Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 12-06-06, 08:49 PM   #37
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

Default Re: ASUS Striker Extrene "strikes out" at [H]OCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiKiMaN1
I'm just glad the members at [H] are making a big deal out of the Clear CMOS Button because that IMO is one sweet feature for overclocking.
Why is it "sweet"? You only save 10 seconds vs the normal jumper method. I certainly wouldn't base a purchase on that feature.
Old 12-06-06, 09:11 PM   #38
ArrowMk84

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mag
Why is it "sweet"? You only save 10 seconds vs the normal jumper method. I certainly wouldn't base a purchase on that feature.
Previously, Asus required you to pull the battery after pulling the jumper. And when that battery is buried a card (such as my X-Fi and my <hopefully soon> second GTX), the button makes life much easier.

The reason I'm glad to see the [H] members getting on Kyle et al about the jumper and there overclocks vs XtremeSystems is because it demostrates that [H] didn't take the time to RTFM and do a thorough review. This board behaves a bit differently than other Asus products and other 680i boards, but they assumed previous experiences would translate into 100% knowledge on how to use this board. It calls the entire review into question, and it calls [H]'s reputation into question, especially after the C2D reviews (which was more of a "don't spend your money" article instead of a true review).
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1
Old 12-06-06, 09:14 PM   #39
TiKiMaN1

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Mag
Also [H] says you have to wait like 10 mins before starting up again which completly false. I should know I just pushed the button 4 times in the last 20 mins with the settings I was trying.
Old 12-06-06, 09:23 PM   #40
ArrowMk84

Quote:
Originally Posted by TiKiMaN1
Also [H] says you have to wait like 10 mins before starting up again which completly false. I should know I just pushed the button 4 times in the last 20 mins with the settings I was trying.
That's almost certainly because they were pulling the battery. This board does not like have the battery pulled. It resets the system time, and for some reason that causes problems with POST.
Intel i7-2600k @ 4.6GHz | Asus Maximus IV Extreme | 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance 1866 MHz 9-10-9-27 | Dual EVGA GeForce GTX 580 3GB | Creative X-Fi Titanium Pro PCI-E | Intel 510 Series SSD 120 GB | 2x Raptor 600 GB RAID | 2TB WD Black | Lite-On 21x Blu-ray Burner | Corsair AX1200 Modular PSU | Silverstone FT02 | Corsair H60 with Dual Fans | Dell 3007-HC 30" LCD | Audioengine 5 & S8

Old 12-06-06, 10:39 PM   #41
TiKiMaN1

CHECK THIS OUT KYLE @ SoftOCP!

Well I think I have found a new stable overclock!!!!

3.625GHz !
Old 12-06-06, 10:53 PM   #42
stevemedes
Intel Virgin

Send a message via AIM to stevemedes

Tiki, drop your multiplier and see how high you can go on the FSB?
Old 12-06-06, 11:19 PM   #43
TiKiMaN1

Well after 5 loops in 3DMark06 3.625 became unstable. Like your saying Steve maybe its time to up the FSB.
Old 12-07-06, 01:18 AM   #44
JoKeRr

can u drop the multiplier to 7, and crank up the FSB as high as u can?? I mean u tested the frequency limit already, it's around 3.6ish ghz, now push the FSB as high as u can, as long as frequency doesn't reach 3.6ghz, u know u're not frequency limited-->so must be the max fsb.

also, ran your ram 1:1.. Not trying to play down your result, but the high frequency != the high FSB kyle was talking about in his review.
P4 3.0C 30 capper @3.6ghz 1.475V Vcore, Asus P4P800, Gigabyte Geforce 6800GT with NV5, 2x512mb Crucial BallisitiX 2.5-2-2-5 at DDR480, samsung 172T, Enermax Noisetaker 475W, TR XP-90 +panaflo 92mm high, 200gb Seagate, 250gb Maxtor SATA, + 80gb Maxtor, 80gb Raptor ADFD!! D-Link 108mbps PCI wireless card + Atheros Driver, MS Intellimouse Explorer 3.0, Logitech Elite Keyboard

Laptop: Toshiba A100-OFH: Core Dual A2050--1.6ghz X2 @ 533FSB, 1gb DDR2, 15.4'' WXGA glare screen, DVD-RW, 100gb HDD, Intel GMA950, WinXP SP2 Home edition, Office XP

Old 12-07-06, 02:08 AM   #45
FrgMstr

Just for the record, let me set a few things straight.

