Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 02-27-07, 07:23 PM   #121
shadow001

Default Re: AMD Athlon 64 FX-70 Series Processors Reviews

Well,here comes another update now that i had a some time available to tackle the problem at hand,and armed with a new bios chip,and the memory that my local shop exchanged without giving me any greif....The system now works as intended,and already has the O/S installed and i managed to get the latest drivers and even install a couple of games and benchmarks....

First thing to note however,is that the Fan/heatsinks for the CPU's are noisier than i'd like,but it's mostly down to the first bios revision,wich has a tough time making up it's mind on where the RPM should be set,as it'll either spin them at 1000 RPM,wich you can't even hear them at all,or once the CPU's hit 50*C,cranks them up to 6000 RPM,at which point,you'll definately hear them...,seems that the first bios had trouble with the cool and quiet feature of the chips,and that a recent bios release fixes that ansd increases memory compatibility as well.....

Performance wise,it's working very nicely,as even without any tweaking and right out of the box,i scored 9300 3Dmarks in the latest 3D mark with the 7950 GX2 and even ran sandra and get some sick memory bandwith scores too....I also ran supreme commander and yes,all 4 CPU's kick in that game and even with 250+ units and the game running with all options maxed at higher resolutions(1920*1200 2X AA),the game was absolutely the smoothest thing i've even seen.....

Now the bad news,how to get the networking to operate so that i have net access and can validate the O/S and get the microsoft windows updates,as that still has to be done with the spare PC(typing this on it right now)....I've checked this so far:

That the drivers for the ethernet adapters are installed and show up on the hardware list and that no error codes are displayed(there's 2 built into the board and both don't work).

On the network connections section within the control panel,both connections show up as available,and when i plug in the ethernet cable in either one,they indicate if they're connected or not,and if connected,negotiate the IP adress,DNS,and all relevant info they need to work between the ethernet card and the DSL router(Linksys),and even the IP address from the ISP itself is displayed....Despite that,i still attempted to repair the connection and see if that worked and allowed me to access the net(nope).

Right clicked on the internet explorer icon,and selected the properties to allow to start the automated internet connection wizard,at wich point i specifically chose the options to manually set the connection,use local lan adapters,and that my internet service provider uses DSL and is always on,wich i tried the procedure several times,and it just won't work....

All i had to do was disconnect the Lan cable from the quad setup to the backup system i'm typing on right now,and i have Net access,so i know at least that the problem isn't with the cable,or the DSL router or the DSL modem itself,but there's no error codes and all the obvious stuff has been checked many times.....Only thing left is to dowload the latest Nforce drivers from Nvidia directly,since the network controlers are built into the Nforce chipset,and hope it works,as i'm not sure if the Nforce ones contained within the motherboard support CD are the latest ones.....

This basically seems to be a software problem,but i've pretty much checked the major items,and can't seem to make it work,but that Quad FX Owner wich i linked a couple of pages ago,did have the exact same problem,but didn't explain what he did to fix that particular issue.....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-07, 09:25 PM   #122
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Fyi, Barcelona procs are sampling and testing now.

If I get my hands on any info, I'll let y'all know.

Cheers
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-07, 04:51 PM   #123
shadow001

And another update....

i installed the latest Win Xp 64 bit motherboard drivers to see if thge ethernet ports now work,but still no joy,even though there's no errors that i can see,and windows detects when there's an Ethernet cable connected or not in each port,and negotiates the IP and DNS info between the ethernet ports on the motherboard and the DSL router....

I talked to Asus support about it,and they suggested i RMA the board to get a replacement,but i think that's overkill just because of a couple of ethernet ports,so i'll try to get either a USB 2.0 ethernet adapter or a PCI-e ethernet adapter in the next few days,and go from there....If i get the internet connection working,then i'll know for sure that both built in ethernet ports are offcially busted.

As for the overall noise levels,i flashed the board with the latest Bios and the CPU fans work much better now,but it turns out that the main noise from the system wasn't the CPU fans for the most part,but rather the power supply fan having to work quite hard,given the amount of power it has to supply to the system overall.....

So a new power supply may be in the near future,not just because of the noise levels on the current one when it's being stressed,but also because of the rising power demands of upcoming high end video cards in general,as i intend to upgrade to a DX10 card this year,but with the current power supply i'm running,i'm pretty much limited to video cards using no more than 150 watts max(140 watts for the 7950 GX2),and the current 8800 GTX already uses more than that to start off(180 watts),with the R600 going much higher still(240 watts)....

So the search begins....Where to find an 850 to 1000 watt power supply that's also quiet,even when it may have to deliver 650+ watts continously, wich will happen if i get a video card using above 200 watts on it's own....

Ran more programs and games and everything is running great in terms of both stability and performance,but the main thing right now is getting it connected to internet and validate the copy of XP 64 bit,and download all the patches too....
Old 03-02-07, 09:20 AM   #124
shadow001

Here comes another update....

Turns out that i found the reason why the power supply fan was turning so fast and the air temperature so high,wich at first i though was due to the power draw of the system,and while it is high,that wasn't the cause....

