Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: How long until the PS3 HD DVD addon comes out?
6 months 8 18.60%
12 months 10 23.26%
18 months 3 6.98%
24 months 22 51.16%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-06, 11:50 AM   #25
|MaguS|

Default Re: Time till PS3 HD DVD addon

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Making a DVD/VHS hybrid comparison is just retarded.
Why? It was a shift in movie media just like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is trying to do now... It's the SAME thing... We went from one inferior format to a superior one, no one cared about having to repurchase movies they already owned on VHS on DVD. Why can't the same happen with the nextgen media?

You used Hybrid DVDs as a selling point of why HD-DVD is superior but I shown you that it doesn't matter for the majority of the population as long as the price is there.
Old 12-08-06, 11:57 AM   #26
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Why? It was a shift in movie media just like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is trying to do now... It's the SAME thing...
No, it isn't. One disk to another disk is NOT the same as a cassette to a disk.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 11:58 AM   #27
superklye

Quote:
Why? It was a shift in movie media just like HD-DVD and Blu-Ray is trying to do now... It's the SAME thing... We went from one inferior format to a superior one, no one cared about having to repurchase movies they already owned on VHS on DVD. Why can't the same happen with the nextgen media?
It's not even close to being the same thing because a DVD/VHS hybrid isn't physically possible.

And again, you aren't looking past yourself and your other technically superior buddies. I know PLENTY of people that still have their VCRs and VHS tapes because they can't justify rebuying their movies until the VHS version craps out.

Quote:
You used Hybrid DVDs as a selling point of why HD-DVD is superior but I shown you that it doesn't matter for the majority of the population as long as the price is there.
You haven't shown anything. You've only talked about yourself and what you think is important.

Hell, if anything, you've proven what I have been saying: if people really all were like you describe yourself as being (just throwing away your VHS collection and replacing with DVD) that's an even bigger sticking point to the hybrid discs. If they don't have an HD DVD player now, they buy the hybrid and only have to buy ONE copy instead of $20 for the DVD and then $25 more a little later on for the same movie in HD. Most people don't like blindly throwing away money from my own personal experience.

EDIT: And this may be a shocker to you, but I just heard on the radio this morning that only about 15% of Americans have an HDTV.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 12:03 PM   #28
|MaguS|

Quote:

EDIT: And this may be a shocker to you, but I just heard on the radio this morning that only about 15% of Americans have an HDTV.
Not really a shocker since My parents and both my roommates don't own an HDTV. The one in our living room is mine aswell as I have one in my bedroom.
Old 12-08-06, 12:06 PM   #29
superklye

I was honestly a bit surprised by that and then I realized that most people's live don't revolve around the latest and greatest in technology like mine does.
Old 12-08-06, 12:08 PM   #30
|MaguS|

Quote:
I was honestly a bit surprised by that and then I realized that most people's live don't revolve around the latest and greatest in technology like mine does.
Pfft, My roommate was still using a Geforce 2 MX till I forced him to upgrade.
Old 12-08-06, 12:12 PM   #31
superklye

Quote:
Pfft, My roommate was still using a Geforce 2 MX till I forced him to upgrade.
Hahaha...my roommate has a P4 2.0GHz, 256MB RAM and a GF4 MX and saw my playing FEAR and was like, "DUDE! TAHT IS AW3S0M3!!!!1 Can I play?" He thinks that since he got "the best stand-alone video card Dell had to offer in this desktop model almost 5 years ago" that he can play anything.
Old 12-08-06, 12:18 PM   #32
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namrok
Yeah, but even Sony made VHS players after a while.
Exactly.

Old 12-08-06, 12:20 PM   #33
evilchris

Quote:
What I see happening is in a year or so, they will release another version of BR that will be cheaper since the cost is the only thing HD-DVD really has on BR. Video quality is due to poor encoding on the disc since they both support the same codecs for audio and video, which means if they can actually be even to HD-DVD quality.
It's a lot more than that Magus. HD DVD was defined in an intelligent manner with STANDARDS and MANDATORY features for releases. BD is a free for all.
Old 12-08-06, 12:55 PM   #34
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
It's a lot more than that Magus. HD DVD was defined in an intelligent manner with STANDARDS and MANDATORY features for releases. BD is a free for all.
Speaking of standards, I thought I read somewhere that Dolby TrueHD was the mandatory soundtrack for HD DVD, but of the 10 discs I own, I think only 3 or 4 of them actually have it while a few others have Dolby Digital+ and DTS-EX.
Old 12-08-06, 01:04 PM   #35
kev13dd

Quote:
Hahaha...my roommate has a P4 2.0GHz, 256MB RAM and a GF4 MX and saw my playing FEAR and was like, "DUDE! TAHT IS AW3S0M3!!!!1 Can I play?" He thinks that since he got "the best stand-alone video card Dell had to offer in this desktop model almost 5 years ago" that he can play anything.
My friend had the same card- a GF4 MX. And he played CSS and NFS and Doom 3 and any game that came out. He said they all ran pretty nice- that his card must have been "special". When I upgraded my computer I gave him my 5900XT. He says that its "slower" and that his games look "worse"

I call it "DX7 bliss". As long as he never saw a faster computer playing a game in beautiful DX9 with AA and AF, then he would always think his was playing them nicely

K
Maybe the guys at Shugashack should play around with their gamma correction just a little bit because most of the screenshot are so dark you can't get an idea of what this game is really going to look like
In reference to Doom 3 screenshots from 2001
kev13dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-06, 01:12 PM   #36
LurkerLito

Quote:
Speaking of standards, I thought I read somewhere that Dolby TrueHD was the mandatory soundtrack for HD DVD, but of the 10 discs I own, I think only 3 or 4 of them actually have it while a few others have Dolby Digital+ and DTS-EX.
Actually IIRC under HD-DVD Dolby TrueHD was mandatory to be able to decode in the player not mandatory to have a soundtrack of on the disc. BR on the other hand doesn't force that option decoding to the hardware manufacturer, that is why instead of Dolby TrueHD on the BR discs lossless is stored as LPCM lossless.

Main PC: Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe ; Intel i7-3770k ; GSkill Ripjaws X Series 16GB DDR3 2133 (2x8GB) ; Seasonic X Series X-1050 PSU ; Corsair H100 ; EVGA GTX-670 ; Mushkin 240GB SSD system drive
Old PC: ABIT IP35 Pro ; Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 ; Patriot 6GB (3x2GB) DDR2 800 RAM ; EVGA GTX480 SC ; Antec P190 Case ; EnzoTech Ultra120 CPU Cooler
LurkerLito is offline   Reply With Quote