Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: How long until the PS3 HD DVD addon comes out?
6 months 8 18.60%
12 months 10 23.26%
18 months 3 6.98%
24 months 22 51.16%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-06, 09:54 AM   #13
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me

Default Re: Time till PS3 HD DVD addon

Never. I believe Sony will take Blu-Ray to the grave with them if need be rather than admit defeat.

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 10:05 AM   #14
LurkerLito

Never would really the only choice. I couldn't see any possibility that any official Sony player would ever come out.

Third party Linux would be a possibility though, using a USB addon drive like the MS one, but I doubt it would be free, someone has to pay the HD-DVD consortium their royalties to get a decryption key. Though it would be rather ironic if the only universal player was the PS3. Still it would be an unfriendly player boot normal to play BR and boot to Linux to play HD-DVD.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 10:12 AM   #15
lightman

Send a message via ICQ to lightman

Never.
lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 10:57 AM   #16
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSVT
Never. I believe Sony will take Blu-Ray to the grave with them if need be rather than admit defeat.
I second that one. Sony is too ashamed to admit BR is crap and is too expensive to make. Heck, I'm still waiting on the VHS add-on for the PS3. That'll be the system seller right there.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 11:16 AM   #17
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsessom

BluRay is Sony technology (which it has been spending lots of money marketing).
No it's not... Sony is just the most outspoken member from the BRA so everyone associates Blu-Ray with them.
Old 12-08-06, 11:20 AM   #18
Namrok
Level 42 Conquerer

Send a message via ICQ to Namrok Send a message via AIM to Namrok

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
No it's not... Sony is just the most outspoken member from the BRA so everyone associates Blu-Ray with them.
Something the rest of the BRA may be coming to regret
Namrok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 11:27 AM   #19
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrok
Something the rest of the BRA may be coming to regret
Thats true... Sony has a big mouth that gets them introuble often but for BR to be officially deemed dead the entire Association would have to agree it dead which most members wouldn't since they too spent ALOT of money developing BR.

What I see happening is in a year or so, they will release another version of BR that will be cheaper since the cost is the only thing HD-DVD really has on BR. Video quality is due to poor encoding on the disc since they both support the same codecs for audio and video, which means if they can actually be even to HD-DVD quality.

Oh and those that think the recent problems are due to Stringer need to get a clue. He was put in charge to fix these problems with Sony's PR and out of focus with consumers. Alot of the things you have seen in the past 2 years were due to the old CEO, You can't change a giant company instantly but if you look at the recent changes they are being more consumer focused. They removed Kutaragi from a development position who never thought of the consumers aswell as they are restructoring and selling alot of assets that were just failing. Stringer said himself that he wants to bring back the Sony that developed the Walkman... if it can be done, who knows...
Old 12-08-06, 11:32 AM   #20
superklye

Quote:
What I see happening is in a year or so, they will release another version of BR that will be cheaper since the cost is the only thing HD-DVD really has on BR. Video quality is due to poor encoding on the disc since they both support the same codecs for audio and video, which means if they can actually be even to HD-DVD quality.
Not true...HD DVDs are also quicker/easier to produce and they've got the hybrid discs with HD DVD on one side and SD DVD on the other. I know a number of people that are buying those discs already because they don't have the money for an HD DVD player yet, but they can spend a bit more on movies they want now so that when they CAN afford an HD DVD player, they've got the movies in HD already.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-08-06, 11:34 AM   #21
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Not true...HD DVDs are also quicker/easier to produce and they've got the hybrid discs with HD DVD on one side and SD DVD on the other. I know a number of people that are buying those discs already because they don't have the money for an HD DVD player yet, but they can spend a bit more on movies they want now so that when they CAN afford an HD DVD player, they've got the movies in HD already.
Cheap = Quicker/ease to manufacture... As for the hybrid discs... I really don't give a crap on my end... When DVDs released I just bought the movies I had on VHS and then threw out my VHS tapes...
Old 12-08-06, 11:37 AM   #22
superklye

Quote:
Cheap = Quicker/ease to manufacture...
Fair enough.

Quote:
As for the hybrid discs... I really don't give a crap on my end... When DVDs released I just bought the movies I had on VHS and then threw out my VHS tapes...
It doesn't really matter if you or I care about those because we fall into the technical elite. I'm talking about Joe and Jane America who don't know sh!t about sh!t but know that HD is the way things are going but can't afford to invest in an HDTV or one of the players.

They buy an HD DVD/DVD hybrid now so they can watch their movies in SD and then down the road, they've got them in HD, too. Like I said, I know a LOT of people doing this already. It may not be a big deal to us, but to average consumers, it is. That's the main reason my dad is considering HD DVD.
Old 12-08-06, 11:44 AM   #23
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Fair enough.

It doesn't really matter if you or I care about those because we fall into the technical elite. I'm talking about Joe and Jane America who don't know sh!t about sh!t but know that HD is the way things are going but can't afford to invest in an HDTV or one of the players.

They buy an HD DVD/DVD hybrid now so they can watch their movies in SD and then down the road, they've got them in HD, too. Like I said, I know a LOT of people doing this already. It may not be a big deal to us, but to average consumers, it is. That's the main reason my dad is considering HD DVD.
Well look at the comparison between nextgen movie formats and the shift to DVD. Did you ever see any DVD/VHS hybrids? I think only a small percentage of the population knows or cares about the hybrids, right now the biggest concern is price. Even right now the price difference between HD-DVD isn't much on the media side... its the players that need to shift.

If the price of BR Players can actually drop sometime in the next 5 years... and Sony actually make enough PS3s while the movies get better encoding then I can see BR outlasting HD-DVD... but thats alot of "ifs".
Old 12-08-06, 11:47 AM   #24
superklye

Making a DVD/VHS hybrid comparison is just retarded.