Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-22-07, 10:05 AM   #85
tiftof

Default Re: switch from X to any tty freezes the macine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjv
I'm trying here too.

Don't you just need the v86d tarball on http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/uvesafb/ ?
hmmm, no compiling involved? will give it a go later today

edit: tried it already. Compiling of v86d is necessary. I'm getting an error that no binary for v86d is found:

File /sbin/v86d could not be located
line 13
make[2]: *** [usr/initramfs_data.cpio.gz] Error 255
make[1]: *** [usr] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.6.22'
make: *** [debian/stamp-build-kernel] Error 2

Haven't had any luck trying to compiling it yet.
tiftof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 11:10 AM   #86
trick

Hi, regarding vesafb-tng, I havn't tested if it solves the problem because I'm using an amd64, while vesafb-tng only works on 32bit Intel compatible processors.

When you're installing v86d, the script also installs an initrd image with it, that contains the binary. While browsing the make menuconfig of the kernel, there should be a place early in the menu to specify an initrd image. Even if you already have an initrd image in your boot directory, add the v86d initrd image path to the parameter.

The problem might be the klibc library. It's kinda hard to explain the directions to non-gentoo users. After making the kernel the first time around, you might have to compile your own klibc library and make a binary install package for your distro (man checkinstall), then install the recently compiled package with your package manager.

In regards to the experimental nature of uvesafb, it's being added to the Gentoo portage tree for the 2.6.23 kernel, so it seems it's hit a stable phase, and I'm sure they'll welcome any bug reports you want to make.

Let me know if any of this works for you.

PS. Sorry pjb if the vesafb-tng driver didn't work for you. As I mentioned, I couldn't test that one, but I read that it solved problems for some people, so I decided to mention it.
trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 11:52 AM   #87
pjv

Ok thx trick, I get it now, you're on 64bit and thus couldn't use vesafb-tng.

The uvesafb doesn't solve it either here. I'm on gentoo too, so why can't I reproduce it...? Let's compare some uvesafb stuff, as I'm new to that particular fb flavour and I'm not sure it's actually working (I'm not getting high console resolution and I haven't yet figure out if I could combine the v86d initramfs with the initramfs I use for gensplash):

This is my grub cmdline:
Code:
kernel (hd0,4)/bzImage-2.6.22-gentoo-r5-mykernelconfig036 root=/dev/sda6 video=uvesafb:ywrap,mtrr:3,1440x900-32@60 splash=silent,theme:wave quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1 resume=swap:/dev/sda7 resume2=swap:/dev/sda7 pmdisk=/dev/sda7 rw
initrd /boot/initrd-1440x900-wave+suspend2
Dmesg gives me this:
Code:
uvesafb: NVIDIA Corporation, G86 Board - e416h01 , Chip Rev   , OEM: NVIDIA, VBE v3.0
uvesafb: protected mode interface info at c000:b230
uvesafb: pmi: set display start = c00cb293, set palette = c00cb2ee
uvesafb: pmi: ports = 3b4 3b5 3ba 3c0 3c1 3c4 3c5 3c6 3c7 3c8 3c9 3cc 3ce 3cf 3d0 3d1 3d2 3d3 3d4 3d5 3da 
uvesafb: VBIOS/hardware doesn't support DDC transfers
uvesafb: no monitor limits have been set, default refresh rate will be used
uvesafb: scrolling: ywrap using protected mode interface, yres_virtual=4050
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80x30
uvesafb: framebuffer at 0xfb000000, mapped to 0xf8880000, using 10125k, total 14336k
fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device
I am seeing the console change to something more wide (I have a widescreen) a few seconds after startup, but it's 640x480 more or less. The 80x30 did change with different resolutions on the cmdline.

I disabled the vesafb and vesafb-tng drivers in my kernel. I have also tried without the initrd line, without splash=..., without quiet, with different resolutions/color bits/refresh rates , etc. And ofcourse with all of these settings I still see a grey work of art when switching tty's.
pjv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 02:14 PM   #88
pjv

Still cannot reproduce your results, trick. My uvesafb is showing a high resolution in the mean time (had to set refresh rate from @60 to @59 for some reason, yes this is a vesa supported mode with 1440x900:32).

I could still be missing something or doing something differently. If it's not too much trouble could we narrow down our differences, trick? Things like X, nvidia-drivers, kernel, kernel patches (*vesafb*, fbsplash), v86d,... versions. Also your cmdline and relevant dmesg piece. Oh, and what was your problem exactly (as symptoms grey lines??)?

Thx trick.
Old 08-22-07, 09:03 PM   #89
trick

OK, where to begin. My system in question is a very specialized MythTV box. For the actual hardware I'm using, go back to my first post. I'm using the MythTV splash screen included with the masked bootsplash package. Because the splash screen only has an 800x600 resolution, I'm operating the framebuffer at 800x600, at 32 bit depth. Frequency doesn't apply because I'm using a CRT HDTV set via my graphic card's component out. I am realizing right now that this isn't a terribly good example of a successful configuration, since my setup is somewhat specialized.

The symptoms I experienced was that once I issued the command to start xorg, whether via startx or '/etc/init.d/xdm start', I could no longer see my framebuffer if I switched back to a virtual terminal. Instead I would see sprites (rectangular placeholders for console text) of different color blinking in an enlarged resolution. I could still issue commands, though.

