Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-10-06, 03:45 AM   #1
kidkangaroo

Default Trouble installing 7950 GX on Fedora Linux

First time posting - can't seem to find anyone with a problem like this - so here is goes:

Running XP with VMWare RH FC 6 installed.
Dual Intel Core 1.86Ghz
Nvidia 9750 GX video

I've tried downloading and running:
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9742-pkg1.run
and
NVIDIA-Linux-x86-1.0-9631-pkg1.run

Both star right off by saying "You do not appear to have an NVIDIA GPU supported by the 1.0-XXXX ... " blah blah blah. The README do not have this card listed. Are there other drivers I should be using? Are drivers going to be released for this card for Linux?

Anyway...

The install can continue - it tries to find a kernel at Nvidia - then it builds on on it's own - then it says Unable to load the kernel module "nvidia.ko". This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of ccc that differs from the one used to build the target kernen, or if a driver such as rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernal module form obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics deviscs."
it tells me to check the log files...

When I check the logs it says, "NVRM: No NVIDIA graphics adapter found!".

Is this because I"m running VMWare?

Thanks in advance for your help!
kidkangaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-06, 07:14 AM   #2
rimcrazy

Default Re: Trouble installing 7950 GX on Fedora Linux

What is your host system? If your host system is XP, and FC6 is running in VMware as a guest OS then there is no need to install the nvidia drivers. The video driver for the guest OS is inside VMware tools. To get the full resolution of your screen you need to install the VMware tools. Check out the VMware forum for help installing the VMware tools :

http://www.vmware.com/community/index.jspa

although I find the VMware doc's to be quite good.
rimcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote