Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: How long until the PS3 HD DVD addon comes out?
6 months 8 18.60%
12 months 10 23.26%
18 months 3 6.98%
24 months 22 51.16%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-09-06, 05:13 PM   #85
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default Re: Time till PS3 HD DVD addon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
funny. HD-DVD doesn't have to advertise worth squat, and sales wise it is beating the crap out of bluray.
When consumers get to the retailer, they will see that their BR options are one of the following: 1) PS3, which is $500 at the low-end but isn't available anywhere or 2) the Samsung standalone player which is $1000. A standalone HD-DVD player is $500 at the most, $200 if you already have a 360. Then you get to the movie section and there are far more HD discs on the shelf than BR.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 05:40 PM   #86
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo 13
I own a PS3 and have the 360 with the HD addon. I want to say that Sony will not let this format die. They will keep releasing their movies on it and screw up both formats. My problem with this war is gamers think they will help win this war when in reality it's the average joe consumer. If you have a HDTV then you most likely have the HD channels and what I see on these HD channels like Discovery HD and HD Net is them pimping blu-ray like crazy. Also when you go to retailers they will try to get you to buy the blu-ray player since they make more money off of it. They will point out to the customers about the amount of Stuidio support blu-ray has.
Studio support to me means studios releasing movies. HD wins.
Old 12-09-06, 06:12 PM   #87
Lyme

People should not forget that Sony's UMD format once supported by many studios has been dying a painful death the last year. Sony trying to pimp BD without putting out more is going to doom the format.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 06:24 PM   #88
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
People should not forget that Sony's UMD format once supported by many studios has been dying a painful death the last year. Sony trying to pimp BD without putting out more is going to doom the format.
People should not forget that BD is NOT A SONY FORMAT while UMD is, meaning that UMD was only supported in a single device while BD has many manufactures making players, not just Sony.

Also UMDs failure was due to studios still pricing the movies high even though they offered less features for the same price of a DVD. If UMD would have been priced at $10 per movie aswell as Sony resticting movie playback on Memory Sticks better (people ripping DVDs and putting them on MD didn't help).
Old 12-09-06, 06:33 PM   #89
Bad_Boy
god of war.

Send a message via AIM to Bad_Boy

I think UMD biggest problem was that no other device could play the thing. It was cool, delivered great quality on those little screens, and had studio and retail backup. But it really really needed more hardware that supported it. Sony should of outsourced it to other handheld companies, or atleast put it more devices that they owned.

Anyways, thats my 2 cents on UMD. Blu-ray is definately a different situation.
Old 12-09-06, 06:35 PM   #90
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
People should not forget that BD is NOT A SONY FORMAT while UMD is, meaning that UMD was only supported in a single device while BD has many manufactures making players, not just Sony.
Right, but Sony is the biggest proponent of Blu-Ray and to most people Blu-Ray = Playstation 3 = Sony.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 07:05 PM   #91
Bearclaw

They will do it eventually. I ahve no idea when but I would imagine once they realize that people might want HD DVD over BR or both, etc. they will make a add-on
Old 12-09-06, 09:15 PM   #92
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|

Also UMDs failure was due to studios still pricing the movies high even though they offered less features for the same price of a DVD. If UMD would have been priced at $10 per movie aswell as Sony resticting movie playback on Memory Sticks better (people ripping DVDs and putting them on MD didn't help).
BD is priced higher than DVD and has feature strip problems. Every HD DVD has *at least* what the DVD had. Some BD releases are completely stripped and only have the movie.

Sony corporate policy of having a BIG MOUTH has made it *own* BD, whether you like it or not.

Old 12-09-06, 09:19 PM   #93
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearclaw
They will do it eventually. I ahve no idea when but I would imagine once they realize that people might want HD DVD over BR or both, etc. they will make a add-on
Honestly the only people I know who "prefer" BD are PS3 fanboys. No movie or A/V fan does.
Old 12-09-06, 09:28 PM   #94
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
Honestly the only people I know who "prefer" BD are PS3 fanboys. No movie or A/V fan does.
Not true.

PS3 fanboys and complete effing retards. I'm talking to these idiot n00bs at a NIN forum because everyone there "has heard from someone else taht bl00 rRAeY is teh zhit!!1" instead of actually reading news to see that consumers prefer HD DVD. It's getting to the point where I want to drive off a cliff because they won't even believe cold hard facts.

Idiots.

But since Rob Sheridan (the man behind the production of the new NIN HD DVD/BR release) said that the quality on the BR version would be better than the HD version because they'll be using a dual-layer BR disc which will allow the movie to be encoded at double the bitrate of the HD DVD version, then obviously Blu-Ray is the best format and will soon win because Rob said it was "better."
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 09:44 PM   #95
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Not true.

PS3 fanboys and complete effing retards. I'm talking to these idiot n00bs at a NIN forum because everyone there "has heard from someone else taht bl00 rRAeY is teh zhit!!1" instead of actually reading news to see that consumers prefer HD DVD. It's getting to the point where I want to drive off a cliff because they won't even believe cold hard facts.

Idiots.

But since Rob Sheridan (the man behind the production of the new NIN HD DVD/BR release) said that the quality on the BR version would be better than the HD version because they'll be using a dual-layer BR disc which will allow the movie to be encoded at double the bitrate of the HD DVD version, then obviously Blu-Ray is the best format and will soon win because Rob said it was "better."
The great thing about idiots is that they typically don't have a lot of money. So there is no way they'll be able to afford "teh blu-ryy"
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-06, 09:45 PM   #96
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
The great thing about idiots is that they typically don't have a lot of money. So there is no way they'll be able to afford "teh blu-ryy"
Tell that to the people who were paying $2-3k for PS3's this year on Ebay.

No, I'm serious. Please tell them they are idiots...then beat them. And put it on YouTube for our enjoyment.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote