Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-30-06, 07:32 PM   #13
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Default Re: Other bugs with the Nvidia 9xxx Drivers

I just fired up Quake4 (Linux Native Game) here on a system at work, and it reports the correct Video Memory for this card here.. They don't use a script, as it's in the binary. I also fired up Cedega here too, and I get a blank Video Memory field in it too. Last night (More like very early this morning), I fired up Prey via Cedega, and it's also using the Doom 3 engine like Q4 does, and only reported 64MB of Video Memory, when it should have reported 512MB's..

With the 96.29 driver installed, and setting the 'Option "DynamicTwinView" "off", in my xorg.conf file, disables the "X Server Display Configuration" and shows and error about Twinview which I don't use.. (I'll have check that error out when I get home tonight)

So there's really something wierd going on here..

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 08:16 PM   #14
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

The Linux versions of Doom 3 and Quake 4 both use the NV-CONTROL extension to query the amount of video memory, whereas Cedega doesn't; so the observed behavior makes sense. Setting the DynamicTwinView option to off disables dynamic display configurability.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 08:42 PM   #15
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Ah, ok, so when I turn DynamicTwinView back on, the screen size & rotate utility reports the wrong Vert sync as being 50Hz, and something rediculous like 164Mhz?! When I set it to 85Hz using the Nvidia Utllity. When it should be 85Hz..

I've place a bug report with Transgaming, regarding the video memory stuff, their bug list is VERY long, so that may take quite a while before anything will happen there..

Thanks Zander...

Wolf
Old 11-30-06, 10:30 PM   #16
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Yes, please see http://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/L...ppendix-d.html for a more detailed description of the tradeoff.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 10:38 PM   #17
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Yes, I read that part.. The thing I don't quite understand is, WHY doesn't it do it when I use the 87.76 drivers?? The refresh rates are all reported correctly with 87.76. It's only with the 96.xx drivers where it doesn't... And I haven't changed any other settings other than install the updated drivers.

Wolf
Old 11-30-06, 10:42 PM   #18
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

1.0-8776 doesn't support DynamicTwinview.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-06, 10:46 PM   #19
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

I'm not even using Twinview.. I only have a single CRT setup with very basic settings.. So where does twinview come into all this??

See attached xorg.conf.bz2 file..

Wolf
Attached Files
File Type: bz2 xorg.conf.bz2 (1.4 KB, 80 views)
Old 11-30-06, 11:02 PM   #20
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Twinview is effectively always on in 1.0-9xxx drivers, which is what makes turning it on via nvidia-settings without restarting X possible. Setting DynamicTwinView to off would return you to the pre 1.0-9xxx driver behavior.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-06, 09:36 PM   #21
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Stuff it then.. I'll stick to the 87.76 drivers till this is all sorted out.. They may not detect my new video card correctly, but at least this version gives me 10-15% higher frame rates than the 9x.xx drivers.. And they don't break things.. Plus it would be a good idea to fixup all the bugs in the current version before going and adding more features and work rounds. As that only make it all worse. (As if I've read the stuff on this forum correctly, these drivers still have bugs, which date back to the 5x.xx drivers..)

Wolf

Last edited by Wolfman [TWP]; 12-02-06 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-02-06, 06:20 AM   #22
bobbel42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman [TWP]
Stuff it then.. [..]
Wolf
That's a bit harsh, isn't it? These people go through all the trouble of helping you and you tell 'm to stuff it? Sheesh.
bobbel42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-06, 07:07 AM   #23
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Default Re: Other bugs with the Nvidia 9x.xx Drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbel42
That's a bit harsh, isn't it? These people go through all the trouble of helping you and you tell 'm to stuff it? Sheesh.
No, it's not harsh at all.. Nothing that's been said so far has helped at all. I've still got the same problems as I had when I first posted this thread. All what I've learned so far is that the new driver does things a little differently than the previous one did. I shouldn't have to go and modify scripts and other stuff, just because the driver does things differently, especially when it was working with the previous drivers without a problem. What I say is, get the bugs fixed first, and get that all working. Then once it's all running properly, then go and add enhancements, and look into better ways of doing things.. Some of the bugs in these drivers have been lingering on, (Some going back to the 7x.xx drivers) way too long now, and it's time they get fixed once and for all.

Wolf
Old 12-02-06, 10:01 AM   #24
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Wolfman [TWP],
You reported two issues, one of which you later acknowledged was a Cedega bug. The other we've told you is expected behavior in order to provide new functionality in 1.0-9xxx drivers. We provided you with details on how to restore the 1.0-8xxx driver behavior.

Its not clear what more you are expecting or what other bugs you believe haven't been fixed.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote