Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA FreeBSD

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-05-07, 01:52 PM   #13
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Will we ever see an amd64 NVidia driver for FreeBSD?

To the best of my knowledge, the various obstacles still stand, e.g. the pmap_change_attr() interface doesn't handle large pages on FreeBSD/amd64 and the mmap() character driver callback doesn't allow drivers to specify a memory type for the mapping. As to device cloning, it unfortunately turned out to be too immature to support; it doesn't block a FreeBSD/amd64 port, though.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-07, 05:25 PM   #14
anonuser

Can you explain the current obstacles that prevent FreeBSD in having better support for nvidia cards?

I guess what I'm looking for is what still stands? And what is most needed for better support? And I can concentrate effort on bringing the API's and implementations up to speed.

Its over 1 year later and I'd like to see what headway has been made and what needs to be done.
anonuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-07, 07:27 PM   #15
Freaky

PAT support just got MFC'd.
Freaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-07, 12:28 PM   #16
dcrosstech

So... now that we have the MFC... ETA on the driver? at least a BETA? even an Alpha anything!
dcrosstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-07, 01:12 AM   #17
llwang

Now that the PAT patchset has been MFC'd. We would really like to know the current status on planning to support FreeBSD/amd64, and whether there is still any obstacle.
llwang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 11:42 AM   #18
dcrosstech

Indeed, we (the FreeBSD community) have ponied up. (Note that there were previously workarounds offered on the mailing-lists for the issues mentioned, but those were not good enough, so we delivered PAT.. And its not like this was new, it was in -CURRENT for awhile so things could have started to have gotten going.) Yes we took our sweet time, and I am not pounding my fists on the table saying today, now, gimme, etc.. but I'd like to keep momentum here.
dcrosstech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 04:59 PM   #19
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

I double-checked with John Baldwin on this and it looks like the FreeBSD kernel is still missing required functionality. For example, pmap_change_attr() doesn't break down large pages (the direct mapping, etc.) and the mmap() interface hasn't been updated to allow character drivers to specify memory types for mappings, etc.. For a detailed list of feature requests, please see: http://marc.info/?l=freebsd-hackers&...7983106569&w=2; unfortunately, the status data appear to be mostly unchanged.

An exception is the per-open instance data feature request: the FreeBSD kernel provides some support for this via cloning devices; the NVIDIA FreeBSD graphics driver used this interface for a while, but bugs/limitations and differences between kernel versions made it necessary to revert to regular device nodes.
Old 06-02-07, 02:55 AM   #20
kastein

Thanks for the informative posts about what's actually missing. I was going to post in one of the other threads and pound my fist on the table and demand support, but decided to read up on the issue first. Guess I'll look at the list of required functionality and see if I can help with getting it written.
kastein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-28-07, 05:07 PM   #21
gitrema

Will we see an AMD64 driver for upcoming FreeBSD 7 release?

What do you think? Is there too much work to do?
gitrema is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 05:21 PM   #22
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Unfortunately, I don't expect FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE will have the relevant kernel features.
Old 06-28-07, 08:17 PM   #23
Harvey Pooka

For anyone that wishes to see the current state of the necessary changes in FreeBSD: http://wiki.freebsd.org/NvidiaFeatureRequests

zander, is that page correct in what is needed?
Harvey Pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-07, 09:09 PM   #24
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@Harvey Pooka: I've only looked at it briefly, but I believe so. My original email still mostly reflects the needs and status, with the exception of device cloning, which looked like it would work, but didn't due to various technical problems (e.g. interaction with stat(2)). One solution for this that was suggested by a FreeBSD developer is to pass down the equivalent of a 'struct file*' from the devfs layer. I'm told that work on some of the other interfaces like pmap_mapdev_attr() and pmap_change_attr() is on hold until the superpages work is complete. If I recall correctly, there are tentative ideas/plans for the mmap(2) interface, as well, but nothing concrete, yet.