Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-09-07, 02:45 AM   #49
DasFox

Default Re: nForce 4 corrupting data written to HDD

What file system does this happen on, all of them?
Old 01-09-07, 11:24 AM   #50
calestyo
Christoph Anton Mitterer

Send a message via ICQ to calestyo Send a message via AIM to calestyo Send a message via MSN to calestyo Send a message via Yahoo to calestyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by domasj
To conclude, my problems are gone. Appearantly the corruption was caused by the hardware issues.
Than it's highly unlikely that you had the same error that we're discussing at lkml.
calestyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 11:26 AM   #51
calestyo
Christoph Anton Mitterer

Send a message via ICQ to calestyo Send a message via AIM to calestyo Send a message via MSN to calestyo Send a message via Yahoo to calestyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpskidmore
Does this mean I've got a faulty motherboard, or is this just par for the course with nforce 4?
Difficult to tell,... look at the lkml threads and try our two workarounds. If they fix the problem it is likely that you simply suffer from the same error. If not you might have a damaged (i.e. in a way that it is not a design fault) mainboard or you suffer from another issue.
Old 01-09-07, 11:31 AM   #52
calestyo
Christoph Anton Mitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasFox
What file system does this happen on, all of them?
Yes, read the lkml thread for more information.
Old 01-10-07, 09:13 AM   #53
sanyock

Hi Ppl,

I have got a strange problem with slow NTFS crash on a new computer (assembled by me) after adding new memory module to it a day later after it was assembled.
Configuration: mobo: asrock am2nf2; Sempron AM2 3000+; 2xNCP 512Mb 667Mhz (old one and new problematic module) ; Seagate 80gb; Samsung 160Gb; New FSP 400W PowerSupply.
I noticed the problem only on the next day when the system did not boot.
First thing I did – executed memtest86 1.65+ for about 11 hours and it made about 20 passes without any errors after I turned the computer off. Also I tried windiag - also no errors.
I booted from recovery live CD and tried to check NTFS with chkdsk /f
It found many inconsistencies, index problems, etc. It tried to fix some chains but finally said it cannot continue and stopped. (Now I understand because its work was not stored correct on the hdd. Also it read incorrect information).
I tried to copy some important files to other computer on the network but most of them were damaged (due to MFT crash I guess)
Note: previously I used this Samsung drive for about 1.5 year without any problems. Checked it about every 3 months with chkdsk /f and everything was fine always. I was sure it is not a problem with HDD but to be sure I moved this HDD to another healthy Linux computer and tried to format it using mkfs –t ext3. Just after formatting done I tried to check the file system using fsck –f /dev/hda4 and it was fine. Then I moved HDD to problematic computer, booted from Gentoo 2006.1 mini install CD and found that fsck –f /dev/hda4 produced many errors, it was an IDE Samsung drive. To be finally sure it is not an HDD problem I purchased a new 401Gb SATA2 Samsung HDD and found it had the same problems on my mkfs/fsck test. On other healthy computer it passed mkfs/fsck without any problems. I tried to change linux kernel versions: 2.6.17; 2.6.18 it did not help. I tried to boot from Windows Live CD and format Samsung HDD on a problematic system. It refused to do this. I was very confused because other Seagate 80 Gb HDD worked fine on the problematic computer. It passed my mkfs/fsck test. So I understood it is problem with at least all Samsung (both SATA and IDE) drives and at least not with old Seagate drives. I tried to change the mobo and purchased new Gigabyte S3G-M55Plus and did not see any change with my problem. Later in forums I read that other people had similar problems on nForce chipsets with Maxtor, Hitachi, etc drives except Seagate. Also I was confused because other healthy system ran on am2nf3 motherboard purchased 2 weeks earlier than my second am2nf3 mobo with the same memory NCP.
Finally I decided to check this with each memory module separately and found that my mkfs/fsck test passed fine with two memory modules I purchased a few weeks ago in one shop and did not pass with the last module which was purchased in a different shop. I checked this on 3 mobo, two power supply modules, changed IDE and SATA cables many times. And the most confusing part was that all 3 modules passed all tests like: Memtest 86, WinDiag and MPrime (linux analog of Prime 95). So people if there are strange problems on your nForce(3,4,..) computers you may want to add a simple mkfs/fsck test to you collection of tests.
Happy End: Today I changed the module to similar NCP in the shop where previous one was purchased and it works fine so far. I had a backup of all the information and restored it.

Good Luck,
Alex
www.aulix.com

Last edited by sanyock; 01-10-07 at 10:25 AM.
sanyock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 09:19 AM   #54
calestyo
Christoph Anton Mitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanyock
Hi Ppl,

I have got a strange problem with slow NTFS crash on a new computer ....
This is most probably not related to the issue discussed at lkml.

Best wishes,
Chris.
Old 01-10-07, 12:45 PM   #55
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

To update those who have reported this problem; I've reproduced the corruption, and it is currently being investigated by development.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 03:06 PM   #56
calestyo
Christoph Anton Mitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
To update those who have reported this problem; I've reproduced the corruption, and it is currently being investigated by development.
That's good news.
Is it the same problem that was discussed at lkml (the one solved by iommu=soft or memhole mapping disabled) or the "other"?

Best wishes,
Chris.

Old 01-10-07, 03:09 PM   #57
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I've seen both problems.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-07, 03:51 PM   #58
jalvarez

I have an ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe with 1 GB RAM and have had many data corruption issues. I have 3 questions related to this problem:

1) Is it related to 4GB systems only?
2) Where is the "disable memory hole mapping" option in the bios?
3) Does it require to recompile the kernel or it may be solved by just adding "iommu=soft" at boot time?

Regards,

Jaime
jalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-07, 04:21 PM   #59
calestyo
Christoph Anton Mitterer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalvarez
1) Is it related to 4GB systems only?
It is related to systems that use the (hardware) iommu and memory hole mapping. Both won't be used with 1GB.
Anyway,.. you might test the current "workarounds".... but I think you have a different problem

Quote:
2) Where is the "disable memory hole mapping" option in the bios?
This depends on you BIOS vendor. In my BIOS its unter Hammer Config.

Quote:
3) Does it require to recompile the kernel or it may be solved by just adding "iommu=soft" at boot time?
Adding at boot time would be enough.
Old 01-17-07, 07:18 PM   #60
jalvarez

@calestyo: Thanks for your answer. I had hoped that I finally found the solution... anyway, the bug described in this thread is still being investigated, so it may be related after all. As a matter of fact, I had to use Ubuntu live CD after the last corruption, and as soon as I learned about the iommu thing I booted it (the live cd) up using iommu=soft and got different error messages when trying to connect to the damaged disk at boot time, compared to when I didn't set iommu=soft.
jalvarez is offline   Reply With Quote