Old 01-09-07, 09:13 PM   #97
shadow001

Default Re: AMD Athlon 64 FX-70 Series Processors Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by xhawk101

waaaaaa! i was all excited

I guess this link below is wrong then:

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/articl...50aHVzaWFzdA==

i tried contacting newegg they just told me to check w amd. I would like to hear directly from them on this or if anyone actually has seen the box.

meantime i guess i will reconsider my purchase.

The only thing is that the street prices will match the suggested retail set by AMD as availability improves in the next few weeks,but even then,with the kentsfield QX6700 at 1000$ a pop and the recently reviewed QX6600 at still 850$,and it being a close race with an FX70 setup,wich the FX70 CPU's still cost 200$ less,the FX70 option is still a good option....

The QX6600 Quad core will only drop to roughly the same price as the FX 70 pair in Q2/2007,so that may mean having to wait another 4~5 months till it offcially happends...

Granted the QuadFX motherboard costs more,but allows the future use of AMD's Quad core barcelona chips,so the potential to turn into an 8 way system is there,while still using standard unbuffered DDR 2 RAM,and supporting SLI as well,wich is something that intel can't offer right now,or anytime soon for that matter,with any of the 2 socket server boards that currently can support a pair of Quad core Kentsfields,at anywhere near the cost of the FX70 motherboard(350$),and use FB Dimms to boot(expensive)....
shadow001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 09:15 PM   #98
shadow001

Quote:
now after even more research- On the AMD website itself under FAQ it definitely says that it DOES INCLUDE A 'BUNDLE OF TWO'
see below:

Q: What are the prices of the AMD Athlon 64 FX processors?

A: The AMD Athlon 64 FX-70 processor is priced at $599 for a bundle of two (2) processors. The AMD Athlon 64 FX-72 processor is priced at $799 for a bundle of two (2) processors. The AMD Athlon 64 FX-74 processor is priced at $999 for a bundle of two (2) processors. For more information, please visit www.amd.com/pricing.

please refer to their website:
http://www.amd.com/gb-uk/Processors/...00.html#114399

Well??

I know,it's the suggested retail for a pair,but like i said before,each one comes in it's own box....Just like opteron processsors for AMD based servers.
Old 01-10-07, 01:13 AM   #99
ynnek

Then on top of that, you need to buy a $400ish motherboard to use both processors.. Then perhaps drop more money on a more powerful PSU to power it. (what did hardocp say? about 500 watts just power it on idle WITHOUT a vid card?)

After you spent all your money though, you can drown all your sorrows by warming your hands next to the roaring fans (4x of them too) while the noise pushes out the thoughts in your head..
ynnek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 11:19 AM   #100
shadow001

Quote:
Originally Posted by ynnek
Then on top of that, you need to buy a $400ish motherboard to use both processors.. Then perhaps drop more money on a more powerful PSU to power it. (what did hardocp say? about 500 watts just power it on idle WITHOUT a vid card?)

After you spent all your money though, you can drown all your sorrows by warming your hands next to the roaring fans (4x of them too) while the noise pushes out the thoughts in your head..

Motherboard is 350$ and can support dual Quad core processors later on,can you say the same of any Conroe board right now?....

Noise isn't a factor since those who reviewed them didn't call them totally silient,but average sound levels for a high end desktop/workstation...

I mean with guys here already overclocking conroes to pretty high levels so there's a decent heat output and power consumption increase,especially if they're adding more voltage to get there,and also using SLi setups,wich if it's an 8800 GTX setup,has those large fans,and is using up 360 watts under load for both cards on their own,just for games,suddenly the 450 watts that the FX70 setup uses up full load doesn't sound so bad when you consider the amount of different applications that benefit from all that CPU power,and not just games....

Personally,i'm already running 4 Case fans on my server case,but made a point to buy double bearing ones that also have a built in speed selector,which the slowest speed makes the fans output only 14 db each...System isn't totally silent,but the noise levels are decent enough not to intrude....

Though power use will always be high on a setup like this,since even after i eventually change the CPU's to dual Quads,and assuming that the barcelonas match the power consumption of the kentsfields at the same clock speed,there will be 8 CPU cores in there,and once all 8 are in full load,it's still going to use a lot of power.....

Power consumption figures below using cinebench,wich hits all 4 cores at maximum load

http://techreport.com/reviews/2006q4.../index.x?pg=13
Old 01-11-07, 11:05 AM   #101
xhawk101

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow001
I know,it's the suggested retail for a pair,but like i said before,each one comes in it's own box....Just like opteron processsors for AMD based servers.

Now please refer to the AMD tech support statement i got below:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting AMD Technical Support.

AMD does sell FX70's in pairs however we can't guarantee that some resellers won't sell them separately.

You should ask your reseller if he is selling paired CPU's.

Regards,
Michal Laszczyk
AMD TSC

In order to update this service request, please follow the link below:
http://163.181.251.13/icssb2c_amd/in...=EN&topic=tran
sactions

Best Regards,
AMD Technical Service Center

SO, it appears that THEY ARE SOLD AS PAIRS. Yet they tell me to ask Newegg and Newegg tells me to ask AMD- very Frustrating!!

would someone whom has actually bought this please let us know the truth.
Shadow, dont you have yours on hand by now- you said you ordered some time ago??
xhawk101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-07, 07:42 PM   #102
shadow001

Quote:
Now please refer to the AMD tech support statement i got below:

Dear Sir,

Thank you for contacting AMD Technical Support.

