Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-01-06, 10:45 AM   #61
shadow001

Default Re: AMD Athlon 64 FX-70 Series Processors Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianG
I would like to see the impact of running XP x64 on some of the benchmarks.

So what we know now is that AMD's current CPU is slower than Intel's - no surprise. Quad-FX is still slower than Kentsfield - no surprise. I do not know what any AMD fan would have expected from this platform. There is no magic bullet to save tehm until the new architecture is released. Intel is faster.

However, this platform is intriguing. FEATURES out the wazoo. I think it's Achilles heal is the power consumption. Problem is that the power is not a factor of having two CPUs. It is because of the two nForce SLI chips. That mobo is a space heater. IT needs a die shrink and a dual core architecture on one socket to cut down on power consumption.

I think it is interesting the [H]'s review is mostly positive. They seem to be keeping an pen mind, despite the inevitable conclusion that Kentsfield is an easier and better performing solution. I still wonder how x64 or Vista will change the benchies that rely on memory bandwidth.

My score card:
CPUs - B (Nice clock bump with new packaging)
Dual/Dual Arch. - B+ (HT works)
Chipset - C (the ugly Band-Aid)
Features - A (How many SATA ports you want? Good with the bad of above.)
Upgrade - B (K8L compatible, same aweful power draw)

All that said, I will probably hold off on upgrading my CPU until we know more about K8L. If I can swing a sample mobo or CPU from either camp, I'll make changes, but the X2 4800+ is just fine for now and might get in some OC'ing soon.

Oh, and anyone notice that Quad-FX is accompanied by demo silicon of actual Quad-core from AMD? Page out of the Intel book sharing info with the press of way off products so the market does not lose hope. Conroe benchies eight months before release, anyone? Expect to see working benchmarks of the Quad Opty as soon as the clocks get up to pace.

Well,power consumption will always be an issue with this platform,since even if the upcoming Quad core K8L chips actually match the performance and power use of the kentsfields,this board can hold 2 Quad core processors....So even if the K8L's power use drops to half,there's still 8 cores to power up,instead of the 4 cores now,so it'll likely still top that 500 watt mark when all 8 cores are in use at full blast,best case scenario....

Now given that future roadmaps from both Intel and AMD no longer place emphasis on clock speeds anymore,to the point that neither one will break the 4 ghz mark on any processor they'll market,even by the end of 2007/early 2008,and that the core 2 duo architecture is just a stop gap mesure,Since Intel seems already hard at work with the next generation Nehalem chips, and CSI,wich is their version of hypertransport and those Nehalem chips have a built in memory controler,wich supposedly are due out in late 2008,you have to wonder how the kentsfield will scale up as you add more and more threads into the workload,when all 4 cores are using the Same FSB and a shared memory controler....

With current software,especially gaming being single threaded,the Higher IPC of the conroe/kentsfield wins out in a very clear manner,so there's point in disputing that fact,but once the K8L is released,and at least matches the IPC of the conroe/kentsfield chips,and has the advantage of better scaling due to hypertransport and each chip having their own built in memory controler,all of in being managed under Vista,wich has better NUMA support,wich to boot, there will be at least a couple of games that are multithreaded as well,things might look very different then....

So who ever buys the 4X4 platform,buys in on faith that as software gets more demanding and uses a higher number of threads, and there's Vista to manage the whole thing better than XP does,it has the ability to be a viable machine with a potentially longer usefull life than a kentsfield,even if the kentsfield performs better on current software under Windows XP....

Still thinking right now,but that FX70 option for what is essentially 4 athlon 64 CPU's at 2.6 ghz,wich are still very respectable performance wise,sounds like killer bang for the buck for 600$ to me...Wouldn't touch the FX74 at 1000$ for less than 15% better performance,wich is the clock speed difference between both...

Then much later on,when Quad core chips become much cheaper,move it to a pair of those......
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 11:59 AM   #62
superklye

This is completely off topic, but I really think 74 is my favorite number. I don't know what it is about it, but I love it.

The phrase "FX-74" just looks insidiously baddass.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 03:35 PM   #63
einstein_314
w00t!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
This is completely off topic, but I really think 74 is my favorite number. I don't know what it is about it, but I love it.

The phrase "FX-74" just looks insidiously baddass.
Logitech Z-5300 Speakers || Sennheiser HD555's || Logitech G7 || Logitech G15 || Windows Vista Ultimate x64
einstein_314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 10:05 AM   #64
xhawk101

Lightbulb Re: AMD Athlon 64 FX-70 Series Processors Reviews

Well i notice major price drops in my search for hardware and desire to plan for the AMD quad upgradeability versus possibly operton or intel dual xeon system. THe prices have basically halved since its Nov 29 launch and i believe all these reviews need to be re-evaluated at this time.

I have seen the AMD FX 70 for $329 and the ASUS mobo for as low as $329. COupled with the cheaper non-ecc memory, this is starting to look a lot more palatable option even with the higher power cost.

I like the idea that the platform has a future as opposed to Intel's quad option.

