Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 12-12-06, 02:09 PM   #1
slick
Play with conviction.

Default Dragon Quest IX DS Bound

It was confirmed at the recent Square-Enix conference that DQIX would be making it's way to the DS. This is not a series spinoff, this is DQIX. Pretty big slap in the face to Sony; Japan's biggest RPG won't be going to the PS3. That, and it's another nail in the PSP's coffin. As if the DS wasn't widly popular enough in Japan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1UP Article
Horii admitted that he recognizes the limitations of the DS but is doing his best to create a groundbreaking adventure on the platform. He wanted to make clear that DQIX is "not a spinoff or a side story; it's a true part of the series." He says he is shooting to have it ready in 2007.
We know that it is being developed by Level-5, and that there will be 4 player co-op over WiFi available. Supposedly battles will be more action-based, possibly real time? They're shooting for a 2007 release date.

Sources:

http://www.famitsu.com/blog/express/2006/12/ixds.html
http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3155838
http://ds.ign.com/articles/750/750590p1.html

Pictures:

Videos:

http://www.gametrailers.com/umwatcher.php?id=26799 (gameplay!)

Last edited by slick; 12-12-06 at 05:27 PM.
slick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-06, 02:15 PM   #2
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Default Re: Dragon Quest IX DS Bound

Wow I may actually have to buy a DS...

Its not like it needs to be on ps3, the series' graphics have never been that ground breking.

But i mean come on, I hate handheld systems. Cant they put it on PC??
Old 12-12-06, 02:53 PM   #3
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by slick

It was confirmed at the recent Square-Enix conference that DQIX would be making it's way to the DS. This is not a series spinoff, this is DQIX. Pretty big slap in the face to Sony; Japan's biggest RPG won't be going to the PS3. That, and it's another nail in the PSP's coffin. As if the DS wasn't widly popular enough in Japan.

We know that it is being developed by Level-5, and that there will be 4 player co-op over WiFi available. Supposedly battles will be more action-based, possibly real time? They're shooting for a 2007 release date.

EDIT: I will be picking this up aslong as it releases in the states.
How is a nail in Sony's Coffin? They could still release a DQ game on the console? Square released Final Fantasy 3 on the GBA, does that mean the PS3 is doomed aswell? Hell Final Fantasy XIII is exclusive to the PS3 aswell as Level 5 bringing their own RPGs to the Sony Platform (Rogue Galaxy and their next outing).

Sorry just because the DS is getting a game doesn't mean anything for game consoles...
Old 12-12-06, 03:05 PM   #4
slick
Play with conviction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
How is a nail in Sony's Coffin? They could still release a DQ game on the console? Square released Final Fantasy 3 on the GBA, does that mean the PS3 is doomed aswell? Hell Final Fantasy XIII is exclusive to the PS3 aswell as Level 5 bringing their own RPGs to the Sony Platform (Rogue Galaxy and their next outing).

Sorry just because the DS is getting a game doesn't mean anything for game consoles...
Where did I say that it was a nail in Sony's coffin? OH RIGHT, I didn't; I said it was a nail in PSP's coffin. Whatever limited (comparitively speaking to the DS) market it has in Japan, this sure as hell isn't going to bolster that.

And you're quite right, I'm sure that DQX will come to a console, but if I had to guess, that console will end up being the Wii.

Final Fantasy 3 on GBA? You mean on DS? Or are you refering to America's Final Fantasy 3 (now correctly labeled Final Fantasy VI) coming out for the GBA next year? Either way, it's a game that has already been out for YEARS in Japan.

EDIT: DS is getting it's own FF aswell. FFXII: Revenant Wings. Not it's own numbered game, but rather a post XII game, still it's own standalone story though.

Magazine Scan 1
Magazine Scan 2
Magazine Scan 3

And yes, while the Final Fantasy series is popular, it isn't nearly as popular as the Dragon Quest series (in Japan).
Old 12-12-06, 03:06 PM   #5
Zelda_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|

Can't wait till they announce that FFXIII is being developed for the 360. Sony is royally screwing up every step of the way. Devs jumping ship is the writing on the wall.

BTW will defiantly buy this game for the DS.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-06, 03:07 PM   #6
Ninjaman09
Takin 'er easy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
BTW will defiantly buy this game for the DS.
Me too - my major complaint with DQVIII was very long loading times in between battles and zoning - this should be a non-issue with the DS's format.
CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX
Dell U2410
Ninjaman09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-06, 04:13 PM   #7
msxyz
Hybrid Microprocessor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
Can't wait till they announce that FFXIII is being developed for the 360.
If Blue Dragon succeed in selling the projected goal of 200K copies in Japan before the end of the year and 1M in the rest of the world, I bet Square will have second thoughs on having FF XIII solely for the PS3. But, so far, Square support for the Xbox 360 has been nothing but promises and a sci-fi shooter.