Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Windows Graphics Drivers

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-24-06, 05:08 AM   #169
JemyM

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM
Post Re: Summary of 8800 Game Issues

Splinter Cell 4: Double Agent
... singleplayer is supposed to have a driver issue that insta-crash the game when loaded with the game launcher. 97.44 gives you an error report, in 97.28 it just drops you to desktop. Even if you bypass this problem using the provided "solution", the ingame graphics is severly corrupted and unplayable. Appearently you can "solve" the graphic errors by turning off HIGH DETAIL SHADER, but ofcourse that makes the game look like crap.

Official info
We are sorry for the confusion. Although the issue with Call of Juarez is fixed, the driver which was recently released does not contain this fix. The fix was introduced into driver version 97.60 and above which is newer than the 97.44 driver which is currently available. As for Splinter Cell, the issue is caused by the launcher for Splinter Cell and we are working with the developers to correct this issue through a future patch. To override the launcher, please do the following:
1. Navigate to the game install directory, then change to the sub-folder /SCDA-Offline/system 2. Create a shortcut to splintercell4.exe. 3. add "-ll"(2 lower case L's not 11) to the command line of the shortcut. 4. use this shortcut to launch the game.

(I tried this myself and it helped)

Call of Juarez
Note that according to the info about Splinter Cell 4: Double Agent, Call of Juarez is supposed to be fixed in 97.60

Runaway 2: The Dream of the Turtle
The game freezes as soon as you see the mousepointer, forcing a reboot. Again it seems they are on it.

Translated from french
"It seems that the owners of a graphics board NVIDIA GeForce 8800 encounter a problem with Runaway 2.

Nvidia and Pendulo Studios are already with the current of the problem and seek a solution. This problem does not appear with the other graphics boards Nvidia GeForce. Only series 8800 is concerned with this problem.

The resolution of the problem will certainly be included in the patch envisaged for Runaway 2, or in the form of new drivers for GeForce 8800 by Nvidia."

Sanitarium
I do not expect to get a fix for this considering the age of the game. The game worked perfectly with 7900GTX but as soon as I updated to 8800GTX the cutscenes was corrupted. Sanitarium uses SMACK videos (SMACK32.DLL) and playing them in windows with the latest RADTools is ok. Playing cutscenes in the game it looks terrible. The graphics outside the cutscenes looks ok.

Last edited by JemyM; 12-24-06 at 05:19 AM.
JemyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-06, 08:07 AM   #170
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger
Default Re: Summary of 8800 Game Issues

Driver 97.60 hey? Would have been nice before everyone went away on holidays... Oh well
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-06, 11:21 AM   #171
AdamK47

For some reason I cannot get C&C Generals or Zero Hour to start. It stops on the splash screen and quits. It fails to load the game. Could someone else try it out with their system?
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-06, 11:52 AM   #172
epithumia
urk

I was able to get Zero Hour to start by copying the configuration file from another machine. I believe the game crashes when trying to do video mode detection; try just editing the config file and manually specifying the resolution.

I note that once in game, certain operations like the fade out of the loading screen and the display of the after-game statistics are terribly slow. Gameplay, however, seemed to be fine most of the time. I did have one issue with serious texture corruption which was cured when I quit and restarted the game.
epithumia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-06, 11:58 AM   #173
badboy64

I am getting corrupt characteters in PainKiller Black Editon. They look all stretched out and disfigured.
eVga GTX280(Physx card)
3x2GB OCZ DD3 1600 7,7,7,24@1.65v
3x60GB OCZ Vertex in Raid-0(SSD)
Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit RTM
Coolit Elite
PC Power & Cooling 910watt Silencer
badboy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-06, 01:29 PM   #174
AdamK47

Quote:
Originally Posted by epithumia
I was able to get Zero Hour to start by copying the configuration file from another machine. I believe the game crashes when trying to do video mode detection; try just editing the config file and manually specifying the resolution.

I note that once in game, certain operations like the fade out of the loading screen and the display of the after-game statistics are terribly slow. Gameplay, however, seemed to be fine most of the time. I did have one issue with serious texture corruption which was cured when I quit and restarted the game.
Do you happen to know what that configuration file is? I don't see any ini or cfg files. Thanks.
Old 12-24-06, 03:08 PM   #175
AdamK47

I would also like to add that Freedom Fighters does not work at all with any G80 driver.
Old 12-24-06, 04:50 PM   #176
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy64
I am getting corrupt characteters in PainKiller Black Editon. They look all stretched out and disfigured.
Painkiller is perfect with my GTX running 97.44 drivers.

Are you running with all the patches?
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-06, 05:02 PM   #177
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

This happens to me in Oblivion every once in a while, dealing with a lighting effect probably. (or side effect...)

Using the 97.44 drivers.

Old 12-24-06, 05:10 PM   #178
AdamK47

I'm going through and installing all my games onto my RAID array. I'm going to post in this thread anything I have wrong with the games I have loaded. So far...

Dark Reign 2: Video corruption to the point where I get a blue screen with nv4disp.dll faulting.

Emperor Battle for Dune: Locks up before getting into the game.

Giants: Gets to the menu fine. Crashes when starting a new game.

GTA 3: Textures tearing and discolored in the menu and in the distance.

GTA Vice City: Same as GTA 3.

Hegemonia: Changing the resolution results in a spectacular flashing effect that would put anyone with epilepsy into seizures.

Omikron: Very VERY bad texture corruption.

Prince of Persia SoT: Massive studdering.

Quake 3: Vsync does not enable - leftovers from nVidias Quake 3 cheating days.

Red Faction: Missing/Flashing textures.

Return to Castle Wolfenstein: Same as Quake 3. No vsync.

Star Trek Armada: Locks up before getting into the game.

Tropico: All text washed out and unreadable in hardware mode.

I'll update this entry as I go through my game collection.

Edit: Fixed Unreal Engine game issues. Was another dual core problem. Used imagecfg on the executables to fix that.

Last edited by AdamK47; 12-26-06 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-24-06, 07:34 PM   #179
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamK47

Deus Ex IW: Locks up at the menu screen right after the logos.
thats because of Dual Core, if you have AMD dual core install the AMD Dual Core Optimizer and all will be fine
Old 12-24-06, 09:48 PM   #180
AdamK47

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
thats because of Dual Core, if you have AMD dual core install the AMD Dual Core Optimizer and all will be fine
I had the game working at one time with my Ati 1900XTX. This was with a Core 2 X6800. Since I've reinstalled Windows and have an 8800GTS I can no longer get into the games menu.