Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-24-07, 04:23 PM   #109
xhawk101

Default Re: AMD Athlon 64 FX-70 Series Processors Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001
Processors are in my hands and i bought XP pro 64 bit so that all 4 gigs of memory can be seen,and used,effectively...Next couple of days will be very busy(Exams) so i have to schedule the build this weekend.

That QuadFX blog has been updated in case some here haven't read it in a while...

Just ordered vista ultimate 32 bit- will that not take advantage of my 4 gb coming?

Have on order fx 70 chips, the asus mobo, 2 hard drives, 2 100$ video cards, and windows vista Ultimate 32 bit. Found the mobo for 300$ retail at page computer.
xhawk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-07, 04:30 PM   #110
superklye

32-bit OSs cannot address more than 3GB of memory.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-07, 04:35 PM   #111
xhawk101

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
32-bit OSs cannot address more than 3GB of memory.

DOh! well now i have this already coming (Vista premium 32 bit); my understanding was that there are still lots of compatability problems with 64 bit??
Old 01-24-07, 04:45 PM   #112
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhawk101
Just ordered vista ultimate 32 bit- will that not take advantage of my 4 gb coming?

Have on order fx 70 chips, the asus mobo, 2 hard drives, 2 100$ video cards, and windows vista Ultimate 32 bit. Found the mobo for 300$ retail at page computer.

The 32 bit version of vista might be able to see the 4GB of ram,or might act like WinXP and only see 3 out of the 4 GB.....In any case,no 32 bit O/S will support more than 4GB since that's the maximum they can theoretically address anyhow...

But the other problem with that is that i'm not sure if that version will also see all the CPU's,since in this case with the QuadFX,each one uses it's own socket,and i think it was last year that microsoft changed the licencing agreement on a per socket basis,rather than strictly the number of CPU cores....

If all the cores were in the same CPU package and the motherboard only had a single socket,i can't see there being a problem with that particular version,but this isn't the case....

Last thing for me is that theres still bugs that may be present in Vista(the first service pack is scheduled for second half of the year),and that drivers in vista are still not up to snuff and will need at least a few months to sort themselves out.....I mean,there still isn't any SLI support in the current vista drivers for Nvidia cards,so even if i wanted to use Vista right away,i couldn't(7950 GX2 needs SLI support to work the way it's intended)

Hence why i got the OEM version of Win XP 64,sees all the ram in the system(and supports a lot more),the O/S is rock stable(built on 2003 server),will see all the processors you can eventually shove into this board,and drivers are mature and performing at least as well as in WinXP 32 bit.....

Awsome price on the motherboard btw....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-07, 07:26 PM   #113
xhawk101

Quote:
The 32 bit version of vista might be able to see the 4GB of ram,or might act like WinXP and only see 3 out of the 4 GB.....In any case,no 32 bit O/S will support more than 4GB since that's the maximum they can theoretically address anyhow...

But the other problem with that is that i'm not sure if that version will also see all the CPU's,since in this case with the QuadFX,each one uses it's own socket,and i think it was last year that microsoft changed the licencing agreement on a per socket basis,rather than strictly the number of CPU cores....

If all the cores were in the same CPU package and the motherboard only had a single socket,i can't see there being a problem with that particular version,but this isn't the case....

Last thing for me is that theres still bugs that may be present in Vista(the first service pack is scheduled for second half of the year),and that drivers in vista are still not up to snuff and will need at least a few months to sort themselves out.....I mean,there still isn't any SLI support in the current vista drivers for Nvidia cards,so even if i wanted to use Vista right away,i couldn't(7950 GX2 needs SLI support to work the way it's intended)

Hence why i got the OEM version of Win XP 64,sees all the ram in the system(and supports a lot more),the O/S is rock stable(built on 2003 server),will see all the processors you can eventually shove into this board,and drivers are mature and performing at least as well as in WinXP 32 bit.....

Awsome price on the motherboard btw....
Well the price on mobo was too good to be true- Page computers sux! they tell me 12 days later that they dont have one after taking my purchase- now i have everything except this on hand to start building the system

how is yours coming?
Old 02-06-07, 03:29 PM   #114
shadow001

Quote:
Well the price on mobo was too good to be true- Page computers sux! they tell me 12 days later that they dont have one after taking my purchase- now i have everything except this on hand to start building the system

how is yours coming?

