Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-06-06, 05:33 AM   #1
klnv

Default Legacy driver does not work/install on recent Linux distros

The legacy driver does not work properly under recent linux distributions like SUSE 10.0 and later, Mandriva 2007 and FC6.

The very same legacy releases (7174-7184) used to work like a charm on earlier versions of all major distros (Mandriva 2006, SUSE 9.3, FC4 etc.)

I have an Inno3D Geforce2 Ti (AGP) video card, but this problem may affect any other video card supported through the legacy driver.

Now on to the problems with each distro:

M2007: the driver apparently installs correctly, I get the NVIDIA splash screen, everything seems to work fine but when I start any 3D-accelerated game I am getting an error message. A Wolfenstein Singleplayer demo output is attached. Apparently a GLX or OpenGL thing but I am clueless on it.

SUSE: the driver does not even install. I tried the workaround described here but no joy. I posted some logs that may be useful.

FC6 logfiles will follow soon due to the limit on the size of attachments.

I understand the legacy releases do not support the newer kernels in recent distros. Does anyone know if NVIDIA are planning to release an updated legacy driver anytime soon? After all these drivers are supposed to work without any patching and tweaking, very much like they did under older distros...

Please also note that I am relatively new to Linux, though not a complete newbie either.

Thanks a lot in advance for your help. Suggestion on either of these distros would be helpful.
Attached Files
File Type: txt M2007_output_wolfspd_crash.txt (2.3 KB, 79 views)
File Type: log M2007_nvidia-installer.log (19.1 KB, 95 views)
File Type: log SUSE10.1_nvidia-installer.log (22.5 KB, 98 views)
File Type: log SUSE10.1_SaX.log (48.9 KB, 75 views)
klnv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-06, 05:50 AM   #2
Sblantipodi

Default Re: Legacy driver does not work/install on recent Linux distros

my card will be soon a legacy card. I've got NV20 (GeForce 3).

I supposed that nvidia support newer kernel/distributions also with legacy driver.
This is not true?

Do you mean that there is now way to use an nvidia legacy driver with a Fedora Core 6 and a vanilla 2.6.19 kernel?
Sblantipodi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-06, 06:34 AM   #3
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

There are two problems that I can see from your ET output..

1. The driver doesn't seem to have installed properly, as ET is trying to open mesa (Software GL) libraries. (Re-Install the Driver again)

2. That version of ET is out of date.. (Latest version being 2.60). The original release will still run ok, but will have problems with the video settings. (A bug in that version).

I don't have access to legacy Nvidia cards (I have two GF3's, I use them in my servers, so I'm not touching them) to test the legacy drivers.

Wolf

Last edited by Wolfman [TWP]; 12-06-06 at 08:15 PM.
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-06, 01:21 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

klnv,
In your SuSE installer log I see:
-> Installation of the NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86
(version: 1.0-7174) is now complete.

I'm not clear why you think the driver didn't install. Also, 1.0-7174 is not the latest legacy driver, you should be using 1.0-7184 if you're having any problems with 1.0-7174.

Wolfman already explained why your game isn't working properly in Mandriva.

Sblantipodi,
Your NV20 will remain supported in the 1.0-96xx driver branch.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-06, 06:22 PM   #5
klnv

Sblantipodi,

At least I do not manage to get my GF2Ti work under FC6, you or anyone equipped with such a legacy card may run into the same problem...
Old 12-07-06, 06:24 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

klnv,
As I noted earlier, the installer log that you posted indicates that the driver was installed. If you're experiencing problems, please detail them, and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 12-07-06, 06:26 PM   #7
klnv

Wolfman [TWP],

The Mandriva 2007 outputs are in fact a result of at least two full reinstalls (M2007, driver, 3D games, everything).

The game is not ET, however, but the playable singleplayer demo. I understand you are talking about the multiplayer version of the same game.
Old 12-07-06, 06:43 PM   #8
klnv

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
klnv,
In your SuSE installer log I see:
-> Installation of the NVIDIA Accelerated Graphics Driver for Linux-x86
(version: 1.0-7174) is now complete.

I'm not clear why you think the driver didn't install. Also, 1.0-7174 is not the latest legacy driver, you should be using 1.0-7184 if you're having any problems with 1.0-7174.
The NVidia splash screen did not show up, the system appeared to attempt to load X several times, then started SaX but changing settings there solved nothing.

Recently I took the time to reinstall SUSE 10.1 Remastered, the 7184 driver and some 3D games from scratch, now everything seems to work fine.

Thank you very much for your suggestions.

Quote:
Wolfman already explained why your game isn't working properly in Mandriva.
The Mandriva thing remains unsolved, however. The logs may be fine, even the NVidia splash screen appears as it should, but all 3D games crash with odd error messages. I will do one more full reinstall and post some relevant logs.

Thanks to all of you for your help, I will post some more info on Mandriva 2007 and FC6.

Old 12-07-06, 06:48 PM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If you're experiencing problems, please detail them, and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 12-07-06, 07:04 PM   #10
klnv

Quote:
If you're experiencing problems, please detail them, and attach an nvidia-bug-report.log.

Thanks,
Lonni
Please find it attached (Mandriva 2007)
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (83.5 KB, 98 views)
Old 12-07-06, 08:06 PM   #11
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by klnv
Wolfman [TWP],

The Mandriva 2007 outputs are in fact a result of at least two full reinstalls (M2007, driver, 3D games, everything).

The game is not ET, however, but the playable singleplayer demo. I understand you are talking about the multiplayer version of the same game.
Yeah, same game engine, so you would have had the same result. Either way, there is an update, as both RTCW & ET (RTCW is multi-player as well, ET was a fully working, self contained game of it's own, there was no need to have the full version of RTCW to play it) had similar problems, with their first releases.. I run the FULL retail version of RTCW, and had to update it as well, to fix the video stuff.. Good to see it's finally working in SUSE.. And good luck..

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-06, 08:33 PM   #12
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

klnv,
What problem are you reporting?