The reason was insuficient ventilation on the left side of the cube server case,given that that's the side with 4 10 000 RPM scsi hard drives(wich run decently hot to start off),and 2 DVD rom drives,and with all the attendant cabling connecting everything,the airflow just wasn't good enough and forced the power supply fan to work much harder than it had too,so not only have the overall temps inside the case gone down,but the systems overall noise level is now much lower.....all i'll have to do is make a modification to the left side panel cover(an opening basically),lined up with the power supply,to basically let it breathe a bit better...

Btw,the power supply in question is a 650 watt silverstone Zeus(industrial rated at 50*C,all rails driven),though it kinda bugs me a bit that the 12 volt line,when looking at the bios,reads 11.7 volts even though the system is rock stable at everything i've thown at it so far...

To make the system even more quiet would at this point,require me to change the CPU heatsink/fan assemblies for something a little bigger that also uses bigger,but slower turning fans to knock a few extra decibles off the noise levels,wich is something i'll likely do in the coming weeks,but not a rush,since the noise levels,while noticable,aren't really excessive,especially now that i found the main reason why the system was running much louder than i liked(PS fan).

Regarding the other remaining issue,and after contacting the owner of that other Quad FX system,mentioned in the blog i linked to on the previous page,seems that his problem exactly mirrors my own,and that the only way he's found to get net access is to add a PCI network card,since the 2 built eithernet ones simply refuse to work,not only in Win XP 64 bit also 64 bit vista,for wich he'll RMA the board in time....

In my case,i'll try to find either a PCI-e 1x network card or one of those USB 2.0 power network adapters,wich in either case have to support Win XP 64 bit thru drivers,otherwise i'll have no choice but to RMA the board,as using a standard PCI network card isn't an option,since there's only 1 PCI slot on the whole board and it's being used for the scsi card....It's also the same reason why i have to use the built in sound on the motherboard itself,as even after nearly 2 years of the standard having been introduced,there still aren't any PCI-e sound cards by either creative,or M audio,or any other maker.....
Old 03-06-07, 08:58 PM   #125
xhawk101

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001
Here comes another update....

Turns out that i found the reason why the power supply fan was turning so fast and the air temperature so high,wich at first i though was due to the power draw of the system,and while it is high,that wasn't the cause....

The reason was insuficient ventilation on the left side of the cube server case,given that that's the side with 4 10 000 RPM scsi hard drives(wich run decently hot to start off),and 2 DVD rom drives,and with all the attendant cabling connecting everything,the airflow just wasn't good enough and forced the power supply fan to work much harder than it had too,so not only have the overall temps inside the case gone down,but the systems overall noise level is now much lower.....all i'll have to do is make a modification to the left side panel cover(an opening basically),lined up with the power supply,to basically let it breathe a bit better...

Btw,the power supply in question is a 650 watt silverstone Zeus(industrial rated at 50*C,all rails driven),though it kinda bugs me a bit that the 12 volt line,when looking at the bios,reads 11.7 volts even though the system is rock stable at everything i've thown at it so far...

To make the system even more quiet would at this point,require me to change the CPU heatsink/fan assemblies for something a little bigger that also uses bigger,but slower turning fans to knock a few extra decibles off the noise levels,wich is something i'll likely do in the coming weeks,but not a rush,since the noise levels,while noticable,aren't really excessive,especially now that i found the main reason why the system was running much louder than i liked(PS fan).

Regarding the other remaining issue,and after contacting the owner of that other Quad FX system,mentioned in the blog i linked to on the previous page,seems that his problem exactly mirrors my own,and that the only way he's found to get net access is to add a PCI network card,since the 2 built eithernet ones simply refuse to work,not only in Win XP 64 bit also 64 bit vista,for wich he'll RMA the board in time....

In my case,i'll try to find either a PCI-e 1x network card or one of those USB 2.0 power network adapters,wich in either case have to support Win XP 64 bit thru drivers,otherwise i'll have no choice but to RMA the board,as using a standard PCI network card isn't an option,since there's only 1 PCI slot on the whole board and it's being used for the scsi card....It's also the same reason why i have to use the built in sound on the motherboard itself,as even after nearly 2 years of the standard having been introduced,there still aren't any PCI-e sound cards by either creative,or M audio,or any other maker.....
Well Shadow - hope you have some good news to report. Mine is running great so far. Much quieter actualy than my old system, and so far, i cant tell any difference on my power bill
xhawk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-07, 09:36 PM   #126
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhawk101
Well Shadow - hope you have some good news to report. Mine is running great so far. Much quieter actualy than my old system, and so far, i cant tell any difference on my power bill

Running fine as well...I Ordered a PCI-e network card(Intel),wich while a tad pricy(70$ US),was the only one that has WinXP 64 bit drivers,while the other 2 models i happen to find(D-link and gigabyte),were cheaper,but only had WinXP and Windows 2003 server drivers,so i didn't want to take a chance...The card was ordered this past monday,and i'll have it either tomorrow or thursday at the latest...