Nobody was banned over this Striker thread. That is assinine. Tikiman44 even ASKED to be banned. Someone did though look to lock themselves out of their own account by changing some information and inputting a nonworking email address that cannot be used to retrieve a changed password today....this afternoon. So don't make me the bad guy here, as it seems that someone else is FLAT OUT LYING to others about my actions.

Yes, we got it wrong about the CMOS clear button, sorry, we changed that, thanks. To be perfectly honest, I was not really worried about the issue with the CMOS button given the fact that we were having OC troubles with the board. I am unsure why it is a big issue with some others.

I wish the Striker would have been all it was cracked up to be, but the simple fact is that the experience we had with it was fairly poor given our expectations. Two independent reviews with seperate test equipment verified this of our board as well as a third party with another board. Our experience of course does not dictate yours. It is not the first time we have seen different results than a reader. Given that, it is our duty to pass along to our readers what our results were when verified. ASUS was told about the issues before Thanksgiving and have had NO SOLUTIONS for us. We pointed this out in the review.

As for me responding quickly to your replies today and you thinking that is sad, well, I had some time today to do some forum surfing.....like right now. I love our forums and like to be a part of them. I love talking to our readers and giving them our side of the story. It was obvious that Tikiman44 showed up today in our forums to start trouble with his comments. Water off a duck's back bro. Sorry he did not get the reaction he was looking for. It's just a mobo and ain't worth getting upset about..unless of course you paid $400 for one that does not perform! Ouch.

As for checking out Conroe OCs...you can find mine on the leaderboard of our database for the E6300...stable. The post is here. And I will leave a screen with you.

Hey, is that my lowly E6300 ($166 CPU on a $100 cheaper mobo) running as fast as your E6700 ($500 CPU on a $100 more expensive mobo)???

We do what we do, and we are glad that folks question us and hold our feet to the fire on a daily basis. It makes it fun and it makes us do a better job. As for all the name calling, well, as I have learned first-hand, that just erodes the ground you are standing on and makes your arguments look weak.

Hey Tiki, nice Alienware box, my mom has a mean one too.
Old 12-07-06, 02:27 AM   #46
Zelda_fan

I'm assuming this is Kyle from [H], right?

First off, I'd like to say I appreciate the fact that you actually come down in the forums to discuss something like this.

Second off, not everyone thinks you did a bad job in that review. I found it pretty informative, actually.

However, I wish you'd investigate your review a bit further when others criticize it. I mean, people are bashing the review for a reason. I wish you'd do sort of a "follow-up" review. That is, wait until the BIOS software has time to mature and see if ASUS can fix the problems.
Old 12-07-06, 02:35 AM   #47
J-Mag
Weapon of MassConsumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArrowMk84
Previously, Asus required you to pull the battery after pulling the jumper. And when that battery is buried a card (such as my X-Fi and my <hopefully soon> second GTX), the button makes life much easier.
Ahh OK, that would be irritating. I haven't used an ASUS board in a year and a half. The most recent few DFI's I have gone through don't require the battery to be unseated to clear CMOS, so I had assumed that had become standard.
Old 12-07-06, 06:12 AM   #48
ArrowMk84

Kyle, in your review you guys state that

Quote:
The system would sometimes POST at 400MHz FSB, but it wouldn't actually boot to Windows. In cases where it would, the system would hard lock and have to be powered off.
Yet I can run 400 MHz FSB every day with no problems:

I don't know what settings you guy used, but the brevity of the entire overclocking section leads me to believe you didn't spend a lot of time going through all the options. All my board needed to be stable was just a little more vNB, and all the other motherboard voltages automatically adjusted themselves in response to the vNB, vMem and vCore settings I used.

And then there's the whole RTM issue with the ClrCMOS button, but I've already shared my thoughts on that on your forum.

The focus of your conclusions came down almost exclusively to the OC ability, and either through a bad sample and/or user error, you didn't get good results. No explanation of the settings you used, you just condemned the board as massively overpriced, when others have had much better OCing experiences than you. Something does sit well with me about that.

Last edited by ArrowMk84; 12-07-06 at 09:52 AM.
Closed Thread