Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-10-06, 04:13 AM   #1
tnunamak

Default 9742 drivers work perfectly but stop after rebooting; during install can't find path?

I've had a lot of trouble getting dual-head working properly with games and everything... finally I downloaded the script to install the 9742 drivers, logged in as super user, exited X server, and ran the script. Along the way I got a message along the lines of

"You appear to be using a modular X.Org release. nvidia-installer was unable to determine the correct X library installation path with the 'pkg-config' utility. Please install the X.Org SDK/development package for your distribution."

The installation continued and when I started X server again, everything worked perfectly. When I reboot, however, the nvidia module fails to initialize and the drivers are basically useless.

Help?
tnunamak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-06, 11:06 AM   #2
alaric
Cyber Jedi

Default Re: 9742 drivers work perfectly but stop after rebooting; during install can't find p

It sounds like the nvidia kernel module is not automatically loaded.
Try (as root): modprobe nvidia
If that loads, and X starts after that (type: startx), then this is the case.

thus:

reboot
(X doesn't start)
sudo modprobe nvidia
startx -- -logverbose 5

If X still doesn't start, run nvidia-bug-report.sh (as root) and
attach the resulting log file here (possiblly first compressing it).

Alaric
Old 12-10-06, 12:00 PM   #3
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 9742 drivers work perfectly but stop after rebooting; during install can't find path?

See: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-06, 12:53 PM   #4
tnunamak

Default Re: 9742 drivers work perfectly but stop after rebooting; during install can't find p

Ok... I'm using Fedora and yum (my package manager) sees pkgconfig. When I install it though, it wants to remove around 90 packages for dependency issues......

Is there any way to avoid that?
Old 12-10-06, 01:19 PM   #5
tnunamak

Alaric, tried that and it didn't work
Here's the nvidia-bug-report.log file.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (142.4 KB, 100 views)
Old 12-10-06, 01:24 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 9742 drivers work perfectly but stop after rebooting; during install can't find path?

I don't understand your question with respect to pkg-config, as you shouldn't be removing anything. Specifically which command(s) are you running?

According to your bug report, you're using the the 'nv' X driver, not the 'nvidia' X driver.

-Lonni
Old 12-10-06, 01:58 PM   #7
tnunamak

I think it says I'm using the nv drivers because it can't load the nvidia ones I tried installing (my apologies for being fairly new to linux).

Stupid mistake on my part, in my package manager I thought pkgconfig was in the list of packages that can be installed, when really it was in the list of packages that can be removed... meaning I already have it. I did not, however, have xorg-x11-server-sdk. I just installed that and I'm going to try again with the drivers, I'll post back here.
Old 12-10-06, 02:28 PM   #8
tnunamak

Same problem, but it didn't give me the same error it did before... it looked like it installed as it should, but unfortunately it isn't working after rebooting, just like before.

This time I generated a bug report before rebooting when the drivers are actually working as they should.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (125.5 KB, 104 views)

Old 12-10-06, 04:47 PM   #9
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I need to see a bug report that captures the problem that you're reporting. A bug report generated while everything works doesn't tell me anything useful.
Old 12-10-06, 05:07 PM   #10
crakarjax

I had this problem for a while, in the end I removed all drivers using both "yum remove" and then sh NVIDIA... --uninstall. Next, remove all kernels with yum, then reinstall the newest one. Then try installing the drivers using yum.
crakarjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-06, 05:08 PM   #11
crakarjax

soory, uninstall all kernals in case the driver version does not match your kernel.. sometimes multiple kernels on a system confuses the installer.
crakarjax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-06, 05:36 PM   #12
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Multiple kernels on the system do not confuse the installer. The installer always builds against the kernel that you are running, unless instructed to do otherwise.