Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-02-07, 06:13 PM   #1
resal

Default X server does start but with wrong refresh rate

Hi guys

I have encountered this problem during installation of nvidia driver. I try to explain how the problem started clearly. (I googled a lot but with no success):

1) My graphics card is MX4000 which is relatively old, but I have successfully installed nvidia 9631 driver before on SUSE 10.1 and kubuntu 6.10 and was able to run beryl nearly well before (only water pluggin didn't work).

2) I am trying to install 9631 or 9629 driver on a new kubuntu 6.10 in same computer (which I was able to before).

3) I was started by installing 9746 driver, I installed kernel headers and xorg.dev packages first and then the nvidia driver. After X restarted It crashed. So I uninstalled the driver and then did a reinstall. During the reinstall, it warned me that my graphics card is supported only with 96xx drivers not 97xx ones.

4) I downloaded 9631 driver and tried to install it. All things went fine, X server started following startx and the kdm was ok. The problem is when it enters KDE, the resolution starts with 1024X768 (which is the default resolution for my monitor) but with a low refresh rate: 43 instead of 85.

5) I went to "Display" part of "System Setteings", but it didn't work at all. Then I started nvidia-settings, and in its "X server display configuration" section, I chose the right refresh rate and then pushed "apply". Then it runs the right refresh rate and now it is ok. I saved this new configuration file as xorg.con. This xorg.conf file (which nvidia -settings produces) is:

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder3) Wed Nov 1 19:48:08 PST 2006

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
RgbPath "/usr/lib/X11/rgb"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "dbe"
Load "extmod"
Load "type1"
Load "freetype"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/psaux"
Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
# generated from default
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "LG FLATRON 775FT"
HorizSync 30.0 - 70.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 160.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce4 MX 4000"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "metamodes" "1024x768_85 +0+0; 1280x1024 +0+0; 1024x768 +0+0; 832x624 +0+0; 800x600 +0+0; 720x400 +0+0; 640x480 +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

But again when the X server restarts, the problem persists : wrong display refresh rate.

6) I am able to run beryl 1.99 and some of its pluggins (like cube,..) but: the beryl splash screen and the window decorations does not appear. When running beryl-manager it says that device not found....

7) I attached the nvidia-bug-report log.

8) I think there is some small trick in configuring xorg.conf or when installing nvidia driver. Because almost all things are ok. What is this tweak?

Thank you very much
Waiting for help....
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (109.8 KB, 134 views)
resal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 06:53 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: X server does start but with wrong refresh rate

According to your bug report, X is starting at 1280x1024@70, and then something outside the X server is requesting a mode change to 1024x768_87i (which is an interlaced 87Hz, which is where your 43Hz refresh is coming from). There's nothing in your bug report to suggest that this is a driver bug. Something on your system is requesting the 1024x768_87i mode.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 07:35 PM   #3
resal

Thank you netllama

As you said, this is not a driver bug (as I said i installed it before very well).

I am not an expert but I can find my way if I find a starting point. So can you give me some clue of where I should start for diagnosis or what I should do now? I can submit any information that may be helpful.

Thanks again.
Old 02-02-07, 08:33 PM   #4
MNKyDeth

Send a message via AIM to MNKyDeth

I find sometimes this happens aswell, but the refresh is reported by the nvidia-settings incorrectly. How I test this is, run any openGL game and make sure to set vsync to on.

When running the game the frames will be capped to your actual refresh rate. If the game is getting 85fps then your refresh is 85fps no matter what the nvidia-settings dialog tells you.

Also, typically with and interlaced setting as mentioned above, the screen typically looks like it is rendering every other line on your monitor so fonts and the desktop generally look messed up and somewhat blurry.

A good free game is Savage: The Battle for Newerth to try out the setting, you may need to go with a lower end game to actually test with though. www.s2games.com click on the appropriate link at the top of there site and then go to there download section.

If you find that you are truely stuck at a refresh rate other than what it is suppose to be please let us know.
MNKyDeth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 09:39 PM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

resal, I'd guess that your window manager or a game is changing the mode (and its corresponding refresh rate). Does this problem exist for multiple users on the system?
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-07, 11:31 PM   #6
resal

Thank you MNKyDeth and netllama very much.

