Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-01-06, 05:57 PM   #13
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: DVI->HDMI and modelines

Can you point me to official documentation for your TV that shows that its capable of HDMI/DVI 1080i ?
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 06:23 PM   #14
Falkon

http://www.tacp.toshiba.com/televisi...p?model=51hc85

Click Resources, and open the owners manual. It's listed on page 48. I tried to attach the PDF file, but it didn't work.
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-06, 06:54 PM   #15
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Its not clear to me from the User's Manual what kind of input is required for 1080i.

You could try using read-edid to grab the EDID and see whether it truly has a true 1080i native mode:
http://john.fremlin.de/programs/linux/read-edid/
Old 12-01-06, 07:46 PM   #16
Falkon

it says HDMI 1080i 720p 480i
Old 12-02-06, 07:06 PM   #17
Falkon

Well, hooked up the Windows computer with the ATI card and Windows couldn't even display on the TV. The problem lies with Toshiba's incompatibility. Thanks for the help. There is absolutely no way for this to work with EDID. Is there a way I can get a modeline to work, ignoring EDID?
Old 12-02-06, 10:17 PM   #18
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Its unlikely without trial & error. You should report this problem to Toshiba.
Old 12-03-06, 12:04 AM   #19
pest_789

Netllama, you've just been presented with another TV 'oddly' not reporting its resolution correctly through EDID. Isn't it time to admit this COULD be an issue with the driver incorrectly USING the EDID data?? How many examples of this do you need to see before you bring it up with the engineers??

Falkon, go through this thread and you'll find a combination of a modeline at twice the frequency that SHOULD be required for 1080i and settings that stop the driver from rejecting it. I can't help you with 720p, however, as my TVs don't support it.
pest_789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 02:56 AM   #20
Falkon

I'll try the modelines. I looked and your sync and refresh rates are the same as mine, and the pixel clock entries are valid, so I'll see if I can't get these to work. Thanks.

Old 12-03-06, 03:36 AM   #21
Falkon

pest, I just want to say that I love you! IT WORKS! Ignore EDID and used the proper modelines you gave me, and BAM, HDTV and it looks GREAT! Thank you SO SO SO much. I had actually read that thread, but I didn't realize that your sharp display had the same parameters as my Toshiba HDTV sync and refresh are the same. This is PERFECT! Thank you everyone for your help. Now I can justify the money spent on this cable.
Old 12-03-06, 08:56 PM   #22
pest_789

Falkon, that's awesome to hear. Now if we can just get nVidia to do something about it so it 'just works' for everyone...
pest_789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 03:02 AM   #23
pe1chl

There currently is yet another tread http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=81581 of someone fighting with the EDID, but as usual netlama is ignoring any comments about this and pursuing the usual path of asking for the bugreport and then acting as if it is something wrong in the display.

But now there is a reference to an article on Wikipedia that explains that what NVIDIA is doing is simply impossible!
The "native resolution" in the EDID data is not accurate at all, at least not in some versions.
My opinion still is that the driver should not check things that are not important and are actually inconsistencies in external data like the EDID on which the user has no influence.
I.e., when the display says "native resolution 1280x768" and "modeline for 1920x1080 is ...", and the user says "use 1920x1080" then GO AHEAD AND DO IT, instead of stupidly rejecting modelines that are above the native resolution.

Native resolution could be a hint to a configuration program to set a default resolution for X, and nothing more. It should NOT be a base for rejecting modes, especially not user-provided or user-configured modes.
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-06, 09:05 AM   #24
Falkon

The working modeline has a LITTLE overscan, but it's definitely livable. I like watching House in HDTV!