Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-07-06, 12:21 PM   #1
litri
Update Machine

Question Beginner OCing X2 4800+

Hi,

I know there is another thread which is self-explanatory about OCing, but i have some questions that you might help me to clarify.

For the start i went to the mobo (see sig) bios options and set the overclocking options to manual, then i pushed the FSB frequency to 219 which is the maximum my memory sticks (see sig) cand handle at the lowest timings (dunno if they could go higher), i locked the pci-e frequency to 100 and left everything else at default (HTT x5, FSB Multiplier and so on), I booted up into XP with no problems and the first thing i did was to run Everest, Sisoft Sandra (i know those are not demanding test) to see that i had the gain i was expecting, of course, performance improved.

After toying around with the PC playing some games for like 30 min. i wondered if that wasn't enough and trying to be really sure about stability i run Prime95. To my surprise, the PC could not even finish the first test (are there more?) in the torture run and got an error seconds after it started.

I tried then to run all the CPU and Memory test from Rightmark Memory Analyzer and everything went perfect, i was shocked.

What is wrong with Prime95? Could you give some tips as to how far can i push this processor with air cooling?

Another thing that worries me is that the HTT bus is running at 1095 mhz...

Is the HTT speed the problem?? Is there a way to lock it?

Thx.
Asus M4A79 Deluxe
2x VTX3D 4850 1GB
1x WD Raptor 450 GB
1x WD Raptor 300 GB
1x WD Caviar se 160 GB
1x Plextor Premium CD-R\RW 52x/32x/52x
1x Plextor DVD-R\RW PX-760SA
Coolermaster CM690-II Advanced
Super Flower SF-1000P14HE Amazon 80plus

Last edited by litri; 12-07-06 at 01:27 PM.
litri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-06, 05:39 PM   #2
sillyeagle
sillyego

Default Re: Beginner OCing X2 4800+

Well I have heard you never want to go above 1000 on HTT, but 1095 doesn't seem to bad. You can set it to 4x and test jsut to see if that is the issue.

Also set your memory multiplier down as well jsut to make sure your memory is not at fault.

Basically if you are trying to find your highest stable CPU clock make sure your memory and HTT are at or below their stock speeds, to put the fault point squarly on the CPU. That way you can be sure the CPU is causing the lock and not something else.

I run a 4xHTT and 333Mhz memory, that way with a 250MHz bus I am right at 1000HTT and my memory is running at 415MHz. My CPU sits at a nice stable 2.75Ghz that way.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 12-07-06, 07:06 PM   #3
Bman212121

I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to raise the HTT, as it is the transport between the CPU and the rest of the pc. It is stock at 1000, so you should be fine at 1100 since that is only about a 10% increase. Like sillyeagle said, you can drop the multi for the HTT to 4 and then raise the FSB more. If you don't drop the multi, then you will run into problems with going to high on the HTT.

Your best best is to drop the multiplier for the HTT and the ram below their stock speeds, and slowly increase the FSB until the system isn't stable anymore. Then back it off a touch, and bench it. You may need to add a little bit of voltage to make it fully stable. You don't need to pour on the voltage, just only add enough to keep the processor stable at that FSB.

Once you figure that out, then you can try playing with the HTT and ram and get them back to stock or a little above depending upon your settings.

As you can tell, Prime95 is a really intense CPU test, as it can quickly show if the cpu is going to produce errors. Other tests won't load the cpu nearly as much, and won't always show possible problems.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-06, 10:42 PM   #4
sillyeagle
sillyego

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121
I'm not sure why you wouldn't want to raise the HTT, as it is the transport between the CPU and the rest of the pc.
From what I have seen there is no performance gain in raising HTT, and if its taken to high (more than 1100) it can lead to premature failure, or so it has been said. There is a lot of info out there suggesting its not good to overclock HTT, though I know there are also a lot of guys doing it. Personally I would say if there is no performance gain then why add more stress to it?

I benched it my self to verify if there is in fact no performance gain and that seems to be the case.
EVGA Intel X58
Old 12-07-06, 10:44 PM   #5
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillyeagle
From what I have seen there is no performance gain in raising HTT, and if its taken to high (more than 1100) it can lead to premature failure, or so it has been said. There is a lot of info out there suggesting its not good to overclock HTT, though I know there are also a lot of guys doing it. Personally I would say if there is no performance gain then why add more stress to it?

I benched it my self to verify if there is in fact no performance gain and that seems to be the case.
Okay, thanks for the info!

