Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-02-06, 06:19 PM   #1
Tehnoman

Default ALSA -> Asus mb [M2NPV-VM] sound -> HOW-TO?

Hello to ya' all!

I have searched i-net for a while, found huge amount of information about sound bugs and ALSA versions, but no luck. Sound card is found, but output contains this well known high pitch add-on...

So, I would be very grateful, if someone, who has got Asus MB sound working with ALSA drivers without that high pitch sound, could answer few simple questions:

1) Is ALSA version, which comes with kernel source (/usr/include/sound/version.h - if I'm correct), important and if yes - what version works?
2) Which parts of sound system must be compiled as module (when building kernel)?
3) Is the order of compilation (kernel -> ALSA lib -> ALSA utilities etc) important? Can I use different ALSA Lib version, than found in kernel? Would it change something?

I know, that there are bunch of information already in net, but my situation is little bit different - I followed CLFS project and compiled everything myself! And so as kernel + ALSA. But mainstream are using more common distributions, so in all information that I read I couldn't find answers to these specific questions. I have tried many things, including module loading with options model=3stack position_fix=1(2), but nothing - results are the same.

Hope that someone will help! Thanks!

EDIT: Forgot to tell. My mb model is M2NPV-VM (Similar to A8N-XX) with AD1986 sound chip.

Last edited by Tehnoman; 12-03-06 at 06:17 AM.
Tehnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-06, 07:12 PM   #2
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Default Re: ALSA -> Asus mb sound -> HOW-TO?

I'm running an Asus Crosshair board.. I wouldn't waste your time with the onboard card. When I did a fresh install of FC5, I was surprised that it detected the onboard card and installed the driver and it worked... BUT, as soon as I copied over some of the games I had installed from my old system, and went and run them. All I got was this high pitched screech/sctratchy sound. (Like someone running their finger nails down a blackboard).. And yet normal system sounds were fine.. So I disabled the onboard sound system, and installed my Audigy 1 or 2 sound cards, and the games were back to normal.. (With the exception of some of my really old games like Q2, Q3, ET and RTCW where I don't get any sound at all and get the error message like "Can't open /dev/dsp" Now that seems to be a problem with the ALSA drivers. I haven't found any way around that problem yet... (Although, I managed to get a SDL version of Q3 which is now working. But in games like Q2, ET, RTCW etc, still no luck with sound at all... Kind of reminds me of the RH7.0 days... 3D Video, and no sound, then Sound and no 3D video...)

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-06, 07:34 PM   #3
kenyee

Use the latest kernel and you should be fine...
kenyee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-06, 06:16 AM   #4
Tehnoman

Hmm... Latest kernel? I compiled and booted in v2.6.18.2, but it's same - when running speaker-test, I still have that high pitch sound in one (left) channel.

About wasting my time - as far as I found out, there are some, who was able to get integrated sound chip working with ALSA. And I have time. But a little help from those who have done it would be just in time.
Old 12-03-06, 12:37 PM   #5
Tehnoman

OK, some news...

I downloaded and compiled ALSA-driver v.1.0.13 and same library and utilitiies. So I hooked it up with kernel v.2.6.17.13. What is result - there is no more high pith sound. BUT speaker-test doesn't work right... It gives sound only to one channel all the time and loops. Can't really check wheter sound card is working in 2ch in 6ch or not...