AMD does sell FX70's in pairs however we can't guarantee that some resellers won't sell them separately.

You should ask your reseller if he is selling paired CPU's.

Regards,
Michal Laszczyk
AMD TSC

In order to update this service request, please follow the link below:
http://163.181.251.13/icssb2c_amd/in...=EN&topic=tran
sactions

Best Regards,
AMD Technical Service Center

SO, it appears that THEY ARE SOLD AS PAIRS. Yet they tell me to ask Newegg and Newegg tells me to ask AMD- very Frustrating!!

would someone whom has actually bought this please let us know the truth.
Shadow, dont you have yours on hand by now- you said you ordered some time ago??

I Got the motherboard today,and NCIX sells the processors seperately,each having it's own retail packaging,but has a recomendation on that very same page that they should be bought in pairs,wich makes sense given the price they're selling each(378$ can each)...Comes to about 330$ US each.

I know you're looking for this killer deal where both CPU's are in the same box and somehow,AMD is crazy enough to allow retailers to sell them 250~450$ under the MSRP,but it aint happening.....Only time that would happen is if AMD was going bankrupt...

Next up is the decision to get either DDR 2 667 or go whole hog and go for DDR2 800,since i've been reading the manual and it seems that in this particular board,DDR 2 800 is clocked at DDR2 750 speeds(375 mhz) for an odd reason,so given that and the cost difference where DD2 677 is already running at 333 mhz,doesn't seem to worth while to get DDR2 800 given it's rather higher price point(150~200$ extra over DDR 2 667 for 4 gigs in either case)

Overall memory bandwith with DDR 2 800(at 750 speeds),is listed as 21.4 gigs sec,with all 4 memory slots used and 2 processors installed,so DDR 677 under the same arrangement would still hit pretty close to 19 gig/sec of overall memory bandwith....Athlons in general have been known not to be that sensitive to memory bandwith like a Pentium 4 can be,so i'm left with that to decide...
Old 01-11-07, 07:47 PM   #103
shadow001

http://amd4x4.blogspot.com/

Blog of a Quad FX owner....
Old 01-12-07, 10:31 AM   #104
xhawk101

Quote:
http://amd4x4.blogspot.com/

Blog of a Quad FX owner....
Thanks much Shadow for clearing this up- Indeed you are right- you have to buy 2 boxes- it has been confusing for sure. AMD replied back to me again stating that 'they are not supposed to sell them separately'- well they are it seems.

anyway good luck w your build and let us know how it goes. not sure yet now between quad xenon or amd fx- i am not really interested in Kentsfield due to cost and the lack of the platform having a future.

Old 01-12-07, 10:59 AM   #105
shadow001

Seems i can get away with DDR2 667 and suffer no performance issues at all,since the owner of that particular Fx setup is only running 2 x 1 gig memory modules,so each processor is running in single channel memory mode anyhow....

So that comes to 10.7 gig/sec of the theoretical 21.4 gig/sec that the system can have in terms of memory bandwith,and it doesn't seem to have any performance drawbacks because of it...So it looks like i'll be using 4 1 gig sticks of DDR2 677 in dual channel memory mode for each CPU,and Win XP 64 bit to adress that memory amount properly....

It'll be quite a bit more memory bandwith that running 2 sticks of DDR 2 800 in single channel mode for each processor in any case...

Last edited by shadow001; 01-12-07 at 08:41 PM.
Old 01-22-07, 10:47 AM   #106
xhawk101

Quote:
Seems i can get away with DDR2 667 and suffer no performance issues at all,since the owner of that particular Fx setup is only running 2 x 1 gig memory modules,so each processor is running in single channel memory mode anyhow....

So that comes to 10.7 gig/sec of the theoretical 21.4 gig/sec that the system can have in terms of memory bandwith,and it doesn't seem to have any performance drawbacks because of it...So it looks like i'll be using 4 1 gig sticks of DDR2 677 in dual channel memory mode for each CPU,and Win XP 64 bit to adress that memory amount properly....

It'll be quite a bit more memory bandwith that running 2 sticks of DDR 2 800 in single channel mode for each processor in any case...

Well Shadow- how is it coming now i want an update!
Old 01-22-07, 03:33 PM   #107
shadow001

Quote:

Well Shadow- how is it coming now i want an update!

Processors are ordered since my local shop just can't get them,so i placed the order thru NCIX last friday night,with 2 day shipping....

Takes them 1 day to process the order,so i should have them in my hands on wednesday,and hopefully the system up and running by this weekend...
Old 01-24-07, 04:11 PM   #108
shadow001

Processors are in my hands and i bought XP pro 64 bit so that all 4 gigs of memory can be seen,and used,effectively...Next couple of days will be very busy(Exams) so i have to schedule the build this weekend.

That QuadFX blog has been updated in case some here haven't read it in a while...