Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-04-06, 10:07 PM   #1
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Default Nvidia Video Card Firmware..

I've just been thinking that, would it be possible that some of these problems that we are encountering with the drivers, be related to firmware bugs on the video card we are using??? As from all of the Nvidia video cards I've purchased over the years, I've only ever seen one, that had a firmware update available for it.. (It was the TI-4600, if I remember correctly..And I can't remember what bug it fixed either) Every new card since then, there were no firmware updates at all?! (At least I couldn't find any on the MSI website, which are the brand of cards I use. And their driver update utility doesn't show any updates either) Now, since the firmware is SOFTWARE, just like any other application and software driver, it is also possible to have software bugs!! ... I haven't seen anything on this forum, which relates to problems with the firmware.. Any ideas??

Wolf

Last edited by Wolfman [TWP]; 12-05-06 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Title change
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-06, 02:21 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Nvidia Video Card Firmware..

In general the video bios is only used to initialize the videocard and system startup. Further the drivers use it as a source of information (about clockspeeds, voltages ...)

The problems you are seeing aren't related to the bios. In some rare cases the bios contains a bug which for instance doesn't initialize one of its outputs correctly so lets say the DVI-output or whatever doesn't work at system startup.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-06, 04:25 AM   #3
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Thanks Thunderbird.. But the question I thought I'd ask, wasn't only about my problems.. I know what the video bios does.. (I've written bioses before many, many years ago).. I'm sure the video bios does much more than that. So I'd say that there could be a possibilty that bios problems could cause some of the users problems on this board. (I have also known of OS patches to correct system bios bugs. Instead of just fixing the problem directly.. As it caused large array problems because of it)..

Just a thought, just something worth looking into..

Wolf
Old 12-05-06, 10:05 AM   #4
Demon Lord

This is something that bugs me as well, I always read replies to problem saying "make sure you have the latest video BIOS / try updating your video BIOS" when there's none to be found.
Demon Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-06, 10:45 AM   #5
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Demon Lord,
If you're referring to my requests, I was referring to the motherboard BIOS, not the VBIOS.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-06, 12:44 PM   #6
Demon Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Demon Lord,
If you're referring to my requests, I was referring to the motherboard BIOS, not the VBIOS.
I thought the manufacturer would fix both in a single package, though. Anyway, there is no BIOS update either :-P

(ps.: sorry, I didn't mean to be rude or anything)
Demon Lord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-06, 04:28 PM   #7
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demon Lord
This is something that bugs me as well, I always read replies to problem saying "make sure you have the latest video BIOS / try updating your video BIOS" when there's none to be found.
Yes, I noticed a couple of those types of posts too. But the majority of the ones I've seen relate to mother board BIOS's. There are a few unofficial video BIOS's going around (Mainly for overclocking and the like), but I'm not going to touch them, as they may cause even more problems.. (And god knows what other things they will mess up).

Wolf