I'd agree if it isn't going to make a difference, there is no point in raising it then.
Old 12-08-06, 03:53 AM   #6
litri
Update Machine

Quote:
Also set your memory multiplier down as well jsut to make sure your memory is not at fault.
Do you mean the FSB multiplier?, because i donīt see any other multiplier in my mobo settings (i told you i was a beginner ).

Quote:
So far, changing the HTT to 4 and keeping the rest as it was didn't change anything in the system, I mean, the Prime 95 problem is still happening (i does not finish). So, you are right, so far HTT does not affect stability if pushed up no far than 1100.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bman212121
Your best best is to drop the multiplier for the HTT and the ram below their stock speeds
Isn't the memory multiplier derived from the CPU multiplier?.

Thx to all, i'll try when i get home.
Asus M4A79 Deluxe
2x VTX3D 4850 1GB
1x WD Raptor 450 GB
1x WD Raptor 300 GB
1x WD Caviar se 160 GB
Old 12-08-06, 03:05 PM   #7
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by litri
Isn't the memory multiplier derived from the CPU multiplier?.

Thx to all, i'll try when i get home.
The CPU multi and the memory multi are seperate.

It's technically a divider for the memory. The FSB is what everything is based off of. The HTT is a multiple of the FSB, as is the CPU multi, and the memory is actually considered a divider. So when you are chaging the FSB, you can change the memory from a 1:1 ratio, (Same speed for both) to something like 2/1.66 (memory will be slower than fsb.) So say your fsb is a stock 200. If you changed the memory divider to 2/1.66, it will lower the memory to 166MHZ, which is PC2700. That's how you can run lower speed ram without losing system stability.

What board do you have, there might be a way to change it.
Old 12-08-06, 04:12 PM   #8
litri
Update Machine

Got it!! it was not under any "memory divider" menu, but as soon as i changed memory settings to "manual" the "memclock" divider appeared.

I have tweaked with it, HTT at 4x and i upped the CPU voltage a little bit like you said and this is what i have got: Prime 95 torture test running for one hour without errors!!! I had to stop the test to do other stuff, though.

Mem voltage is still on "AUTO".

Both pics at idle in XP

Forgot to take some pics after Prime95.

System is stable. Could i push the FSB to reach again DDR400 at the timmings i am using (2-3-2-5-1T)? Do i really have room to push more??

Thx for all the tips, dudes.
Asus M4A79 Deluxe
2x VTX3D 4850 1GB
1x WD Raptor 450 GB
1x WD Raptor 300 GB
1x WD Caviar se 160 GB

Old 12-08-06, 05:43 PM   #9
hydr0
DFi & Wii

Send a message via AIM to hydr0

Quote:
Originally Posted by litri
System is stable. Could i push the FSB to reach again DDR400 at the timmings i am using (2-3-2-5-1T)? Do i really have room to push more??

Thx for all the tips, dudes.
Not sure what chips your memory modules use, but, BH5 chips eat voltage some like over 3v to get stable at really high speeds, others like my samsung UCCC chips like lower volts. 2.7v at 255mhz is the sweet spot for mine. However I would like to point out 2 things to you. When priming, you have to run TWO instances of prime95 one for each core and assign each core to one instance of prime95, if you run one then you are only testing 50% of each core.

Another is: your memory timings are pretty tight, so if you run into stability issues loosen them a tad. say 2-3-3-6. HTT is important to keep very near or below 1000, in fact raising it will give you NO performance gains. If you are going over 200mhz fsb, lower the multi for HTT to 4x....thats it, nothing more to be said about that. You won't lose any performance. Another thing---ensure your PSU is up to the task and watch temps like crazy when overclocking. If i didnt have to go to the bathroom so bad I'd be more in depth lol.

Please visit dfi-street.com and READ the overclocking tutorial as well as proven research that proves cpu mhz is king over timings, and htt and etc on these AMD platforms. BTW, priming is good, but it needs to at least pass for 12 hours at the minimum. 24 hours is consider rock solid by most people- i call 12-16 hours good enough for me.

Make sure you do a custom torture test and allocate 800MB for every GB you have. Don't just run the standard torture test.
XFX Geforce 7900GS Extreme 256MB PCI-E x16 @ 620/820
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Gamer Edition
Seagate 750GB - SATA | Maxtor 200GB - PATA
NEC Black DVD+/-RW ND-3550A - | Lite on DVD+/-RW SOHW 1633S
OCZ GameXStream 600watt

http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/sf/type/2/kolhydro.png
hydr0 is offline   Reply With Quote