Indeed I had the problem even in the game or in other users accounts. I found that kubuntu "system settings" might corrupt or overwrite the xconfig options. (kdm is ok but when I enter kde, every thing is messed up: low resoltution,blur,...). I read somewhere that the problem may be from linux-restricted-9746 package(which I first installed during 9746 driver installation) that does not support MX4000. Then I passed through several driver install-reinstall processes but again with no success. Now I am downloading gnome and will test it. I will also test the 9631 driver with a new SUSE 10.2 installation and compare the results.

I will tell you what I will find.
Thank you very much.

[ps: Although MX4000 is mentioned in the list of supported cards by 9746, but during installation it says that it is unsupported. So this list may need an update.]

Last edited by resal; 02-03-07 at 12:00 AM.
Old 02-03-07, 04:41 AM   #7
resal

Now what I came up with...

I could install driver and compile beryl like a charm in suse 10.2. But at the other hand, no success with kubuntu. however, I think my suse box can satisfy my curiosity enough for beryl new animations so I give up installing the driver in kubuntu...

Thank you guys for your wish to help.
Old 02-04-07, 01:14 AM   #8
tajin

I am also having a problem with my nvidia GeForce Mx440 video card, at command:

# nvidia-settings

Gives the following error:
ERROR: Cannot open display 'localhost.localdomain:0.0'.

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute DigitalVibrance specified on line 19 of
configuration file '/home/tajin/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display
connection).

ERROR: Unable to assign attribute SyncToVBlank specified on line 20 of
configuration file '/home/tajin/.nvidia-settings-rc' (no Display
connection).
error continues for no display connection.

My output for xorg.conf file is:
# generated from data in "/etc/sysconfig/keyboard"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
# HorizSync source: edid, VertRefresh source: edid
Identifier "Monitor0"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "Hansol 720ED"
HorizSync 30.0 - 72.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 160.0
Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Videocard0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce4 MX 440"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "Videocard0"
Monitor "Monitor0"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "metamodes" "1024x768_75 +0+0; 1024x768 +0+0; 800x600 +0+0; 640x480 +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

I don't know how to change the display name from-- localhost.localdomain to Screen 0 or Display? what's is indicated in the xorg.conf file, can you give some advice?
tajin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-07, 01:35 AM   #9
tajin

My Hansol monitor at GUI for nvidia xserver settings it is shown as Separate X screen, I guess it should not, but I don't know how to change it
Old 02-04-07, 10:24 AM   #10
tajin

When I isssued the Command nvidia settings, at Nvidia GUI my Display Hansol 720ED(CRT-0) as I told in my previous email it says configuration: separate X screen, when I go to the configure... button it shows 3 options How should this display device be configure?:
-Disabled(it's shown dimmed)
-Separate Screen
-TwinView(it's shown dimmed)
So my only option is Separate screen, and it's the only choice, how can I make the changes to use my Hansol Display?
Old 03-12-07, 12:33 PM   #11
Xaver

Woohoo!
I had exactly the same problem as resal but now it works! In a moment of silliness after trying a thousand things, i just told the kde panel (the kubuntu equivalent of kcontrol; which always told me obviousely wrong values) to switch to the lowest frequency possible (51 Hz) and - I had a real nice refresh freq, about 85 Hz.

To be exact, i did this when trying the 9629 driver, and afterwards updated to the 9631. And I am not really sure if everything works now (3d seems slow), but at least I can work this way!

Maybe netllama is right and it is not (really) a driver issue. From the crap that kcontrol displays and other things, I got the impression that it is the _communication_ between the driver and kde thats corrupted.
That everything works fine when I switch back to the oss module ('nv') could be a hint that is is partly a driver issue, even if its not an error as such...
Xaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-07, 12:39 PM   #12
Xaver

Ah, forgot to tell:
Kubuntu 6.10 (Edgy Eft)
Kernel 2.6.17-11
GeForce4 Ti 4200 (or maybe 4400?)
Siemens 21' CRT

Would be eager to know if this is a problem with the newer kernel, but have no time to fool around...
Xaver is offline   Reply With Quote