I first tried out the USB network option,but none of the brands i checked had anything beyond WinXP 32 bit drivers,so no joy there....

As for the power bill issue,you'll be pleased to know that the FX 70 setup uses quite a bit less power than the FX74 option,as the processors are clocked 400 mhz less,wich the tech report mesured full load power use(all 4 cores maxed) at 330 watts,while it was 450 watts for the FX74 setup under the same test conditions......

http://www.techreport.com/reviews/20.../index.x?pg=12
Old 03-07-07, 12:18 AM   #127
WimpMiester

Did you try not installing NVIDIA's firewall and only installing the NIC driver? Thatís what I had to do get an Asus Crosshair boards' network adapter to work.
WimpMiester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 02:33 AM   #128
ASUSEN7900GTX

so as i have understood intel C2D is still stronger than almost anything AMD has?

or am i wrong should i go for FX70 set up instead of C2D E6600?
Asus P6t deluxe V2

"be to others as you want others to be against you"
some wiseass came up with it
ASUSEN7900GTX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-07, 12:17 PM   #129
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by WimpMiester
Did you try not installing NVIDIA's firewall and only installing the NIC driver? Thatís what I had to do get an Asus Crosshair boards' network adapter to work.

Tried that aproach as well,and it didn't work...I guess the networking on the board is definately screwed beyond the point wich WinXP can even detect the fault,since everything is recognized in terms of drivers,the ports are listed within the network connections section of the control panel,and even when i plug in a cable in either port,Windows also sees it,and immediately attempts to negotiate and IP address and DNS to the DSL router,wich it does,and i still have no net connection....

I set up internet explorer manually,with the options that i connect thru the lan and that the connection is always on,but get nothing.

The ethernet cable and DSL router,as well as the DSL modem itself work fine,since i have a spare system wich also has Win XP 64,but uses an onboard marvell ethernet controler and it works fine.....In any case,it's not a problem bad enough to send back the whole board and wait a couple of weeks,since everything else works great....
Old 03-07-07, 12:38 PM   #130
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASUSEN7900GTX
so as i have understood intel C2D is still stronger than almost anything AMD has?

or am i wrong should i go for FX70 set up instead of C2D E6600?

On single threaded apps where the individual cores matter most in overall performance,the C2D AND QX6700 are better in every application,but once all 4 cores are loaded,there are programs here and there that actually run faster on the AMD Quad setup....My guess is that it's becuase of the fact that each CPU socket has it's own direct access to main ram,and that each CPU also has it's own memory controler running at the same speed as the CPU core....

But the main reason i did it personally,is becuase of 2 things,the FX70 CPU's cost me 600$ for the pair,wich still put them 200$ less than the QX 6600 CPU,never mind the QX 6700 version at 1100$...

And while the motherboard itself did cost about 175$ more than a good C2D board that also supports the kentsfield chips,it does offer the potential to upgrade to not 1 but 2 Barcelona Quad core CPU's once they get cheap enough,without even changing anything else...

So the potential is there to more than double the overall CPU power of the system to a nice round 8 CPU cores,wich relative to a kentsfield setup,wich once purchased,becomes a dead end,since the yorkfield chips will use a different motherboard chipset and may be even DDR3 memory...

So basically,i took a longer view aproach,and even if it isn't the absolute fastest system out there right now,4 Athlon 64 cores at 2.6 ghz a piece aren't a slowch in performance,and run everything out there at great speed.....Once software becomes more multreaded and demanding on the CPU side,and we all know how fast CPU prices drop these days,i'll just change the current dual core pair,for a Quad core barcelona pair,wich take all of 30 mins for the swap,doesn't even require a reformat,and i'm ready for a couple more years of usefull life out of the system....
Old 03-07-07, 03:00 PM   #131
ynnek

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001
On single threaded apps where the individual cores matter most in overall performance,the C2D AND QX6700 are better in every application,but once all 4 cores are loaded,there are programs here and there that actually run faster on the AMD Quad setup....
Was there actually a benchmark test that proved this?

oh i see, one test that hardocp did, out of the 4 multitasking tests, that have the fx-72 barely edging out.
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-07, 10:16 PM   #132
shadow001

Well,got the network card installed,and everything is working great now....

Just got to call up microsoft to have the activation over and done with,since i have the same copy of winXP 64 installed on the spare machine mostly for troubleshooting purposes,and to have a usable system while this one wasn't working for the last several weeks,but given the entirely different configuration between both systems,i wasn't surprised that the activation would pose problems....

Even then,i still managed to get all the updates downloaded save for Internet explorer 7,wich microsoft forces to activate windows,before allowing that particular download to happen,and in any case,i use firefox,so no big deal....

On the hardware side of things,the only thing i had to do was move the 7950 GX2 to the third PCI-e slot,in order to unblock the 1x PCI-e slot that's right below the first 16x PCI-e slot,where the video card was originally installed....

Still got more software to install,but glad that after a month of non-stop greif regarding this build,wich included a lot of hours spent troubleshooting why the bios was getting killed on the O/S install(bad memory modules),and then the networking issues afterwards,everything is now running great....