Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-27-07, 04:11 AM   #73
xplong

Thumbs up Solution beryl & compiz: switch from X to any tty freezes the macine

This problem is the same for me, but only if I active the Compiz or Beryl effects.

To fix this error I change a parameter in the beryl administrator: Opening Beryl Settings Manager, selecting General Options in the left menu, and unchecking Sync to VBlank (which was checked by default).

This info is from http://symbolik.wordpress.com/2007/0...mandriva-2007/ and works for me in Ubutu Feisty

Thanks and we hope it can fix in the next patch
xplong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 01:37 AM   #74
Metalwarrior

Default Re: Solution beryl & compiz: switch from X to any tty freezes the macine

Quote:
Originally Posted by xplong
This problem is the same for me, but only if I active the Compiz or Beryl effects.

To fix this error I change a parameter in the beryl administrator: Opening Beryl Settings Manager, selecting General Options in the left menu, and unchecking Sync to VBlank (which was checked by default).

This info is from http://symbolik.wordpress.com/2007/0...mandriva-2007/ and works for me in Ubutu Feisty

Thanks and we hope it can fix in the next patch
I don't think it's really the same problem, since it should have nothing to do with window/compositing managers.. in fact I can reproduce the problem even if only gdm has been started and then switching to a console (ex VT1).. BTW, my Sync to VBlank is not set.. Sync to VBlank is also disabled in Nvidia Settings for me..
Metalwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 11:49 AM   #75
pjv

Default Re: switch from X to any tty freezes the macine

Has a bug already been filed for this with nvidia?
pjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-07, 06:18 PM   #76
ctheo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv
Has a bug already been filed for this with nvidia?
The problem is that nvidia hackers haven't reproduced this bug so far. They need the hardware to fix it :/
ctheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 07:57 AM   #77
pjv

There is something similar in the release info of the latest driver (.11), is this related or not?

Quote:
* Fixed console restore problems in several different configurations:
o VESA console
o Notebook LCD displays
Old 08-16-07, 08:10 AM   #78
ctheo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv
There is something similar in the release info of the latest driver (.11), is this related or not?
notice the "console restore" - a bit different from never seeing console again after startx
ctheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-07, 10:58 AM   #79
knefas

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv
Even if it is related it doesn't solve.
knefas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-07, 08:12 PM   #80
trick

Hi everyone. I am also having this problem. I'm setting up a media center unit, and aesthetics are an important part of it. After telling it to power off, the framebuffer splash is supposed to re-appear, but instead all I get is garbled sprites. Same thing happens when I return to a vt from the X server.

I'm running a custom-built 64-bit system under Gentoo, and the latest nvidia drivers. I'm experienced with customizing kernels, and have only the 'vesafb' framebuffer enabled. I'm also using a Gigabyte nvidia 7300 GT. My kernel version is 2.6.22-r2 (gentoo-sources).

I'd like to help in any way possible. This is a very annoying problem for me, and, I'm sure, many others. It makes it impossible to test and fix my X server without having to reboot each time. As suggested in the posts, I tried previous driver versions, including the 9755 version, with no success. I can't offer any log files at the moment, though, since I'm not near the unit.

Hardware:
AMD 3800+ 64bit 2GHz processor
Abit NF-M2 nView motherboard (Latest BIOS revision)
1GiB RAM
Gigabyte nvidia 7300GT

Software:
Gentoo
2.6.22-r2 kernel
old and latest nvidia AMD64 drivers
vesafb framebuffer driver
trick is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-07, 03:51 AM   #81
Metalwarrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctheo
The problem is that nvidia hackers haven't reproduced this bug so far. They need the hardware to fix it :/
It must be a really-difficult-to-solve problem if nvidia developers still did not solve it or at least told us "we can't solve it"... I don't believe that NVidia hackers do not have the necessary hardware...
Metalwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 06:43 PM   #82
trick

Arrow Re: switch from X to any tty freezes the macine

Hi,
I think I have found the solution. It will be difficult, though, for anyone unaccustomed to configuring/compiling their kernel.
The problem lies in the outdated vesafb driver that distros continue to use for framebuffer and bootsplash images. I changed my framebuffer driver to the new uvesafb driver. Now, vt switching to and from X works like a charm!

There are two new generic vesa drivers to try. For anyone using an x86 (not 64 bit), try the vesafb-tng driver. It's relatively easier to set up than the uvesafb approach. Note that patching your kernel source will be required.
Instructions and files are here:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/vesafb-tng/

For those of you with 64bit processors, or just want to use this instead, you can use uvesafb, made by the same developer as the vesafb-tng project above. I urge you to follow the instructions to the letter for this one, as it is a more complex setup. Kernel source patching will also be required for this one.
Instructions and files are here:
http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/

For anyone else that doesn't think they can follow these instructions, or are unwilling to compile a new kernel, write to the developers of your distro. Ask them to include either of the above vesa drivers in their next release as the default vesa drivers, or to offer a choice of kernels.

Good luck
trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 06:17 AM   #83
tiftof

Trick,

I want to try out you solution. The patch is included in the mm patch for the 2.6.23 kernel. I know how to compile that on ubuntu. But it seems that the uvesafb module needs v86d. I have no idea how to do that in ubuntu. I can't find any info. You know how perhaps?

thanks
tiftof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 09:02 AM   #84
pjv

I'm trying here too.

Don't you just need the v86d tarball on http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/ ?

I didn't understand trick's post completely though. Getting vesafb-tng to work has been the whole point for me all this time. I know how to do these things but just ran into this bug. By what I gather from trick's post it seems the kernel or some of the *vesafb* patches have been fixed.

I have tried vesafb and vesafb-tng again with gentoo-sources-2.6.22-r5 which include the patches already (that must be >=2.6.22.2 vanilla). Both of them failed. Am going to try the (experimental) uvesafb now by patching the kernel myself. More in a minute...