Looking to upgrade my 3 year old opteron Dual system 1.6 ghz with 1 GB ecc memory MSI K8T master 2.

What does everyone think now about this???
xhawk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-06, 08:55 PM   #65
john19055

I just can't justified haveing to buy two processor and a duall motherboard when the E6600 is just a little over $300 and it will beat the duall FX setup with just a little bit of overclocking and the E6600 will do more then just a little bit of overclocking when most of them will do 3.6gigs with no problems ,plus in jan they are going to lower prices and even have a Quad 6600 for $534.
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-06, 05:59 PM   #66
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by john19055
I just can't justified haveing to buy two processor and a duall motherboard when the E6600 is just a little over $300 and it will beat the duall FX setup with just a little bit of overclocking and the E6600 will do more then just a little bit of overclocking when most of them will do 3.6gigs with no problems ,plus in jan they are going to lower prices and even have a Quad 6600 for $534.

A dual core beating a system with 4 CPU's with just a bit of overclocking?...In games sure,since they're single threaded,and the other 3 CPU cores of the FX series are basically doing nothing,but in multithreaded applications or under heavy multitasking situations,the FX CPU setup with beat a dual core no matter how much it's overclocked.....

This is without considering that the QuadFX motherboards will support the Quad core CPU's that AMD will release in about 6 months,so it's possible to have some 8 CPU action going on...

Basically,It's a motherboard you can keep for a long time,as it also supports up to 8 gigs of DDR2 800,so running into memory support limits within the next 3~4 years is unlikely,as single socket motherboards usually top out at 4 gigs even anyhow,and you'll need a 64 bit operating system to address the extra memory above the 4 gig mark....Basically it's an option that has a lot longer usefull life and something that'll run all applications,at good performance levels,for quite a few years to come.....A lot longer than any single socket motherboard in any case.
Old 12-31-06, 06:15 PM   #67
a12ctic

Its funny, beucase "beating it in gaming" means beating it at 640x480, which you dont care about anyway
Old 12-31-06, 07:42 PM   #68
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12ctic
Its funny, beucase "beating it in gaming" means beating it at 640x480, which you dont care about anyway

I'll have the Quad FX motherboard on wednesday,and a pair of FX70 CPU's and 4 gigs of corsair of DDR2 800....Total cost for all 3...1400$ Can.

Basically it's the cost of the Kentsfield chip by itself,wich also retails for 1300$ can.....The Kentsfield + a good motherboard and 4 gigs of DDR 2 would push close to 2000$ can....No way is that setup worth the extra 600$ for 15~20% better performance,and that's disregarding the 8 CPU potential later on with the Quad FX board.

Old 12-31-06, 07:50 PM   #69
a12ctic

grats man, im glad to see somebody taking advantage of this new platform, if i had more than 50$ (of which will be going towards getting my girlfriend a nice birthday gift) i would seriously consider it.
Old 12-31-06, 08:02 PM   #70
Dazz
"TOON ARMY!"

Send a message via AIM to Dazz

Well if the Q6600 is anything like the QX6700 then forget about overclocking as the FSB craps out not much further then defualt.

Processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Black Edition @ 4.25GHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
Graphics: ASUS ENGTX470
Memory: 4GB Kingston HyperX Blu PC12800 DDR3
Monitor: LG E2260V-PN Full HD WLED 22" & DELL 20" 2005FPW,
Power: Coolermaster Silent Pro Modular 850w PSU
Sound: Logitech Z5500 Digital.
Cooling: Thermalright Silver Arrow.
1st Storage: Kingston V100 SSDNow128GB SSD
2nd Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F1 750GB
Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 09:50 AM   #71
slats

While the 4x4 is not that impressive I'm glad they got it out in the market because it drives Intel to aggressivley price it products while spurring innovation. We must realize in AMD's absence we would be paying 500 dollars for a C2D 6300, so I welcome anything AMD has to offer. This is classic tug-o-war at its finest.
slats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-07, 10:24 AM   #72
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by slats
While the 4x4 is not that impressive I'm glad they got it out in the market because it drives Intel to aggressivley price it products while spurring innovation. We must realize in AMD's absence we would be paying 500 dollars for a C2D 6300, so I welcome anything AMD has to offer. This is classic tug-o-war at its finest.

It's still very decent if you compare the prices though....It'll take a good 6 months before intel drops the price on the kentsfields to anywhere near 600$ like for the pair of FX 70's,which basically are 2.6 ghz X2's with 1 meg cache per core,and they were the fastest chips out there just before the introduction of the conroes 6 months ago....

The 150$ extra for the motherboard is easily justified by the possibility of later on,when they get cheaper,adding a pair of Quad core budapests,which will also have improvements in IPC over AMD's current chips,and gets the system into 8 CPU land in the process...

Add the increased memory support to 8 gigs of DDR2 800,wich no single socket motherboard can handle,and no less than 12 sata ports for harddrives /DVD rom/blueray drives,and the basic system will outlast any Quad core system,as a viable system,able to run anything at good performance levels likely for the next 5+ years once those 8 cores are in there,and the memory is also maxed out.....