Now, switching between xorg and framebuffer works no matter what resolution xorg is in. I also just realized that the nvidia driver I'm using, provided by gentoo, is the next-to-latest driver, not latest.

You can use both the gensplash initramfs with the v86d initramfs. I am. the v86d initrd is compiled into your kernel during kernel 'make' (if you told it where the file is during the menuconfig phase). So you're free to point your initrd line in your boot config to the gensplash initramfs.

I'm also not using the suspend2 patch. It may not make a difference, but I do know that it modifies your framebuffer to allow the splash to appear during a hibernation command.

For me, the instant I installed uvesafb, everything worked 'out of the box'.

By-the-by, something I just remembered. If you have the vesafb-tng patch included with your kernel, you'll have to remove it before you patch it with uvesafb. The two cannot exist simultaneously in the source. Just download the vesafb-tng patch that matches the patch version in the kernel source, and issue a 'patch -R' etc. command.

The version v86d I'm using is the latest I can unmask from portage.

My boot prompt is as follows:
Code:
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.22-gentoo-r2-HTPC root=/dev/sda3 video=uvesafb:800x600-32,mtrr:3 splash=silent,fadein,theme:MythTV quiet CONSOLE=/dev/tty1
initrd /initramfs.img
and my dmesg log says:
Code:
uvesafb: NVIDIA Corporation, G73 Board - p345h0  , Chip Rev   , OEM: NVIDIA, VBE v3.0
uvesafb: VBIOS/hardware doesn't support DDC transfers
uvesafb: no monitor limits have been set, default refresh rate will be used
uvesafb: scrolling: redraw
Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 100x37
fbsplash: console 0 using theme 'MythTV'
fbsplash: switched splash state to 'on' on console 0
uvesafb: framebuffer at 0xd0000000, mapped to 0xffffc20004680000, using 6144k, total 262144k
fb0: VESA VGA frame buffer device
(Also because I am using 64bit, I have to use redraw instead of ywrap)

And finally, below is my nvidia-bug-report.log
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (123.5 KB, 215 views)
Old 08-23-07, 07:24 AM   #90
pjv

I'll have to give up. Nothing seems to help. My uvesafb is actually working apart from this problem so that's not it.

My symptoms are a little different too: Once I've started X (in any way, but only with the nvidia binaries), I cannot do Ctrl+Alt+Fx or even logout. As soon as X closes (after a short black pause) the screen shows horizontal grey lines at random different intervals. The are not very contrasted (almost like normal terminal text). Almost like spectroscopic linepatterns. They are on a background of similar but slightly coloured and vertical lines. In ten seconds time all the lines slightly fade out to just a blank illuminated screen (a little bit more on the edges). Regular garbage ;-) I can still type and reboot by login in and typing reboot. X even doesn't succeed in starting itself a second time (when logging out to gdm). Not sure what to make of this. Enough guessing already. Only thing I can do for now is disable the framebuffer, which works too (but is ugly ofcourse).

Thanks anyway
Old 08-23-07, 12:37 PM   #91
trick

Sorry it didn't work for you pjb. This problem is definitely solved on a case-by-case basis. For instance, years ago, I STILL had this problem on another machine. The only solution for me was to use old nvidia drivers. So we each seem to suffer the same symptoms, but they are solved in different ways for many of us. I think that nvidia is obliged to end this problem once and for all, whether it is to go back to the drawing board on their drivers, or release a custom framebuffer driver for their hardware.
Old 08-24-07, 11:41 AM   #92
Lindroid

Just compiled NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9639 driver.
Console still unusable after switching from X by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Fn (blinking squares only).
I've found some conditions that caused this problem.
So, if configured only one X-server, everything works fine. But my GeForce4Ti4000-based card have TV-out and I like to run some media on TV while working with main DFP-monitor. The problem appears if xorg.conf configured to start two X-servers, one for monitor and the second for TV. (!!! Attention: keyword - TV, not simply "second monitor")
Some forums recommend to set option:
Code:
Option "ConnectedMonitor" "CRT"
Yes, that's true, this option solves problem, but particularly. It's possible to revert to console, but I can't see signal on TV. With this option X-server, configured for TV, doesn't work.
Turning framebuffer off solves the problem. But I need fb, I'm often working without need to start X and 80x25 mode is ugly. I still need second X-server on TV to see sometimes some media, to run MythTV etc...
So, framebuffer + dual monitor (TV) = problem
Is there any solution? Thx
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.tar.bz2 (20.0 KB, 161 views)
Lindroid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-07, 05:39 PM   #93
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

100.14.19 has been released. See the forum sticky posts for more information.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-07, 06:35 PM   #94
knefas

I am afraid .19 doesn't fix this issue for me.

I attach again the bug report, hoping that it'll be useful.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (68.5 KB, 183 views)
knefas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-07, 09:00 PM   #95
weak-ling

Not fixed.
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 nvidia-bug-report.log.bz2 (32.5 KB, 172 views)
weak-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-07, 06:26 PM   #96
ctheo

since our hardware is very similar in many aspects - can you guys run latest compiz fusion without memory leak? (with 100.14.19 driver)
ctheo is offline   Reply With Quote