Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-02-03, 02:55 PM   #1
gradzac

Send a message via AIM to gradzac
Question static version of nvidia libGL??

Is there a way that I can get a static version of the nvidia OpenGL library? I'm working on a program that I would like to statically link and libGL is the only dependency that is preventing me from linking.

Thanks,
Ben
gradzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-03, 03:41 PM   #2
Thunderbird

There won't be a static linked version of the nvidia libGL.so. Static linking is bad for OpenGL, it would limit you to the use of the nvidia drivers. Likely the reason no static lib exists is because of licensing. It would make linking with a GPL app impossible ..
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-03, 07:06 AM   #3
gradzac

Send a message via AIM to gradzac

Quote:
Originally posted by Thunderbird
There won't be a static linked version of the nvidia libGL.so. Static linking is bad for OpenGL, it would limit you to the use of the nvidia drivers. Likely the reason no static lib exists is because of licensing. It would make linking with a GPL app impossible ..
Why is static linking bad for OpenGL? Does it somehow change how the libs work? I know that the systems I will run my program on use nvidia hardware so I am not worried about being limited to that.

How do you think that licensing would be an issue? I'm not planning on releasing any of my software, so I am under no obligation to release source and I can do as I please with the source to GPL libs that I have.

NVIDIA: if you are going to release a shared lib in your package, why can't you also include a static one?
gradzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-03, 03:05 PM   #4
merlin42

Please explain why you want to statically link your app?

One of the major selling points of OpenGL is that it is hardware independant, statically linking negates this independance. In fact a statically linked application wouldn't even work with after a different version of the drivers was installed (libGL.so depends on the kernel module and the X drivers).

Providing a static version of the library would be a support headache for nvidia, and provide essentially 0 benifit to their customes (except you perhaps), I do a lot of OpenGL development and I have never had the need or desire for a statically linked libGL.so. If they did provide a static version then some idiot would (possibly unintentionally) statically link and redistribute an app, which would probably make nvidia look bad even though they were not _really_ to blame.

Well, now that I think about it I could imagine wanting to statically link Mesa so that you could have a reference version of your app that used a software renderer, but there is no reason to statically link a vendor supplied libGL.so.
merlin42 is offline   Reply With Quote