Got everything put together last week,but 2 hours into the install,after everything was properly detected in the Bios(processor speeds,voltages,memory and memory timings,etc),and i had set what i wanted enabled and disabled and the boot sequence,as well as doing a low level format of the drive that was to run the O/S,i started the install procedure,and when the setup hit around the 80% mark,as it copying the files into the hard drive,i has a blue screen with some really long exception error and also locked up the system....

So i restarted the system,thinking that at worse,i'd have to restart the install from the beginning,but right off the bat on the restart,i get a bad bios checksum error,and restarting the system several times always diaplayed the same thing....

I Read the manual to see what i could do,and i reset the cmos several times,but to no avail,always displayed the same error,so as a last resort,i did an emergency bios recovery,since the original Bios file is located in the support CD that comes with the motherboard,and the board itself auytomattically scans for anything that can store that file in case of an error with the bios on the board itself,be it CD,USB or floppy,and it still sees the CD rom and the support CD with that Bios file....

So it starts erasing the currupted bios in the chip,and copies over the one in the cd rom and about 20 secs later,tells me to restart the system to recover it,wich i did and it was still displaying the same me bios checksum error.....Redid the above procedure 3 more times,and still failed each one of them too....

So as a last resort,called up asus support and explained the whole thing,and the tech said i have 2 options,either RMA the whole board,or they ship a new bios chip(they can be pulled out of the socket),and try again,as the problem isn't with the bios program itself,but with the bios chip being defective....

So i'm in the process of waiting for a new chip to be sent as they come from california,so it'll takes a while....
Old 02-06-07, 03:53 PM   #115
xhawk101

Quote:
Got everything put together last week,but 2 hours into the install,after everything was properly detected in the Bios(processor speeds,voltages,memory and memory timings,etc),and i had set what i wanted enabled and disabled and the boot sequence,as well as doing a low level format of the drive that was to run the O/S,i started the install procedure,and when the setup hit around the 80% mark,as it copying the files into the hard drive,i has a blue screen with some really long exception error and also locked up the system....

So i restarted the system,thinking that at worse,i'd have to restart the install from the beginning,but right off the bat on the restart,i get a bad bios checksum error,and restarting the system several times always diaplayed the same thing....

I Read the manual to see what i could do,and i reset the cmos several times,but to no avail,always displayed the same error,so as a last resort,i did an emergency bios recovery,since the original Bios file is located in the support CD that comes with the motherboard,and the board itself auytomattically scans for anything that can store that file in case of an error with the bios on the board itself,be it CD,USB or floppy,and it still sees the CD rom and the support CD with that Bios file....

So it starts erasing the currupted bios in the chip,and copies over the one in the cd rom and about 20 secs later,tells me to restart the system to recover it,wich i did and it was still displaying the same me bios checksum error.....Redid the above procedure 3 more times,and still failed each one of them too....

So as a last resort,called up asus support and explained the whole thing,and the tech said i have 2 options,either RMA the whole board,or they ship a new bios chip(they can be pulled out of the socket),and try again,as the problem isn't with the bios program itself,but with the bios chip being defective....

So i'm in the process of waiting for a new chip to be sent as they come from california,so it'll takes a while....

Shadow so sorry to hear of your problems- i hope mine is not the same. Tomorrow i should have all the parts avail.
Old 02-11-07, 11:36 AM   #116
xhawk101

Quote:

Shadow so sorry to hear of your problems- i hope mine is not the same. Tomorrow i should have all the parts avail.
Well i have all my hardware in place and can boot up! Presently trying to install oem windows vista ultimate-- having problems finding driver- its not on asus disk-

i have 2 new 250 gb drives trying to set up in raid as boot. as it turns out my old system (opteron dual 1.6 ghz board also) died like the day before this system came. it must have known...

anyway, now trying to format a drive before is a challenge.

any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Old 02-12-07, 07:46 AM   #117
shadow001

Quote:
Well i have all my hardware in place and can boot up! Presently trying to install oem windows vista ultimate-- having problems finding driver- its not on asus disk-

i have 2 new 250 gb drives trying to set up in raid as boot. as it turns out my old system (opteron dual 1.6 ghz board also) died like the day before this system came. it must have known...

anyway, now trying to format a drive before is a challenge.

any help or suggestions would be appreciated, thanks!

