Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-10-06, 10:44 PM   #1
alaric
Cyber Jedi

Unhappy Need Help. New FX6200 causes system to be very unstable.

I've tried everything I can but it has not improved

I had a rock solid machine with the FX5200. Bought a FX6200 because I need the higher clock for a new LCD screen. The ONLY thing that is different is that I put in the new card - and then the system becomes extremely unstable as soon as X is started: one monitor is 'restarting' constantly (going black for a second and then returning, often in a different mode) and over all parts of the screen are not drawn or garbled. The system becomes VERY slow in response.

I've tried all driver versions 1.0.8776 and higher. It made no difference (that is, the lower the version the more unstable the system became; apparently the error recovery has improved). So, I might as well use 1.0-9742, as the version seems not related to the problem.

Note that I can use X when I put in the option NvAGP 1, but in the logs I then see: NVRM: not using NVAGP, an AGPGART backend is loaded! So, apparently that means that AGP is disabled. This is weird because it is impossible to unload agpgart: it is needed by intel_agp, which is already loaded at boot time. I see no way to test this without agpgart

The attached nvidia-bug-report.log.gz was made after I left X again, because the system is too unstable to open a terminal window. If it is needed to run nvidia-bug-report while X is still running then please tell me and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks,
Alaric

PS The last thing I did was upgrade my motherboard BIOS to the latest version available.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (22.9 KB, 100 views)
Old 12-10-06, 10:55 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Need Help. New FX6200 causes system to be very unstable.

Here's the basic issue:
(WW) NVIDIA(0): The NVIDIA X driver has encountered too many errors. Falling
(WW) NVIDIA(0): back to legacy PCI mode.

If effectively disabling AGP 8x rates eliminates the instability, that suggests that either the AGP driver has a bug, or your motherboard AGP is potentially unstable at the higher clock rates of the GeForce 6200.

You might want to try building a new kernel without intel_agp support, and see if that helps at all.

Thanks,
Lonni
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote