is not affected by these problems. If it can't be done, i will return them this laptop.

If they are not cooperative, I think I'll have to sue them because there is a hidden defect ("vice caché" in French (see http://www.finances.gouv.fr/DGCCRF/0...escaches.htm)), and misleading publicity ("publicité mensongère" in french) because they claim to have Linux compatible laptops...

Last edited by hsyl20; 01-13-07 at 06:09 PM.
hsyl20 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-07, 03:34 PM   #21
ofourdan

I'm having the same issues with a Dell M1710 with GeForce Go 7950 GTX, so I think the problem is with the nVidia drivers.

I've posted originally on a different thread. The kernel crashed, but not in the nVidia driver, but in some other module.

Still, I've been able to reproduce the same issue with other similar laptops on Debian Etch with the Debian stock kernel without iwp3945 being loaded, so the issue seems to be with the nVidia driver, it's not a hardware issue nor a problem with other modules.
ofourdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 04:56 PM   #22
hsyl20

Can you tell us which Bios you have? Is it the Phoenix Trusted Core?

Thanks
hsyl20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-07, 05:25 PM   #23
ofourdan

Nope, it's not the same laptop, mine is a Dell, so it's a Dell BIOS
ofourdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-07, 03:08 PM   #24
tekman54000

Hi everybody,

sorry but i was in my partials exams (héhé some of us works ) so I've read your post and I've the Clevo's BIOS v. 1.00.04 i'think it was. I don't think this is KEYNUX the problem but really the drivers... Lot's of people have artefacts and can't activate the direct rendering... I understand you when you said it's a" vice caché et oui jsuis français lol" but I think we can contact keynunx to give us a proper driver if it's possible. Did you contact them this next days?

I'm really happy because I see i'm not the only one to have problems with this laptop @ 2800€ this is just inadmissible...

See you later... Do you have a mail so we can discuss of our problems more precisely on msn or some other messenger. If yes, give me your adress in Privave message.

TeK