Default ATI Radeon 9250 vs Nvidia 5200

First, here is my system (relevent specs only):

- HP Pavilion 514n
- 2.2 Ghz Celeron Processor
- 1 GB RAM
- Internal Intel 845GL chipset
- 3 PCI expansion slots
- 17 inch ViewSonic VA800 monitor
- Operating system is Windows XP (or in another bootable partition, Fedora Core Linux)

Without further modification the 845GL chipset handles all the video for the system as well as performing a number of other tasks, supposedly simultaneously.

Last year about this time (late November) I decided to upgrade the video. My local Circuit City installed an ATI Radeon 9250 for me. It was great. I could get higher resolutions than what was available from the 845GL alone (I prefer to work with a 1280x1024 screen). Scrolling down long pages while browsing the Internet was quick and snappy. And I could play or try out games I could not even run before.

But two weeks ago the ATI card stopped working. The video went all haywire. And, for whatever reason, the PC refused to install ATI drivers, new or old.

I'm a physically disabled person. Packing up the PC and hauling it back to Circuit City or Best Buy myself is not an option (visiting out of town relatives helped me haul the PC off to Circuit City for last year's upgrade). So I called one of those we-come-to-your-house-to-fix-your-PC outfits. It cost me $129 to have the PC's video returned to reliance on the 845GL chipset ($30 for the home visit, $99 for a portion of an hour's work). The technician also could not get any ATI drivers to load. He said it was a common and well-known problem.

After some discussion the technician recommended an Nvidia card. He estimated a new card would cost $150 to $200. He would also have to charge me another $129 for coming to the house and installing the new card. An estimated total of $279 to $329.

I ended up not doing more business with that outfit. But did take the advice of acquiring an Nvidia card. After checking out Circuit City's and Best Buy's websites it turned out the only Nvidia card I could find which would work with my HP's old-style PCI slots was an Nvidia Geforce 5200. Which I acquired at my local Best Buy for $82.

Unfortunately, this card is clearly inferior to my previous ATI card. Since the Nvidia is older technology, I installed the newest drivers. I also used the Windows XP Device Manager to disable the HP's built-in Intel graphics controller.

The Nvidia card seems to work ok for ordinary screen reading stuff (like wordprocessing or internet browsing), though pages scroll down in an annoying wavy manner; not at all like with the ATI card. It does give me a good 1280 x 1024 resolution. But there are problems:

- The Windows Device Manager clearly lists the card, but says the card will not start.
- Long pages viewed on the Internet scroll up or down in a slow, wavy manner.
- The Nvidia Control Panel is nowhere to be found.
- Games I was able to play with the ATI card (Diablo II, Civilization IV, and Age of Empires III Demo) will not run. One reports the 256 MB card has no RAM.

And the three manufacturers involved are absolutely no help.

Nvidia allows you to submit questions, but makes it clear on its website it will only answer those it deems worthy of their attention. When and if they feel like it.

Even if you register with HP so you can send them an e-mail they repeatedly loose your information, forget who you are, ask you again to register, and ask you if you want information about a totally different computer model. I could not get their online chat service to work with either Firefox or IE7.

And PNY.com, distributors of the 5200, provide no means to submit questions. All three eagerly offer up totally useless FAQs which don't go near my problems.

I don't know about you, but I won't be buying any more Nvidia cards or systems containing Nvidia cards. I do plan to buy a new PC with my expected March income tax return. But it won't be an HP and it will likely contain an ATI video card.
Tim_Olaguna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-06, 04:56 PM   #2
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: ATI Radeon 9250 vs Nvidia 5200

Actually, pound for pound, the NVIDIA card is more advanced technologically than the Radeon you had. But most of that tech is useless because the 5200 is far too slow to be of any use for it...but that's neither here nor there.

Who installed the card for you? Whenever you replace an item such as a graphics card, especially one from a completely different chipset maker, you need to make sure your system is completely free of driver files and registry entries from the previous card. You can do that by using a program called Driver Cleaner or by formatting your hard drive and reinstalling Windows. From the problem you describe, it sounds like there is a software conflict somewhere. Unfortunately you may be too far gone for a simple run of Driver Cleaner, and I would strongly advise you to back up your important system files and either reinstall Windows from scratch, or use the restore discs that came with your PC. I would also recommend you go to the driver archive on NVIDIA's Web site and download a previous version of the Forceware drivers. Older cards such as the 5200 aren't well supported in the latest drivers, so using an older one may help you. Finally, don't ever buy another PNY card. They aren't very good quality, and their support is terrible. Around here, we recommend BFG Technologies or eVGA. Good luck.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-06, 06:03 PM   #3
Tim_Olaguna

Thumbs up Sometimes A Good Way To Fix A PC Is To Go To Bed

While falling off to sleep last night an idea occurred to me; why not try restoring the PC to a previous state before I started having problems?

This morning I tried that first thing. I restored the PC to the state it was in on November 4. And it worked.

- Now my Nvidia supported graphics are sharp and snappy.
- Pages appear and scroll instantly or as expected.
- And my favorite games are working again!

Restoring to an earlier point evidently restored a Microsoft signed Nvidia driver I had apparently erased when trying to resolve my ATI card problems. The newer (and older) drivers I tried evidently won't work with my HP Pavilion 514n system.

So now I humbly take back all the bad things I said about Nvidia. If I get a new PC with my expected tax returns it will now likely include a shiny new Nvidia card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturnotaku
Finally, don't ever buy another PNY card. They aren't very good quality, and their support is terrible. Around here, we recommend BFG Technologies or eVGA. Good luck.
Thank you for that very good advice. I shall observe it.
Old 11-22-06, 10:19 PM   #4
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Glad to see you're back up and running. Just so you know, the standard Microsoft drivers don't have any support for games that run OpenGL (Doom 3, et al). If you should happen to need it, you're going to have to install drivers, and your best bet would be to go through NVIDIA's driver archive (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html) and download one of the Forceware 77.xx or 71.xx sets.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-06, 12:28 PM   #5
Tim_Olaguna

Quote:
Glad to see you're back up and running. Just so you know, the standard Microsoft drivers don't have any support for games that run OpenGL (Doom 3, et al). If you should happen to need it, you're going to have to install drivers, and your best bet would be to go through NVIDIA's driver archive (http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp-2k_archive.html) and download one of the Forceware 77.xx or 71.xx sets.
Oh, ok. Thanks for that information.
Old 11-23-06, 01:48 PM   #6
Tim_Olaguna

Quote:
Taking your advice, I located, downloaded, and installed the 77.77 update. It appears to be working great! Thank you again.
Old 11-29-06, 02:17 PM   #7
simonuk

Below is a review of the ATI Radeon 9200 and Nvidia Geforce 5200, the 9250 is a bit faster than a regular 9200 so the 9250 should offer the same performance as the Geforce 5200:-

QUOTE "The Sapphire Radeon 9200 offers excellent anisotropic filtering performance and image quality. The video card was very stable and there are no problems to report. Unfortunately the Sapphire Radeon 9200 suffers from a general lack of power, it's performance with certain games is lacking especially if you enable fsaa. It's support for 8x Agp offers no real performance increase and is worthless right now. It's performance in general is closer to the Gainward Geforce4 MX440 than the latest budget video card from nvidia the XFX Geforce FX 5200."

http://www.ultimatehardware.net/034.htm
simonuk is offline   Reply With Quote