Never really set up a raid in Vista unfortunately,but given that drivers for the new O/S are still very beta or even non existent,why not setup the system using XP,including the raid,then add vista on top,but set up as a dual boot system where you can pick wich one to load into on startup.....

Main stuff still gets done with XP for the next few months while you learn how to use Vista,and in 6 months time,the first service pack should be out,and drivers should be a lot better then too....
Old 02-12-07, 12:15 PM   #118
xhawk101

Quote:
Never really set up a raid in Vista unfortunately,but given that drivers for the new O/S are still very beta or even non existent,why not setup the system using XP,including the raid,then add vista on top,but set up as a dual boot system where you can pick wich one to load into on startup.....

Main stuff still gets done with XP for the next few months while you learn how to use Vista,and in 6 months time,the first service pack should be out,and drivers should be a lot better then too....

Well I have it running great under windows vista ultimate with 4gb ram. it recognizes only 2.5 gb for some reason?

Running incredible fast!

Asus now has the mobo on their website with drivers

Old 02-12-07, 02:08 PM   #119
shadow001

Quote:
Well I have it running great under windows vista ultimate with 4gb ram. it recognizes only 2.5 gb for some reason?

Running incredible fast!

Asus now has the mobo on their website with drivers

You got the 32 bit version of Vista,so it has the same memory limitation as with WinXP....So see the remaining memory,you'd have the use the 64 bit version of Vista.

As for me,i finally found out why the Bios got corrupted in the first place,as i initially though that the board had shipped with a bad Bios chip.

As it turns out,once i put in the new Bios chip,the board booted fine and detected everything just as before,i set all the options i needed enabled,and then proceded to install the O/S itself,wich yet again produced errors,this time being a specific file it couldn't read off the Windows CD,so i restart the system,and there it goes again,a bad Checksum bios error and bios recovery procedure will not work,just like before....

So it's pretty much a given that the incompatibilty here is between the current Bios revision and WinXP 64 bit professsional,as it's the second time it's killed the Bios just as it's copying the files for the first time....So yet another Bios order made,only this time i emailed the support staff to see if they have a Bios available that supports WinXP 64 bit pro,at the same time i placed the order online....They'll Email me with any news.
Old 02-18-07, 10:35 AM   #120
shadow001

And one more update in what turning out to be the biggest pain in the *** as far as computer builds are concerned...

Seems that the Current Bios does support Win XP 64 bit just fine,and when i had a really long conversation with the ASUS tech support staff,and told him in detail what i had done so far,he commented that errors like that are sometimes caused by faulty memory modules...

So i went back to my local shop,and exchanged the generic samsung memory modules,wich have a life time warranty anyhow,for kingston memory chips at no extra cost(Local shops FTW),despite the fact that the motherboard detected the original memory just fine...

The other thing i did was install Win XP 64 bit on a spare machine built up of parts i had accumated over the past few years,and everything went great,so data corruption or any possible physical damage to the disk itself isn't an issue...Despite that,i bought a new DVD rom drive since they're pretty cheap these days,and to make sure that my existing DVD rom currently installed in the Quad FX system wasn't causing the issue as well....

The second Bios they shipped turned out either defective or damaged in transport(static discharge perhaps???),since the motherboard wouldn't even initialise the video card at all with that bios chip installed...I put back the previous Bios chip and the video card does start up,even if the display only shows a bad bios checksum error,and launches the automatic bios recovery procedure,wich i know won't work since i attempted it several times in a row.....

If after using the new DVD rom,and swaping out the memory for another brand,and making sure that the O/S disk itself is fine,and receiving what will be the third Bios chip in as many weeks,it still produces the error when at the windows file copying stage from the DVD to the hard drive,then i'll RMA the whole board for a new one....