Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-08-07, 05:57 AM   #49
Dorowan

Default Re: switch from X to any tty freezes the macine

Similar problem here with a Sony Vaio S4m and a Geforce Go 6200. NVidia drivers later 9631 give very strange images when switching to console. Same problem on FC6 and Ubuntu Feisty (siwtched from Fedora to Ubuntu 'cause I blamed Fedora for this problem). At the moment I cannot use the regular Ubuntu modules anymore and have to launch the nvidia installation script on every kernel update.
Dorowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-07, 01:16 PM   #50
BitJam

I have the same freeze on logout problem here. I'm using gentoo-sources-2.6.19-r5 on an ASUS m2npv-vm motherboard with the Nvidia 6150 chip set.

I've isolated the problem to the CONFIG_FB_SPLASH kernel parameter. I'm using vesafb and that works fine as long as I don't add the splash. If I add the splash parameter then my computer consistently locks up when I try to log out of X/KDE.

Another strange thing I noticed is that using Twinview seems to make the problem worse. I was able to use a quiet bootsplash/gensplash just fine before getting a 2nd monitor. It was only after I started using twinview that I noticed that using bootsplash/gensplash would cause my system to freeze when logging out of X/KDE.
BitJam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-07, 08:53 AM   #51
mchiareli

and the problem continues with the ubuntu feisty...
mchiareli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 03:11 AM   #52
gcostes

Unhappy Re: switch from X to any tty freezes the macine

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchiareli
and the problem continues with the ubuntu feisty...
Yes the only way I've been able to solve the problem is to downgrade the nvidia driver to version 9631 ... which doesn't support the new GeForce 8800 serie ... Feisty now integrates the 9755 nvidia-glx driver by default!
gcostes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 09:37 AM   #53
gabriele75

as I can see beta driver 100.14.3 does not fix the problem...

http://www.gabrielepigozzo.net
gabriele75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 10:46 AM   #54
BrianzaMan
Dragon Flame

exactly same problem as gcostes . (The image you posted shows exactly what I get with the screen garbled , bright and the ghost image of the X screen slowly disappearing)

Debian Linux 4.0 etch Kernel 2.6.18 (shipped with distro) drivers 9755 (and also 100.14.03) have the same problem , with a Geforce GO 6200 TurboCache (Many have this problem with this card I see, probably is specific to this chipset) on a Sony Vaio SM4/S .

If I switch back to the drivers shipped with Debian (1.0-8776) then everything is Ok

Plz solve this annoying problem

PS= this also happens on FreeBSD too.

Bye

Marcello
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (91.3 KB, 198 views)
BrianzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-07, 04:21 AM   #55
gianpaoloc

Same problem here, with a Vaio S3XP.

By reading all the nvidia thread I came to the conclusion that it has to do with the VAIO bios. Others, with non-sony machines, experienced similar problems but not exactly the same reported here by gcostes, chubuntu, gabriele75, Dorowan, and BrianzaMan, who all have in common the fact of owning a Vaio SXX machine. We do not experience any freeze but only strange "moving colors" when exiting X or switching back to a console via ctrl-alt-Fx. The machine is perfectly alive and everything works fine when you return in X.

As a further sign that it is a Vaio specific problem there is the fact that all and only the users mentioned above (including me), who own these notebooks, found the same solution to their problem: switching back to the 9631 version of the nvidia drivers. Unfortunately, the 9631 drivers are sometimes incompatible with the latest distributions.

Dear NVIDIA guys, any chance you fix this problem by porting the mechanisms you used in 9631 to the newest drivers? You will make us VERY happy :-)

Thanks a lot
Gianpaolo
gianpaoloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-07, 11:01 AM   #56
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I have no VAIO systems here, and am not able to reproduce this problem. Without a means of reproducing it, there isn't any means of investigating it further.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-07, 05:26 PM   #57
weak-ling

I've got the same problem (96xx or lower works, 97xx or higher causes defunct console grafics, system continues to work when I switch back) and I'm not using a VAIO but a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo M3438G (GF 6800 Go).
weak-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-07, 03:36 PM   #58
gianpaoloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I have no VAIO systems here, and am not able to reproduce this problem. Without a means of reproducing it, there isn't any means of investigating it further.
Thanks a lot for replying. I got your problem. I am a programmer and I totally understand your point. At the same time I have a vaio here and I am interested in solving this bug. Is there any way I can help you (apart from sending my laptop? :-)

In case you need, please do not hesitate to contact me directly at:
<putmyusernamehere> [at] gmail [dot] com

Thanks
Gianpaolo
gianpaoloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-07, 01:03 PM   #59
BrianzaMan
Dragon Flame

Quote:
Originally Posted by gianpaoloc
Same problem here, with a Vaio S3XP.

By reading all the nvidia thread I came to the conclusion that it has to do with the VAIO bios. Others, with non-sony machines, experienced similar problems but not exactly the same reported here by gcostes, chubuntu, gabriele75, Dorowan, and BrianzaMan, who all have in common the fact of owning a Vaio SXX machine. We do not experience any freeze but only strange "moving colors" when exiting X or switching back to a console via ctrl-alt-Fx. The machine is perfectly alive and everything works fine when you return in X.

As a further sign that it is a Vaio specific problem there is the fact that all and only the users mentioned above (including me), who own these notebooks, found the same solution to their problem: switching back to the 9631 version of the nvidia drivers. Unfortunately, the 9631 drivers are sometimes incompatible with the latest distributions.

Dear NVIDIA guys, any chance you fix this problem by porting the mechanisms you used in 9631 to the newest drivers? You will make us VERY happy :-)

Thanks a lot
Gianpaolo
On VAIO machines the system doesn't freeze. Switching back to X (with Alt+F7 on my debian machine) gets the screen back, but the ttys are corrupted (as in gcostes image)

Bye

Marcello
BrianzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-07, 08:08 PM   #60
knefas

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...hlight=console

I am pretty sure we are talking about the same thing.
knefas is offline   Reply With Quote